“Nice little hotel for a one night stay” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel La Colombe
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Markt 30, Maastricht 6211 CK, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #31 of 37 hotels in Maastricht
Brisbane, Australia
“Nice little hotel for a one night stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

Stayed at this hotel in April last year for one night during a quick stop in Maastricht on my way to Belgium.

The hotel was very easy to find, just got on a bus from the main train station and it dropped me right in the main market place, right across from the hotel.
You have to go through the cafe/bar to check in. The staff member who checked me in was very nice, spoke perfect English (like most people in NL) and was very helpful.
It was a bit tricky negotiating the steep and windy stairs to the 2nd top floor with my suitcase, but it wasn't too much of a drama. I was very excited when I opened the door to the room as it was decorated exclusively in orange (my favourite colour).

The room had nice light wooden floors and was very light and sunny, a very happy room.

It was a reasonable size with heaps of space for one person. Two very comfortable single beds, a little bathroom and a little table with two chairs and a TV on the wall with lots of English channels.

The view was great, my two large windows opened onto the market and I could sit by the window and do some people watching.

The hotel is in a perfect location, very close to excellent shops and right in the middle of the old town. I was able to walk around and see alot of the city in just one day.

I ate at the hotel restaurant at night and the food was reasonably priced and excellent quality with lots of good options. Breakfast in the morning was basic continental but good and all I needed.

The only thing that detracted from my complete enjoyment was that the ceiling must be very thin, as while I was trying to get to sleep I could hear the people in the room above me pacing around quite clearly. No big drama though.

All in all, a really nice little hotel with a great pleasant little room with wonderful view, great service and reasonable price. I'll stay here again the next time I'm in Maastricht.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled solo

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

The hotel does not have a car park, so we parked at a nearby underground car park. This costs €20,50 for up to 24 hours. According to the hotel staff, there was another underground car park below the hotel, but we could not see signs for it anywhere and it was the same charge. Anyway, we were only parked a 2 minute walk away so it sufficed.

The location of the hotel couldn't be better as it's right in the centre of town, on the square. The windows were very effective at blocking out the noise, although the room did get rather hot and with the window open it was quite noisy. There was a fan provided in the room however.

The room was very clean and bright. It was quite small, but it was just a base for us and we did little else but sleep there. The rooms are situated up a VERY steep staircase, so it wouldn't be the ideal place to visit if you can't manage stairs very well.

To watch the TV in our room we had to pay a refundable deposit of €10,00.

Breakfast is not at the hotel itself but across the square in another hotel (Hotel de la Bourse) - it's literally a 30 second walk.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

This hotel was recommended by the local VVV service. We asked for what we really wanted: accommodations for our family of 4. They called and verified the quad room was available, highlighted the route on our map, and off we went. The hotel is very old, but we found it charming and fun to climb the steep stairs to our room. Great location in the heart of the city. Don't be put off by the 2-star rating. It's clean and safe. The restaurant is also recommended.

• Liked — Family size room
  • Disliked — Everything is pretty small
  • Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Plymouth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2006

Have stayed at this hotel twice and staff are good. Breakfast, the usual ham/cheese, cereal. Rooms, wardrobes, shower cubicles all very small. Not advisable for a stay longer more than a couple of nights. There is a club over the road that beats out loud music until 5 in the morning, so if you are a light sleeper, give this hotel a miss. The hotel would have been bearable apart from that. The market square consequently is very noisy with people shouting and taxis coming and going.

Stayed September 2006

Been to Hotel La Colombe? Share your experiences!