“Good, Central Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 38 hotels in Maastricht
Dublin, Ireland
“Good, Central Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

The hotel is located close to the station in Maastricht, but like most hotels in this area, there is no on-site parking which makes it slightly convoluted - you park outside the hotel, collect a key fob to get into the car park at the end of the road, and then walk back to give the key fob back to the reception desk; as the car park is public, validating would be more convenient.

This aside, the hotel is clean with a modern styling. During my stay they had strange "Cappucino in Maastricht" art expo/adverts, but I'm sure the art in the 'design hotel' should improve throughput the year. The staff are friendly and assisting with good English and were able to provide a late checkout until 18:00 for €25 due to a late night flight.

The room has an unusual design in that it is open plan, with the bed first followed by a corridor and a desk/sitting area connected to the bath. I must admit that having a bed immediately beside the door is unusual, and I would be weary about sleeping without this on a double lock. Also present was a fridge, which thankfully did not have mini-bar contents, allowing medicine and water to be stored. The room itself was a balcony room, but the view was very limited as there was a wall preventing street views and no balcony access. The light in this area was good as there were full sized windows with blackout blinds, which worked very well. The light controls are not straighforward though, with the lights around the bed not able to turn on and off the other lights in the room like in standard hotels.

The only noticeable problem was that it was very cold in the room. The outside temperature was between 5 and 10 degC and the temperature recorded on the thermostat was 22degC, but the my own thermometer in the working space was a chilly 15 degC. Adjusting the thermostat had no impact. On arrival, another guest was requesting blankets from reception, and there was an issue with this for him, so I was glad to have brought winter wear, but didn't expect to need it in my room!

As this was a business trip, the workspace was large, even though the seats were more for relaxing that working and there was internet available in the room which went through the standard login system, but was able to provide renewable 24 hour access for free (2Mbps).

The breakfast had a good selection and the staff here were helpful in getting organised and providing non-dutch essentials (like milk for tea), and a decent sized cup.

Overall the hotel is in a good location between the station and the town centre, clean and business friendly.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

338 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Wijchen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

We celibrated our 35 the anneversary in Maastricht. Wunderfull the way we were treated at the reception desk and by other members of the "crew". Lovely room with a large round Hästens bed.
Nice quite room without the noise of neigbours or traffic.

Room Tip: Room 331 was nice and quite. Als because 3e fllor no traffic noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

The hotel was clean, the breakfast was very good but the room was small with no wardrobe or drawers. Probably ok for one night, two at most. They couldn't find our booking when we arrived and the girl on the desk had booked in two other couples before the guy had managed to find us a room and give us a key despite us being there first. There is a cute little games room with an honesty bar on the ground floor. Maastricht was a pretty city with masses of great bars and restaurants and brilliant shopping. Well worth a visit for a weekend.

Room Tip: Have the breakfast!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Breda
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

When we booked this hotel for two nights, I read through several reviews stating that it is a good hotel. But with all that had happened to us, I would not recommend this hotel to anybody. I am myself from the Hotel industry and I was pretty shocked how some of the employees seemed to lack in interest in their guest, as well as how less the privacy is actually protected within this hotel. It looked quite pretty at the first glance, but when you looked a bit closer you could see how used the rooms were and how much they are lackig in having an eye for detail.

It started with the fact that when we were checking in they couldn't find my reservation. SInce, I did not book directly with the hotel , but with a third party channel, I had never gotten a reservation number from the hotel, except a sales representative who contacted me before the arrival. Thus, it took them ages to in the beginning not find it, even though I already explained the receptionist that I believe that my name has gotten several extra letters. Dont ask me why! Thus they said they cannot check me in, I need to find some proof first! They even initially denied us to give us the parking card, which I had reserved before. Thus, I needed to wait 15 more minutes, because other guests were now checking in until I could try it a second time. Then, the receptionist just turns around the screen and lets me find my own reservation and this is for me personally a NO GO. You cannot just show random guests the data of other guest. As it appeared that had a very wrong last name of mine.

Going further, I was not asked what room preference I have, or what was all included which should be in my opinion repeated to the guest. Other than that room we could see that the room had definitely not been cleaned properly at the day of our arrival. Also the hairdryer was missing, which is why I called the reception to ask where it is. I got a very snappy answer: it's in the closet. Even though I told her, that there was none. So I went downstairs to tell the receptionist that I need a hairdryer in my room and that someone please place one there. She looked at me and said, 'I am not sure if we have some and if I first need to ask me colleague, if you could get one.' I mean, honestly, just give me a hairdryer!!!

Later that day, we came back from the city and found our room service. So we thought. But now, this is the easiest and fastest service I had every experience. They just refolded the towels and bedsheets and didn't even dare to give us some new and fresh ones.

Coming to the end, we found a huge whole in our desk, which was tried to be cobered by 3 magazines, as well as the soap dispenser was falling of all the time in the shower. In the end while checking out, I was again approach with the my wrong name, which I did not bother anymore to be changed. The most rediculous thing is actually that after all that happened, I was never asked how I experience the stay at the hotel or said sorry for the checking in incident. Nothing. It's up to you to judge this hotel. I mean the location is great, but that's in my opinion it.

Room Tip: If you should be staying there for a longer time you should definitely book a comfort room, anything...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
DirkJanDoek, General Manager at Designhotel Maastricht - Hampshire Eden, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for you feedback and your review. We were shocked to learn about your experience in our hotel.

I directly asked my Front Office manager to look in to the situation, we find the privacy of guests of extreme importance, that's why I was truly shocked after your review. All necessary measures will be taken.

Regarding to the level of service I also truly apologize. We strive at all times to offer warm hospitality as well as fine service; should you have felt otherwise at our hotel we hope that it was only a moment of thoughtlessness on the part of the Front Office.

I discussed the comment regarding the cleaning of your room with my housekeeping manager. You can be assured that this problem has been corrected since your visit. It is our intent to make each guest's visit with us as pleasant as possible, and certainly the conditions you mention in your email were not our normal standards of Housekeeping.

Please accept my sincere apologies; we will certainly act on your recommendations. Could you please contact me by e-mail so we can find a suitable solution to erase the experience you had with us?

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Sure, this hotel is at a great location: nice restaurants on the same street and the railway station just a stone's throw away. But the "design" part of it really depends on what your definition is: for me, I'd call this Eden Unconventional Hotel, but maybe not design, unless you count the Aarnio dogs chained outside the door. Walking in, the lobby was dedicated to tennis, in a way a nice touch, but feeling too much of a sponsorship opportunity by a tennis website which had it's url displayed in many places. The room itself seemed to echo an American Diner, also quite a surprise. The stay was good, but prepare to be surprised!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011 via mobile

The hotel was very good, the staff where very pleasant and helpful, the location was great just minutes away from the train station, there is shops and bars on the same street. The only fault in the hotel was a very very slippery bath, I had to put a towel down inside the bath so I stand on it to stop me sliding but even then I was a bit wary, also the bath was a bit high to get in and out of not very good for people with mobility problems or children. Overall I will go back to this hotel it was great.

• Stayed July 2011
DirkJanDoek, General Manager at Designhotel Maastricht - Hampshire Eden, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for you review and your feedback. I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed the Eden Designhotel Maastricht.

Could you send me an e-mail with your details? This enables me to take a look at the room in which you were staying with us and gives me the opportunity to fix the problem with the bath.

For people that are having mobility problems we offer a special room, this is an adjusted room with for example a special bathroom. If you prefer such a room please contact our reservation department, they will be happy to help you!

Once again I would like to thank you for your review and your feedback. If you could send me your details this would be very helpful. If you may have any other questions or remarks please contact me at: dirk-jan.doek@edenhotelgroup.com or directly call me at 0031 (0)6 23 42 8991

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

We stayed here for one night, it's a comfortable hotel in the city centre. We had a basic room, which was absolutely fine, nothing fancy, but hence the basic. We visited the hotel by motorcycle and were happily surprised to be able to park it in a secure area on the back of the hotel. They even gave us a room that overlooked the motorcycle. The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was really nice and the breakfast area looked beautiful. Next time in Maastricht we will be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, I passed on the compliments to the entire Eden Designhotel team. Next time when you are in Maastricht ask our Front Desk if they can give you some information regarding the “Mergel route”. This is a beautiful trip through the landscape of Limburg! Worth the try when you are on the motorcycle!

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in Maastricht! And if you may have any questions or remarks please contact me at: dirk-jan.doek@edenhotelgroup.com or directly call me at 0031 (0)6 23 42 8991

General Manager Eden Designhotel Maastricht

Been to Designhotel Maastricht - Hampshire Eden? Share your experiences!