“Fine Boutique Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 39 Hotels in Maastricht
Groningen
“Fine Boutique Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

The Botticelli is a fine boutique hotel in the very heart of Maastricht near the famous Vrijthof (city square). The hotel facade is unassuming; once inside you're in for a nice surprise. A beautiful courtyard garden, finely decorated public rooms, a well-appointed breakfast restaurant. There's an easily climbable grand stairway up to the bedrooms (no lift, though).
The bedrooms (ours was #7) are spacious and comfortable with everything you might need; A TV but also to our delight a good, modern radio. Spic-and-span sizable bathroom
Beds though not as comfortable as you might want though large enough. But with a soft sagging; terrible on one's back.
Absolutely superb breakfast!
Very welcoming staff; friendly and efficient.
Fine hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stoic1948

Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I took my mum to Maastricht for a weekend recently. Had booked Hotel Botticelli due to its location and my initial instinct that it would be a nice place to stay.

The hotel is situated on a relatively quiet street directly behind the Vrijthof. No on-site parking, but parking available at the 24 hour carpark under the Vrijthof. I was surprised to find that they didnt have an agreement with the carpark to offer a reduced overnight rate as quite frequently happens with hotels with no parking. €24 for 24 hour parking could be classed as relatively cheap for an overnight park city centre, but the €24's would quickly mount up if staying longer than a night or two. This trip wasn't about budget - it was about giving my mum a special treat for her 75th birthday, she enjoyed herself and that's the main thing.

My initial email interactions with Hotel Botticelli were efficient, warm and engaging, and I was particularly impressed when they easily facilitated my sister as an addition to our booking. Of course we paid a surcharge - but again, it wasn't about the money.

On arrival, our reception was cold, unwelcoming and not a pleasant experience whatsoever. It would appear we were imposing on the Reception lady and inconveniencing her somewhat with our earlier than check-in arrival. We had arrived around 1pm as I was anxious to get city-centre before road closures due to the concert taking place on the Virjthof that evening. She facilitated us by taking our luggage, but no interactions whatsoever. Formal, cold and functional. It was refreshing that the gentleman who engaged with us when we returned later in the day was in stark contrast to his colleague.

Our room was a delight on the first floor. Lots of space for the three of us, with the additional bed an extremely comfortable bed settee. That and the king sized bed ensured that the three of us had 2 good nights sleep. Bathroom had the ususal amenities and it fulfilled our needs adequately - however extra toiletries to cater for 3 people rather than 2 would have been welcomed. Fortunately we had some of our own and didn't need to request more. Everything spotlessly clean and in keeping with a quality establishment.

Breakfast on both mornings was taken in the beautiful Courtyard. A continental type fare with freshly brewed coffee and teas. I got the impression though that it was one pot only and there was no offer of more to either ourselves or adjoining tables. Was it worth €16 per person? On this occasion yes as it was handy for my mum and easier than having to find somewhere in the vicinity. Good quality meats, cheese, pastries and breads, but not worth the price for the three of us. There are lots of options in the vicinity for a cheaper breakfast.

We didn't have much engagement with staff as we were on a whistlestop trip and out and about most of the time. However, I can't but feel that our welcome left a slightly sour taste in my mouth. Based on the interactions and the efficient replies to my queries before our stay, I had taken a gift from Ireland for the staff. However, I kept them (and we ate them ourselves) due to the impersonal welcome we received.

I struggled as to whether to give Hotel Botticelli an Average or Very Good score. It got what it did because, as mentioned earlier - this trip was all about my mum. She enjoyed herself and is still talking about her trip. That in itself merits a "very good" score as Hotel Botticelli was an integral part of our trip.

The three of us really enjoyed Maastricht. In all honesty we enjoyed Hotel Botticelli too. I plan to return to the city with my husband in the future and would consider staying there again - but will be checking out other options as well.

However, should I decide to return for a second stay, I'll know not to expect a warm welcome, but will enjoy the luxurious surroundings in wonderful city.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank LittlePumpkin
Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have just stayed at The Hotel Botticelli and I cannot praise it enough. It is centrally located alongside the Vrijthof Square, and provides a beautiful base from which to explore a captivating city. The staff are friendly & helpful, the public rooms beautifully decorated and also features a stunning garden terrace. The two rooms used by my party were well appointed, charmingly decorated and very clean. Breakfast each morning offers a wide choice and is well stocked. I cannot praise this hotel enough, and I will return.

Room Tip: Room 10 is a duplex, so be prepared for stairs to the bathroom.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Alderley Edge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Location superb, some of the staff unhelpful, unfriendly and quite arrogant. Room no. 10 unsuitable for unfit over 60-year olds, in fact it is quite dangerous. I felt the hotel should take the trouble to inquire about ages before allocating the room. There is a very pleasant garden for those rare sunny days in June!

Room Tip: Room no. 10 has a steep flight of stairs to the bathroom, not suitable for unfit over 60's!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank fmhamil
Daylesford, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed 6 nights during the coldest May on record. The hotel is centrally located in the old town, one street back from main square, many quaint streets, great shopping, bars & restaurants within 5 minute walk - we loved Cafe Madrid. We stayed in room 4, junior suite overlooking the courtyard - a great room, good free wifi, good heating & bathroom. Hosts Marlou Charles & Jana were great, including excellent breakfasts, early if required. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 4 is great. Laundry off site - a 5 minute walk, 10 euro, washed but not ironed - fine with me.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jonathan B
Copley, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Room was quaint, super clean with beautiful view of patio courtyard. Staff was extremely helpful and attentive. Location so close to the square, market and shopping. Could not have been more pleased...this coming from the ultimate hotel snob!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

If you can afford, book the honeymoon suite. Beautiful classic room with a large king bed, fireplace, sofa's and a nice huge bathroom. However a honeymoon suite needs al least a jacuzzi but bath was oke. You will get the best room overlooking a small inner Italian courtyard. Breakfast room is really cosy. Breakfast is sufficient but it could be better. Hotel itself is situated at the center of Maastricht. No parking or valet service. Other service was excellent.
Botticelli, we loved it.

Restaurant "Wijnrestaurant mes amis" also a tripadvisor winner, is just on the corner.

Room Tip: Honeymoon room, do it!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple