“A very affordable, wonderful tiny cabin on the water” 4 of 5 stars

Botel Maastricht
Maasboulevard 95, Maastricht, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #31 of 38 Hotels in Maastricht
Putney, Vermont
“A very affordable, wonderful tiny cabin on the water”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We arrived late in Maastricht and missed the VVV. We wandered a bit and were told to ask if the Botel had a cabin available. Afraid it would be expensive, we walked to The Maas and inquired at The Botel. My husband asked for a cabin on the water side of the craft and we had a small but comfortable cabin for 46 Euros a night (breakfast was an added 9 Euros - excellent, unlimited coffee). I highly recommend Botel for people who don't mind being a little cramped. My husband is 6 feet and he liked Botel as much as I did. All of the people working on Botel are friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: As for a cabin on the water (Maas) side.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Indonesian first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

The Botel is, as the name suggests, on a boat, berthed very close to the centre of Maastricht.
The accomodation is in cabins, which are small and basic, but adequate for a stay of several nights in budget accomodation.
Breakfast is served in the pleasant restaurant, with lovely views down the river. There is also a nice bar, and sundeck.
As I was leaving early in the morning, they offered to serve breakfast at 5am, which I thought was very good. The breakfast was a typical ham, cheese, eggs, bread, coffee and juice. Just what is needed to set you up for the day.
The staff were very helpful and pleasant.
This is a budget place to stay, but if you are on a tight budget and looking for somewhere to stay in a central location in Maastricht, this could be for you. It is an ideal place to stay for the budget traveller, and being on a boat, something a little different. I'm glad I stayed there.
There is good shopping, eating and drinking very close by in the centre of Maastricht.
The railway and bus station is about 15 minutes walk, and as it is close to the borders of Belgium and Germany, you can be in either Liege or Aachen in a few minutes by train.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Diemen, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I visited this property with my six friends in February 2013. Our stay of three nights at this place was quite relaxing and comfortable. My room was not too big, but had everything I needed. Bed was comfortable and bathroom was functional. Breakfast included a number of healthy options and I liked it. Staff was very co-operative and they tried their best to provide the comfort we needed. I will recommend this place to my other friends.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Nairobi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We took a room her (sorry I can't say Hotel) because it was required for may daugther to participate in a University activity, however it was terrible, the triple room was a a small space with two "beds" a double and a single short and narrow, no space even to put a chair between the bed and the wall, bedsheets very basic and old, not sure if really clean.
The towels were hand size and again very small.
The bathroom had a small sink and a WC the shower was in the space between both so no real shower space, after you showered you couldn't go into the bathroom without getting wet.
the food very basic and they charge Euro7 for the breakfast.
I checked a nice Crowne Hotel across the river and it was only some few Euros more, I'm sure for the same price I could have found something much better. I will imagine that the University has some kind of arrangement with the botel, because I don't believe anyone can recommend it seriously. Othere student had shared rooms and baths and had to make long lines to take a shower in the corridor. Look for other options before going there, unless you are/were a marine working in submarines, you will feel claustrofobic!
Forgot to mention the room had a smell of humidity that prompted my allergies!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I was a bit unsure about my rating, since I did not find it really awful... but I cannot define it "average" either. Let's say that I was glad I only booked 1 night, just for the experience of sleeping on a house boat. That's the only reason I would recommend it to other people, otherwise, there are certainly much better options. The rooms are VERY tiny and that would not be a problem if the bed was a standard size. You can sleep straight if you are not taller than 1,70 m. We had a "shower room" en suite, which was ok, but proportionate to the rest. I appreciated that everything was fairly clean. The view is a plus, right on the Maas and its bridge. It was nice to have our breakfast here. Nothing special, but it was the highlight of our stay in the hotel. Lots of bread with jams, cold meat, cheese and a boiled egg. Rather large considering the place... The location is quite convenient, walking distance to the centre and to the train station, by the Stadt Park.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

TINY room with tiles falling off the ceiling. The smallest bed in the world and the heat, once the sun comes up, is what I imagine Cool Hand Luke must have suffered when 'spending a night in the box'. Spend an extra 20 Euros and get a real room in a real hotel if your budget allows (have one less beer and a cheaper meal instead...it'll be worth it!) It wasn't a pleasant room to have a hangover in I can tell you. If you are young or travelling on your own it'll do for a night, maybe 2. But really, its a hole. All be it in a nice spot!

Room Tip: Somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed only for night in October 2012. Overall, I found it fair value for money. It's not a luxury hotel and is a little scruffy around the edges. However, the staff were very friendly and accommodating. The rooms are small, but comfortable. The location is great - just a few hundred meters from the city center and you get a great view from the deck of the boat.

I wouldn't recommend taking the breakfast which I found totally overpriced for a few pieces of old bread, cheese, ham and a boiled egg (it was €7 when we were there).

Overall, however, I found it very good value for money and if you realise you get what you pay for and this is not luxury, then it is a good stay.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top level are really well worth it with big windows over the Maas. The rooms below...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Botel Maastricht? Share your experiences!