“Hungry in Holland” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 38 hotels in Maastricht
Chester, United Kingdom
“Hungry in Holland”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Having stayed several times in the past, due to its convenient location, the somewhat tired standard of the rooms was not something new and to be fair, for the price, the hotel provides reasonable value for money by Maasticht standards. Limited facilities but adequate for short stay and staff are friendly. A disappointment this time though were the confusing signals in the restaurant where it went from feast to famine with the first night overwhelming portion sizes and the next night having to walk out after waiting for such a long time without any attention/service at all. Fortunately the Markt square, with its abundance of good eating places, was only a few minutes away.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Hotel Maastricht / Centrum, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. Such comments supports me and my colleagues to provide our guests a good service. The Bastion Hotel Groep strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest.

I hope to meet you again in one of the hotels from the Bastion Hotel Groep.

154 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bucharest, Romania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I will be very specific in my review just to make it very objective.
Starting from expectations I have to mention that when you book into a 4* property you expect certain room size and quality as well as amenities such bar, restaurant, gym etc.

When for a single room or double room you get a room with 4 permanent beds you realize this is not 4* property.
Bathroom is tiny with terrible shower gel and soap not to mention the broken toilet seat. The towels were that kind with plastic that don't dry out the water on you!

The entrance lobby is bar, restaurant and breakfast area and therefore before getting out of the hotel you get the "nice" kitchen scent of fried food, that is if don't go near the smoker's lounge and get the combined kitchen-cigarette scent!
The gym, forget it! One treadmill, cross trainer and bicycle and steam bath in the attic in a very tight area! Not to mention that they looked run down !
So, it's a NO WAY !
They were trying to explain me that this is a city hotel and therefore 4* is different. REALLY?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Hotel Maastricht / Centrum, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our employees in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

I hope you can accept my apologies.

redditch
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We had a 2night stay here last weekend. We enjoyed the proximity to the Markt square,just a 3/4 minute walk.The room was clean and modern with a new bathroom,there is a nice bar where you could get a late drink,and staff were friendly.We didn't eat in the hotel,we thought the breakfast was slightly expensive with plenty of cafes nearby.A minor issue was an apparent reluctance to stock the tea and coffee tray in the room with more than one milk or sugar sachet per guest.We will certainly use this hotel again on a future visit to this attractive city.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front a little noisy due to smokers by the front door and noisy pedestrians late at nig...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Hotel Maastricht / Centrum, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the positive comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. Such comments supports me and my colleagues to provide our guests a good service. The Bastion Hotel Groep strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest.

I hope to meet you again in one of the hotels from the Bastion Hotel Groep.

Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

There is nothing "deluxe" about this hotel. The reception area is friendly enough, but the room we got had seen its good days ages ago. Charges for use of the parking facility, which I suppose is fair enough. It does, however, also charge €15 per person (and child) for breakfast, which is such a negative bore - especially when the price already is rather high compared to quality. Location is good, though, even though other hotels are even closer to the city centre. You might want to consider one of those instead of this one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Hotel Maastricht / Centrum, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear guest,

I hope you can accept my apologies.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Hotel is located adjacent to the bassin area, a redeveloped small "marina" with moorings for boats and quayside cafes and restaurants. It is a 3 minute walk upto the Markt square and a further 5 minutes to the Vrijthof for a wonderful selection of open air restaurants and cafes.
Room was usual business standard, functional rather than design oriented. Air conditioning was excellent and worked perfectly and relatively quietly. I have worked in NL for 2 years now and 2 single beds pushed together is the norm in Dutch hotels when rooms are described as double so no need to get excited about that! I agree that toiletries were budget and there was no hand lotion as is usually available. Free wifi was efficient and useful and parking just around the corner was in underground car park costing €15 per day (relatively cheap for Maastricht). You need to pull up outside the hotel in the 2 bays reserved for dropping off and obtain an access ticket from reception, the car park is first left turn and 50 metres on right behind roller shutter doors. There is only one lift which should be updated it seemed quite slow.
Due to this I was happy to have a room on 1st floor and use the stairs except when checking in and out with luggage.I am surprised to hear complaints about the staff, the 2 blonde ladies on reception were friendly and helpful to me on many occasions and the barman was more than adequate. If the reception is left unattended as others have written I can only assume that was in the quieter periods as during my time it was always staffed with 2 people. I did not eat in restaurant as their are many available with outside seating in the town centre. The only thing I did not like was the smoking room adjacent to the bar which contained a pool table and as the name suggests smelt of smoking but it was behind a sliding door so not an issue normally just if you wanted to play pool. Overall an adequate hotel that was good value for what I paid.
I think some of the native English speakers are reading too much into the "Deluxe" in the hotel name, it is a relatively standard 3/4 star hotel not deluxe or 5 star.

Room Tip: I would not take a room on the higher floors as you can wait a long time for the lift.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Hotel Maastricht / Centrum, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you left on Tripadvisor. We try to meet the expectations of our guests and I believe we did achieve this.

I hope to meet you again in one of our hotels.

Cairo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Maastricht is small and can be easily walked or cycled, but this hotel is close to the river, the town square and charming cobblestone sidestreets that lead to it that are dotted with boutiques, restaurants, cafes and the Basilica. The rooms are spacious but completely basic. The toiletries offered are limited to tiny tubes of hand soap and bath gel so bring your own. Breakfast was excellent but I did not spend time at the hotel otherwise. The reception is manned by the same person who might be simultaneously replacing coffee or making omelettes at the breakfast bar so be patient, the staff is friendly but multitasking. Munch on the great mints in a bowl at the front desk while you wait...
I was given a ground floor room which I would change if I were to come again because I did not like keeping the curtains drawn all the time I was in, also, it can get a little rowdy outside on Saturday nights.
I would come back to this hotel and Maastricht though.

Room Tip: Do not select ground floor rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

I hope to meet you again in one of our hotels.

Troon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Merits a 2 star, dirty, shabby hotel with unfriendly staff. Rooms dirty, reception area had dirty dishes. We had booked 3 nights and immediatley asked for a refund which they refused. No refund - total scam! We booked into a hotel a block away for the same rate but far superior!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Deluxe Hotel Maastricht / Centrum, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our associates in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

I hope you accept my apologies ,

Maik Willems

Been to Bastion Deluxe Hotel Maastricht / Centrum? Share your experiences!