“Andre Rieu Concert Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Amrath Grand Hotel De L'Empereur
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stationsstraat 2, 6221BP Maastricht, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Maastricht
Yorkshire
“Andre Rieu Concert Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

This was our second visit to this hotel. Did the same concert last year. The hotel was excellent, room was modern comfortable and spotless. The staff were welcoming, had a lovely lunch in the restaurant. Breakfast was excellent too.
The hotel is opposite the station, and once booked in, it is an easy walk into the centre of the city.
Our room was overlooking the bus station and railway station, but it was quiet even on such a lively weekend.
We will certainly stay here again

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Earth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

This hotel is right by the train and bus station in Maastricht. Even from arrival it looked a bit tatty from the outside. Check in was not a problem and I was allocated room 307. The room looked like it hadn't been redecorated since the 1980s. The bathroom however was quite new and the shower was good.

The TV was an old CRT type and had only one English channel (BBC1).

The bed was a double and was never made properly in the 4 nights I spent there. The lower sheet was too small and kept coming away to reveal the waterproof (pee proof) liner underneath. On the window side of the bed there is a light on a bedside table. I managed to bang my head on this table a couple of times when waking up. The bedside table also contains a built in radio / tv controller which looked like it came out of the ark it also controls some of the lights but not alas the tv or the radio. - time to get rid.

I can't be sure but I think I was bitten by something in the room as I was bitten 5 times during my stay. My colleague in the next room was not bitten at all (so that rules out work as a source of the bites).

There was some noise from outside at night (despite double glazing)so if staying on that side of the hotel be warned you may want to ask for a quieter room. Remember you are on the main drag between the station and the many bars in town.

Breakfast was nice with a good continental selection and some hot food available (I didn't have the hot food). I liked the nice touch of the sudoku on the place mats.

I din't try the evening menu as there are lots of restarants in walking distance.

The hotel does have a pool and a sauna. I didn't try these but I did notice that they wanted 10 euros a pop for the sauna which really should be free.

Overall alright I suppose but I wouldn't hurry back. As this hotel isn't part of a major chain it doesn't have (as far as I saw) a loyalty card scheme so no points available for business travellers. If that's important try the Crowne Plaza first. If points are not important then try the Beaumont which is just down the road.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street will be noisy at night and early morning.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Des_Gruntled

Travelers are raving about these Maastricht hotels

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Let's start off by writing that this hotel is literally right across the street from the central train station. This makes it very easy for the train traveller. The hotel is a 15-20 minute walk to the main pedestrian market center. There are plenty of shops and restaurants in walking distance.

The hotel is in an older building. The older flair of this hotel is evident in the decor. This is not a modern hotel, and if this is what you are looking for, then this hotel is not for you. Yet, don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with an classic european decor if this is ok for you. The rooms were redone a while ago (as evident by the older light switches and CRT televsion). It is still comfortable though. I stayed in a deluxe room. The room was very large. There is a desk and a small sitting area. Nice touches are teas, coffee, water, and small refrigerator. WiFi is free and works well.

I did not partake in the breakfast, pool, and restaurant.

The staff is kind and friendly.

Overall, I had a nice stay and this hotel. The price was right and the I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Lot of reviews mention dirty carpet. Mine on the first floor was fine. Corporate and dull but not dirty. Room (one up from Standard) was clean and comfortable. Ask for a room at the back overlooking a rather nice zen type garden, if you want very quiet but even the rooms facing the station don't seem to be too noisy.
I'd say more good 3*** then 4*** but priced accordingly.
If you need to be in Maastricht (and I think you'd only be there if you need to be there !) then this is a good choice.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet and overlook a little zen garden with running fountain
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank raybagan
Lasalle, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

One of the few places in town that can accommodate travellers in wheelchairs.

Other than that great feature (to us, at least) this reputed hotel is located right opposite to the train station and a ~15 min. walk from the Vrijthof. It offers a breakfast buffet but we went to one of the plentiful cafés around and had a probably cheaper and more authentic taste of Maastricht.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Staff at reception were friendly, but unfortunately the girl (and i really mean a girl) who tended to us kept confusing our booking details with someone else who had the same surname.
Even when we pointed out it was the wrong name and address (especially when it was booked in my boyfriend's name and she gave us a form with the details of a lady) she said the address can be corrected later. After 1 minute, she realised that it was her mistake and started looking for the correct form.
It seems like she is a student doing her internship who is trying her best to follow the steps but is unsure of the rest.
When we got to our room, everything looked quite outdated. As we were quite tired after driving for more than 2 hours, we plopped down on the bed to have a rest. Mattress was extremely soft, no support whatsoever. Also noticed that it was quite noisy as our windows were facing the bus-stop right in front of Maastricht Central Station.
After resting for an hour, we found out that the bathroom door kept creaking, toilet seat had a huge crack and one of the lights was not working. If we were staying for more than a night, I would have asked to change rooms.
On the way back down, we found out that the "down" button for the lift on our floor(2nd) was not working at all.
Went for a swim in the pool in the evening, pool was small, quite dirty and water was a bit too cold for our liking.
All-in-all, I would not book this hotel again even if it was half-price.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
Maputo, Mozambique
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

I've been in this hotel for more than 30 days. It is cheap, good service, good rooms.
The only thing i would advise is too improve the morning buffet, there is not much of food options, apart from that the hotel is really good and well located in front of the Railway station.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business