“Good hotel above a lovely pub” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel de Poshoorn
Stationsstraat 47, Maastricht 6221 BN, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #30 of 40 Maastricht B&B and Inns
Manchester
“Good hotel above a lovely pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

We stayed 2 nights in De Poshoorn pub/hotel last week. We were on the top floor so it was quiet. Paid 70 euros per night for a double room with en suite. I think this is good value in Maastricht. The room was quite small, with twin beds which were very comfortable. The bedding was new. We didn't have breakfast because we would rather lie in on holiday.
The hotel has a good location near the city centre and train station and the staff were really nice. The bar downstairs is great for both meals and an extensive range of local and Belgian beers.
Only complaint, they didn't have a hairdryer.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

11 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Lanarkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2007

I have stayed twice at the Hotel Poshoorn, both times booked for me by a business associate to visit him in Maastricht. The hotel is above a bar on Stationstraat, which is the main thoroughfare to the train station. The area immediately outside the hotel doesn't have much traffic and this is good. However, especially at weekends, there can be some noise associated with the revellers downstairs and those leaving other bars nearby.

To check into the hotel, go to the hotel bar. There you will receive a key, map, details of the hotel (in Dutch) and a coupon for a welcome drink. To access the rooms, you leave the pub and go up the street to the side of the bar, where one of the keys will open the door to the hotel area. The side street is well lit and not narrow. There is no elevator for the hotel but a narrow-ish and quite steep staircase to the rooms and so is not recommended for the elderly, very young or those with mobility difficulties.

I stayed in room 4 both times so can only comment on this room. It is above the entrance door on the side street and had two twin beds pushed together to make a double. The room had a tv, two windows, two chairs, small table, large plant, wardrobe with hangers and some decorative prints of Maastricht. The decor was ok, some very minor scratches to woodwork etc but in good condition. Two radiators could heat the room although I did not use these. The tv showed various language channels, including Dutch, French, German and English (CNN, BBC1 & BBC2). Soundproofing was not brilliant, I could hear toilets flushing and other residents walking around their rooms. Coupled with the noise from the pub downstairs (including occasional bad singing!), this is why I chose the title of the review - good for beer, not for a quiet night!

The room was en-suite, and the bathroom was quite small. It contained a toilet, sink and shower cubicle. No toiletries were provided, only a soap dispenser attached to the wall. Four towels were also provided and were clean. The toilet flush was decent, but the sink had a dripping tap. Also, the water did not drain easily or quickly from the shower tray. However, at least the water pressure and temperature of the shower was good. The shower cubicle and toilet looked a little grubby, as though it hadn't been scrubbed for some time, but was clean enough.

Breakfast was served in the pub downstairs from 7-10 during the week, 8-10 at the weekend. Breakfast consisted of coffee or tea, hard boiled eggs, cheese, cold sliced meat, various breads and spreads including butter, honey and chocolate spread. There was not a large quantity but the hotel was very small (I think only 6 rooms or so). I also managed to find a wifi connection that was not encrypted but was also not held by the hotel.

The hotel is close to the train station, bus stops, some restaurants and is a 10 minute walk from most tourist attractions/restaurants e.g. Vrijthof, Markt.

I would stay at the Hotel Poshoorn again. It is not the best hotel that I have stayed at, but it's ok and not too expensive. If you're after a clean bed for the night, then it's exactly that. However, it's not luxury and it can get noisy.

• Liked — Proximity to train station
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vadnais Heights, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2005

We have stayed at the Hotel Poshoorn many times over the last several years. I just wanted to respond to the previous review.
Our last stay there was just two weeks ago. We have stayed in maybe three different rooms there. I would not recommend it for families, due to the stairway and fact that it is above a smoky bar. We usually stay on the 3rd floor and have never been bothered by noise from the bar...although I would imagine in the summertime, if you have your windows open, you will hear bar patrons outside.
I am disappointed in the maintenance of the hotel. We stayed in the same room that we stayed in last September. The safety handle in the shower was loose then, and is still loose. Lightbulbs need replacing, sheets were not changed during our 6 night stay...
As much as I hate to say it (as we have always been treated well there and I love the big windows), I think we will be staying at a different hotel next time we go to Maastricht.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2005

The best thing about this hotel is its' proximity to the train station, a 5 minute walk. The price was reasonable, as well.

One of our first problems was climbing 4 flights of stairs with a 3 and 4 year old which is next to impossible (even more so if you have large luggage).

The cafe downstairs is possibly the smokiest place I've ever been. When you first check in, you have to go through the bar. I felt terrible for my kids to have to breathe all that smoke. However, once you're checked in, you can use the side door.

The first night we stayed there was some sort of party going on (I think it was in the bar) that kept me up until 2am. Thankfully, my children were able to sleep through it (don't ask me how).

In terms of cleanliness, I'd say this was somewhat dusty. The furniture is old and needs replacing. The twin beds that we had were adequate but the rollaway bed provided (so that they could call it a quad) seemed very rickety and would never hold an average sized adult. My son only weighs 36 lbs, thank goodness.

I would not stay here again. I'll pay for the cab to take me across the river to a more quaint section of Maastricht. I'd also pay more money for better accommodations. That being said, I did find the staff to be polite, if not friendly. I suppose if you are a student and are looking for a place to crash after a night of partying, this will do...

• Stayed December 2004

Been to Hotel de Poshoorn? Share your experiences!