“Best for the backpacking set” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Matuchi
Kleine Gracht 34, 6211 CB Maastricht, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #25 of 38 hotels in Maastricht
Seattle
“Best for the backpacking set”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Maastricht seems to have a many over-priced hotels with variable standards of quality, so the Hotel Matuchi deserves praise for being clean, friendly, offering free internet, large rooms, and being in an excellent location. It is a good choice for young independent travelers: prices are reasonable, there is a hookah/shisha lounge, restaurant, and cocktail bar on the first floor that offers a bit of an interesting scene in a city that otherwise seems overly sanitized. However, I don't think I'd personally stay there again. It feels less like a hotel than like staying in your Aunt's attic after she got back from a trip to Morocco and decided to decorate it with souvenirs. There aren't the usual amenities (such as a closet/wardrobe), and the building doesn't seem quite structurally sound. Be advised that there is a very steep and narrow staircase that would be difficult to navigate with heavy luggage.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel during TEFAF and, whilst the staff were nice I cannot sat the same for my experience. The room I was put in had at least two broken light bulbs so it was incredibly dim and difficult to see. There was no wardrobe and no hangers so I was not able to hang any of my clothes. There was no hair dryer and no soap, after asking I did eventually manage to get hold of an iron. I spent a long sleepless night listening to every guest ascend the stairs which caused my bathroom door to rattle in its hinges and you can only get wifi in the dark and smoky bar/restaurant area.
I sampled the food one evening, choosing lamb tagine. Considering this place markets itself as Moroccan inspired I was expecting something nice, what arrived was not a tagine (no shallots, no dates or apricots, no cous cous, no almonds etc.). It was a lamb stew and a very very bland one at that. I resent paying for food when I could have cooked this myself and it would have tasted infinitely better.
All in all, a pretty awful experience. The one good thing is the location, perfect if you want to explore the city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

There are two doors to the hotel, rooms to the right and the restaurant to the left the check in is done in the restaurant which was very easy and the staff were very friendly. The rooms are up a very steep set of steps so if you have heavy luggage I can see it being a huge problem, the room was very clean. In the evening the restaurant becomes busy and there is loud music, which fortunately did stop at around 12.30 as I was on the first flight out in the morning. The ambience would suit young travellers passing through Maastricht. It is very central which you could not fault.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mosta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our room was comfotable and lacked nothing, it was on the first floor so we only had to handle one floor of stairs (if you room is on the third floor the stairs may be a nightmare as there is no elevator and the stairs are steep and narrow). We had a full bath ensuite and a lovely room, nicely finished. Our room was a bit noisy in the night because of the bar downstairs and services in the yard but our friends had another room at the back and they had no issues. The hotel is a step away from the market square with easy access to bus stops on both sides. The staff is friendly and I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

When paying 60 euros per night, you don't expect a whole lot, but we were pleasantly surprised with this hotel. The hotel is very centrally located, the rooms are immaculately clean and nicely decorated and the beds - although maybe a little small - are very comfy. Our room did not have a bathroom inside, but one across the hall, which wasn't a huge problem for us, but of course we would rather have had one inside of our room. The bathroom however was just for us, so no having to share it with other guests!
I highly recommend this place if you don't want to spend a lot of money on a hotel, but still want to have a comfortable stay while being in a central location!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

So I booked this place as a crash pad for a two day cycling getaway. For €65 midweek I wasn't expecting much. What we got was an immaculately clean and comfortable room and a nice bathroom. I often react to dusty hotel rooms, but this one was so well kept that I slept well without my habitual BreatheRight strip.The bartender sent us around the back with our bikes so we could park them for the night on the fenced-in terrace. Perfect. Quite a few stairs to climb in this place, but I don't go to Limburg to avoid exercise.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Romantic Hotel nice and clean. I enjoyed the stay there during the carnaval period.
You might have to know a few facts on the hotel. The checkin is in the restaurant, you will get a key of the frontdoor of the hotel. There are no rooms at groundlevel and they don't have an elivator. so less suitable for disabled people. My room was very nice in oriantal style including bathroom with bath. Room was cleaned every day. The light are a little dim, not really good if you want to work in the room but very romantic. I have been missing a waterboiler for my dayly coffee, but there are lots off pleaces nearby where you can get coffee. the room did not have a bar or safe.
As the hotel is in the middle of the center of Maastricht is a relative quiet street its just the perfect location for a visit to this city.
The hotel offers a very inexpensive breakfast allthough i am not able to provide information of the quality of it as i didn't have time for breakfast on time at this trip.
There is no aircon, but as days are not getting that hot, this should be no problem onless you travel midsummer.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Matuchi? Share your experiences!