“A nice hotel for the money” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel La Colombe
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Markt 30, 6211 CK Maastricht, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #32 of 38 Hotels in Maastricht
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“A nice hotel for the money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I was reading some of the other reviews for this hotel and as usual they are all over the map from great to terrible....I am going to tell you the TRUTH. I go to Maastricht every April to attend a Papermoney show in the nearby village of Valkenburg (12 minutes away on the train) and I have stayed at the Hotel LaColombe on 5 seperate occasions between 2006 and 2011 (one year they were sold out). Since April is still the low season, the prices are not too high and I paid 63 euros per night every time I was there for a single room. My reservations were always made in advance (by mail) and my rate never changed from year to year. This is a VERY GOOD price for what you are getting in this city. Maastricht can be very expensive and it is easy to pay 180-200 euros per night. Sure, the other hotel may be a little nicer, but is it that much better for the extra money? I don't think so! I believe this hotel only has 22 or 23 rooms and I have never got the same room. I have been there 5 times and on only one occasion did I actually get a single all of the other years I was upgraded. All of the rooms are shaped differently depending on how high up you go and you do have to walk up some rather steep stairs and there is no elevator. The hotel and furnishings are kind of old but I found all of the rooms to be comfortable. I think the particular room you get depends more on WHEN you arrive than any other factor. The rooms are clean and what else do you want? The hotel is over a restaurant/bar that they own and has a fun atmosphere and the food is good. There are tables outside and they will serve you outside or in the bar area. There is a continental breakfast that is free and excellent!! When you arrive at the hotel you check in at the bar as there is no front desk. The hotel is in a great spot in the city itself being right on the market square. It is approximately 1km from the train station (right acrossed the Maas river) and there are buses and taxis and things are really close enough that you can just walk places. There is lots of shopping, grocery store, post office, lots of places to eat and drink right outside the door of the hotel. There is a traveling market (like most European cities have) that sets up twice a week on Tuesdays and Fridays. On a scale of 1-5 I would give this place a definite 4.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Gold Coast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

I can now understand why payment was demanded upfront. Had we seen the room first we would have walked out on the spot. We stayed only one night and are thankful for that.
The room was dirty, smelly with torn curtains, noisy. Beds are a joke. The first thing we did arriving in Delft the next day and booking in at the Hotel de Plataan (a very nice and comfortable hotel, a godsend after the Hotel La Colombe) was have a shower. Steep narrow and very dark stairs to the second floor. Shearing quarters in the Australian outback are of a much higher standard. The person booking us in over the bar was pleasant, but for whatever reason highly critical of Andre Rieu. Service was no service. The place is a disgrace to the hotel industry.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Rochester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

The manager and staff made us feel at home. Our room was comfortable and clean with a good all round view of the square.. We had an en-suite bathroom. breakfast was fine, with a choice of meats, cheese, boiled egg, cereal, a choice of bread rolls, a choice of coffee and of teas.

We were here to see Andre Rieu. La Colombe is just a few minutes walk from the concert. It was particularly nice to return about 12.30 am to find the hotel still open so that we could unwind with a nightcap before retiring to bed. Staff were keen to know how we had enjoyed the concert.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

We booked this hotel trough Booking.com. It was 80 euros pwer room per night. We booked for 2 rooms. when we arrived there, they asked us to pay in advance, kept our booking papers and charged 84 euros to our friend room. Our room was as wide as 2 single beds wirth a small bedside table in between, with the afternoon sun shining in one of the beds, and no mother place in the room to stay. The bathroom was smelly, and you could sit on the toilet, shower and brush your teeth all at the same time. It was also on the second floor with no lift, you had to carry trhe luggage up the steep and narrow stairs. After leaving the room we found another hotel and enquiried about 2 nights sstay. We then decided to write off the 160 euros payed to La Colombe and moved to the other hotel, much better and just slightly more expensive.

Room Tip: stay away from this hotel....
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

The location of this hotel is very central, but I would not recommend this hotel because it is so noisy. You can hear other guests talk and move in their room. Also the rooms are very basic and small. We experienced the service and friendliness of the staff as poor.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

This hotel is on the first floor above a café, which is good in the sense of offering a (included) good breakfast. And, to my pleasant surprise, it was not noisy at all.

The main issue with the room was the cleanliness, or lack of. If you are a clean freak or even if (a lot of) dust balls really get to you, stay someplace else.

Getting past that, the location is great. Close enough to the main square, but not as close to have the price inflated. It is on a very nice secondary square, close to restaurants and shops. So the location is the main attraction here.

The room is tiny, and the bathroom, TV and bed are old. They currently work, but will need some updating pretty soon. The bed, especially, is not comfortable at all.

Oh, needeless to say, there is no internet, free or not. And no room service either!

The main reason to stay here is price, as Maastricht has very expensive hotels.
However, if you can afford to pay a little more, you’ll be much better off somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

Stayed at this hotel in April last year for one night during a quick stop in Maastricht on my way to Belgium.

The hotel was very easy to find, just got on a bus from the main train station and it dropped me right in the main market place, right across from the hotel.
You have to go through the cafe/bar to check in. The staff member who checked me in was very nice, spoke perfect English (like most people in NL) and was very helpful.
It was a bit tricky negotiating the steep and windy stairs to the 2nd top floor with my suitcase, but it wasn't too much of a drama. I was very excited when I opened the door to the room as it was decorated exclusively in orange (my favourite colour).

The room had nice light wooden floors and was very light and sunny, a very happy room.

It was a reasonable size with heaps of space for one person. Two very comfortable single beds, a little bathroom and a little table with two chairs and a TV on the wall with lots of English channels.

The view was great, my two large windows opened onto the market and I could sit by the window and do some people watching.

The hotel is in a perfect location, very close to excellent shops and right in the middle of the old town. I was able to walk around and see alot of the city in just one day.

I ate at the hotel restaurant at night and the food was reasonably priced and excellent quality with lots of good options. Breakfast in the morning was basic continental but good and all I needed.

The only thing that detracted from my complete enjoyment was that the ceiling must be very thin, as while I was trying to get to sleep I could hear the people in the room above me pacing around quite clearly. No big drama though.

All in all, a really nice little hotel with a great pleasant little room with wonderful view, great service and reasonable price. I'll stay here again the next time I'm in Maastricht.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled solo

Been to Hotel La Colombe? Share your experiences!