“beautiful hotel at excellent location” 5 of 5 stars

Amrath Grand Hotel De L'Empereur
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stationsstraat 2, Maastricht 6221BP, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #27 of 37 hotels in Maastricht
Europe
“beautiful hotel at excellent location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

During Easter weekend, we arrived quite late and were given the last available room, a suite. It was brilliant and had probably the best bathroom I have had in a long time. It had an infrared sauna in the bathroom and wonderful shower where my 1.90 meter tall partner could, for once could stand up in. Breakfast on Easter Sunday was quite busy, but the staff kept smiling, including the nice lady making pancakes for everyone. In the same building, there is also a very good Chinese restaurant. The family owners commissioned beautiful paintings and artworks to decorate the building. Proper swimming pool. The hotel has dedicated parking for bikes, so it can be an excellent base for cycling holidays.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

218 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Natchez, Mississippi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2008

Hotel is located across from the train station, which is probably the best feature. During my visit there was no hot water in the morning with the only response from the front desk being they were working on it. The trip to the room involved two flights of stairs after the elevator. Hotel front desk service was inconsistent, either very helpful or disinterested.

Denver Mullican, New Orleans

• Liked — Near the train station
  • Disliked — No hot water, inconsistent service on the front desk
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Yarmouth, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

Good Points - Good location, although a 15-20 minute walk to the center of town and 20 minutes to the MECC. But we enjoyed the walk once or twice a day. If you want to use the train, the station is across the street
Staff was very friendly and helpful.
sauna - costs extra, but is private and was very enjoyable
Pool was warm - seemed clean and nice, but we didn't use.
Room size was bigger than normal.
Bathroom and room were clean.

BAD - the king bed was too soft and had a gap between the 2 mattresses.
no view to speak of.
Breakfast price is expensive, but we ate around the corner at "Simply Bread" which was excellent

• Liked — Sauna
  • Disliked — soft and split mattress
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Oshawa, ON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

When we arrived at the hotel they advised us they did not have our reservation, but we were 'lucky' they still had rooms available. Since their check in times were an hour later than our other hotels in the Netherlands we were early and told there were no rooms ready. We then decided to leave our luggage and walk into town. Upon returning to the hotel we were given the worst room I have ever seen. For the money spent at this hotel it was disgusting! The hallway leading to the room was dirty and dark. The room was like a sauna and there was no air conditioning, the lights did not work and we only had a little window looking into the corner of the building. It looked like a room out of a horror movie and was just creepy.
After complaining to the hotel staff (who could not care less), the manager gave us a different room.

The second room we were given was far superior. If this was the room were given in the first place this review would have been completely different.

Staff were unfriendly.

Location across from the train station was excellent, especially if you have heavy bags and don't mind walking to and from the center of town.

If staying at this hotel definitely be careful because you can either get a really bad room or a really good room. Very unpredictable.

Would not recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

I have stayed three nights at the Hotel Amrath in Maastricht to go to Pinkpop festival in Landgraaf.
The location is quite good (in front of train station), but it takes 15 minutes walk to go to the "real" center of town.
I have booked two rooms, one single and one double with express demand for TWO separate beds.
On my arrival at Hotel, I had the disgraceful surprise that the two rooms were identica: very small and with a unique bed.
So basically two people had to sleep in the same bed.
I requested a different accomodation, but only "smokers" rooms were available.
But the biggest surprise has been the last night.
Something that nver happened to me in my entire life.
Back from festival, our rooms had not ben made!!!
So we had to sleep in unmade beds and use already used towels....
I complained to the "night concierge" that promised me to inform the management, but the day after nobody was aware.
I didnt have any excuse from personnel, neither (what I would have expected...) some kind of commercial gesture.
On top of that the Hotel is pretty old-looking, the rooms were not really large and furniture+extras pretty poor and dated.
I would NOT recommend this Hotel.
Better look for more central Hotels.
Avoid.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

The location of the hotel is opposite of the train station. The rooms are large. The bar is cosy, meeting rooms new. I heard that some of the rooms are a bit older, but will be renovated this year.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
American in Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2007

I had problems from the beginning with this hotel... I have a very low opinion of the customer service. I booked the Major Suite and it was dirty with seventies style furniture - that was there since then. I moved rooms and downgraded to a Deluxe which was 10 x better. When I checked out they still attempted to charge me for the Master Suite even though I didn't stay there.

The deluxe room was nice and clean. However, dealing with this property was not one of my best hotel experiences.

Avoid the Major Suites - and I'm assuming the Junior Suites are as bad! Not worth the money. I ended up paying 90EUR for my night in the Deluxe room on a Sat night. I believe that is what all the rooms cost at minimum.

Ciao.

• Liked — The hotel bar was nice.
  • Disliked — The quality of the Major Suite and the lack of cooperation with the staff.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Amrath Grand Hotel De L'Empereur? Share your experiences!