“OK hotel, parking is a plus (not free)” 3 of 5 stars

Designhotel Maastricht - Hampshire Eden
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stationsstraat 40, 6221 Maastricht, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Maastricht
The Hague, The Netherlands
“OK hotel, parking is a plus (not free)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times before and have always found it to be a nice hotel, although the "Design" part of the hotel has aged over the last couple of years. We stayed here at one of the busiest weekends of the year, just before Christmas. Fortunately, I remembered that the hotel has dedicated parking spots in the nearby garage under the cinema (rate € 23/24 hrs) so I had made sure to reserve a slot - this turned out to be a very wise decision as all the parking garages in the city were full or closed off due to the heavy traffic.

Breakfast is not included, but is ok, although the a-la-carte is rather limited. Room was spacious, although could have been better layed out if the bathroom wasn't that insanely large. The hotel is easily reachable by car and train.

Overall, good hotel to stay in if you are planning to do some sightseeing in the city, but if you are looking for a high end hotel, there are better choices nearby.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Hotel in general is good value for money, close to the central station. Service at reception is not up to standard though, exhausted, bored receptionist, answering multiple calls while serving in wrinkled uniform.
The Flo fish restaurant adjacent to the hotel is recommended.

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

i had a standard room it was perfectly enough for me, but i missed a table. First time it was such a labirynth feeling for me to find my room. :D
The breakfast was perfect as well fresh fruits vegetables, rolls, egg, salmon ect. . Staff was nice and helpful!!

Room Tip: if you want a standard room 180 is ok. a medium room 109 is also very nice
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
The netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This time we had a " normal " room , with a toilet behind a door .
Time before , the toilet was just inside the room ! Can not lock .
We had a voucher left , so we went again .
The breakfast is good !! And we parked our car near the station .
14 Euro , whole 24 hours , only few minutes walk to the hotel .
You get a free drink , but have to go outside , end of the street .
We did not go there .
In all ,for a reduce price it is okay for us , otherwise we find it expensive .

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We arrived tired and late after a plane and train journey from Dublin. The hotel was a short walk from the train station and we were greeted by very friendly staff. Quickly through the formalities and shown to our rooms. These overlooked the street, were conditioned, very clean and most comfortable. The hotel staff recommended a couple af local restaurants within easy walking and we choose one for dinner and retired well fed before midnight.
Breakfast was a relaxed serve yourself affair, real expresso, fruit juices, and most of the requirements for a very pleasant continental style breakfast.

The hotel staff arranged transport to our next destination and after settling what was a very reasonable tariff, we were on our way, rested, fed and well prepared for the next leg of our journey.

Room Tip: At weekends and during term (Maastricht is a university town) rooms facing the street might get a li...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Amersham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

I was booked here by a client as I was working in Maastricht. The hotel looks great and I like the concept, many branded hotels such as Hotel Indigo and Park Plaza in London are using high impact "design" features to make their offering more distinctive.

We didn't eat in the restaurant as we arrived close to midnight.

One major bug-bear I have with hotels is this: I like to sleep in a double bed, it's what I'm used to at home. I don't like sleeping in single beds. When I'm away on business it's really important I get a good nights sleep.

Bearing this need in mind we checked in, I asked "do I have a double bed?" The answer was an unequivocal "yes sir". Imagine my annoyance when at just after midnight I open my room door to see 2 singles pushed together. Now, if I'm being critical the receptionist deceived me, or he just doesn't know his product. Either way it's not good enough, especially in a 4* property.

The Bathroom in room 260 is a phone box, and a small one at that. No plug in the "designer" basin, why? How are you supposed to shave, by running the tap - not very green design! The shower was poor in strength, the basin tap was very powerful, why the difference?

The designer rooms have wooden floors, nice! Except when a room directly above me
decides to move furniture at 1am then it sounds like the roof is about to cave in!!

I slept badly in a bed which the mattress has seen too many bodies and needs replacing. No additional pillows in the room, just one small one per single bed!

The breakfast staff were friendly and welcoming. Food was OK, nothing special.

In conclusion, an average hotel which needs to realise that it's not just style, you need content too. Quirky and interesting design features don't replace good old fashioned service. Get both right and you have a product which people will rave about and advocate.

If I was paying for this stay I wouldn't be happy. Would I chose to stay here again, no.

• Stayed October 2012
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The art'deco of the hotel caught the eye, and as far as first impressions go, it was a good one.

It was down hill from there! I don't understand Dutch, but could tell the matriarch at reception was having a huge go at the staff and using all my powers of interpretation (as Dutch is not my native tongue/throat clearing) I could decipher she harking on about the staff needing training! I thought - speech bubble moment -> it can't be that bad, she must be over reacting....little did I know!

Reception checked us in fine, but come dinner time, the service at The Flo could not be called service! I felt more like a burden on the 'weighting' staff then I did a paying customer, and the complaints starting flying in thick and fast!

As for the rooms, I second NH's comments - no shower caps (not for me I might add), no lotion (also not for me I might add), no mini-bar (for me I do add) and, and, and the list goes on....

Only saving grace were the ladies that greeted us each morning for breakfast! They were warm, bubbly and welcoming! The location is also ideal as it's a stone's throw from the train station.

Quite simply, we would not go back!

Room Tip: Try and get a room upgrade...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hotelgirl3600, General Manager at Designhotel Maastricht - Hampshire Eden, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for this feed back on your stay. Please rest assured that, as the new
gm of the hotel, I will use your comments in a positive way to enhance the hospitality experience in our hotel. And then of course I hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel in the future to be able to prove that we can do better...
With kind regards from Maastricht, Sita Tadema - general manager

Been to Designhotel Maastricht - Hampshire Eden? Share your experiences!