“Amazing weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Heerlen
Düsseldorf
“Amazing weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

What a fantastic place! We enjoyed our weekend a lot! A verry nice and personal hotel and an excellent restaurant. We will come back!

• Stayed September 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Darmstadt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

Went to the hotel with my wife for a romantic "Valentines" getaway, staying in one of the turret "suites" in the main building.

The hotel was very nicely kitted out - it's the first time I've stayed in a hotel in Holland with a decent sized bath! An in-room sauna, plenty of space, mini bar and a fantastic view all combined to make this a really nice stay.

The meal in the restaurant was fantastic - the only tiny downside was we ordered the wine arrangement with the meal which proved to be extremely generous - by the end of four courses both of us were legless!

My biggest gripe with this hotel (and it is only minor) can certainly be applied to pretty much any Dutch hotel. They have done a fine job of trying to mask the surrounding areas and give you the impression you are in the countryside, but you must realise that you're only about 100 metres from a motorway and close to a very built up area. The drive through the "Chemalot" chemical works was a bit of an eye opener as it's only about 5 minutes away.

This is being picky and I really don't want to detract from the fact this is a great hotel - good food, good rooms, good service. But if I were looking for a country hotel, I'd keep going south for an hour into the Ardennes region where you're surrounded by real nature, not a glorified garden.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2008

The main purpose of our trip to The Netherlands was to visit the beautiful little town of Valkenburg and its Christmas market.
We flew into Dusseldorf airport and drove down via the christmas markets in Dusseldorf and in Aachen (both well worth a visit).

The reason we chose to stay in the Kasteel Terworm was because of the fabulous reviews it had received as well as its close proximity to Valkenburg.

The Hotel itself is minutes from the motorway but you would never know. After driving down a long tree lined lane you chance upon this little piece of paradise, with its beautiful moat and well kept grounds, the beauty and tranquility is breathtaking.

We booked a regular twin room (The Peter van cortenbach room, No. 17) but it was everything but regular. We were located in one of the outer buildings in the courtyard.
It was a large room with its own terrace which overlooked the moat. Mini Bar, Hairdryer, Complimentary toiletries, bath and shower, seating area and desk.

Breakfast was served in the main building and had a nice selection to choose from Boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms, various breads, yoghurts, cereals, meats and cheeses.

We ate in the restaurant on one of the evenings. Although a very extravagant expenditure the food was to die for.
We ate off of the set menu and for 80 euros each we had a bottle of wine, a drink to start, a 4 course meal and coffees. The restaurant is a definite 'must do' if you have the money.

Being Christmas the castle was beautifully decorated with fabulous christmas trees in each room.
The Reception area was small, cosy and inviting. The staff all spoke very good english and were extremely helpful especially when we realised we had forgotten our toothpaste.

The grounds are lovely and I wish we had more time to explore. Little pathways lead off of the gardens and we were constantly passing dog walkers and joggers so that alone indicated there was more to see.

The location was perfect for us. We wanted somewhere out of the way. Somewhere remote and beautiful but within driving distance of interesting little things to see and visit.

Valkenburg was only about 10-15mins in the car, and the little town was something out of an old christmas film.
We sat outside various little restaurants, warmed by the patio heaters and dazzled by the decorations and lights drinking Gluhwine and Amaretto to our hearts content. We were extremely lucky to catch the Christmas parade where the whole town turned out to cheer on their little ones and the lovely floats which went by. The atmosphere brought a tear to my eye.
Personally I found the market in Valkenburg very disappointing. The caves were beautifully, it was just a shame about the commercial rubbish being solid within them.

It couldn't have been a more perfect weekend and we will definitely be going back. Having experienced the castle in the winter, I can only imagine how utterly beautiful it must be in the summer. Perfect for a romantic weekend away with some walking thrown in.

• Liked — Room, Dinner and the beauty of the hotel
  • Disliked — Swimming Pool was at another hotel down the road
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

I stayed here for two nights on business. This has got to be one of the best "hotels" (if you can call it this!) in Europe. It's hardly a hotel - it really is a castle, and it is fantastic.

I arrived late (and tired) and the reception was extremely friendly and also efficient. I was shown to my room, and a young guy hauled my extremely heavy (25kg) bag up the stairway for me (which I really appreciated, after having lugged it around on the Dutch railways for the last couple of days). The room was very spacious, and very well laid out. Furnishings were elegant and tasteful. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the room included a television and a work desk.

The bathroom and shower were superb - there was a separate bath, as well as the shower recess, and I found the toiletries supplied were excellent (soap, shower cap, vanity set etc).

The breakfasts each morning were very good. There was a large range of breads and pastries, as well as a selection of cereals, a range of juices, a selection of cold meats, and some hot food (scrambled egg, bacon, mushrooms and hard boiled eggs). The service was excellent.

I had dinner on one night, and while a bit pricey (as noted by other reviewers), the food and the presentation were exceptional. The service was consistently attentive but unobtrusive.

The physical surroundings and location of the Kasteel TerWorm are quite amazing. The castle has its own moat, all around it, beautiful fountains in the central courtyard, and is surrounded by forests/woodlands around it. It is well away from city traffic/noise, which is a huge bonus, in my opinion.

I definitely recommend this hotel as a top quality, yet different, hotel where you can genuinely get some rest as well as enjoying top-class facilities.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2007

I stayed here on business but would happily pay to stay here on holiday (if it was anywhere other than Heerlen!).

Having stayed one night in the Best Western Grand Hotel Heerlen (worst hotel in Western Europe) I was astonished that such a small amount of extra money per night could buy me such a wonderful place.

I took one of their Senior suites which anywhere else in Europe would probably have cost 2 or 3 times as much.

The check-in staff were friendly and efficient and when I got the room I was amazed to find one side overlooking the beautiful court yard and the other (with picture windows and a balcony) overlooking the lake and fields beyond.

The hotel apears to be a refurbished chateau style building along a mansion style private road.

The refurbishment is quite recent and the rooms have been furnished very tastefully and sympathetically. Beautifully in fact!

My room was in the courtyard, just a few yards from the main hotel building which housed the reception, bar and restaurant.

The bar was very friendly and staff professional (I stayed longer than I should have). A member of bar staff offered to arrange a table in the restaurant above, which, given the influx of people to the bar, appeared to be busy with a select clientele from outside the hotel as well as guests (a good sign).

The restaurant was relatively small and rather formal, so not to everybody's taste, however the food in contrast was very straight forward yet beautifully presented. I had the best desert I can remember - it was the banana one - wow - and the house red was exceptional.

You would have to go a long way to find a better hotel at this or greater prices.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Netanya, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2006

I had a meeting in Heerlen, so I spent the night in the Kasteel Terworm.

All I can say is WOW!

The Hotel is set in beautiful grounds well away from the road. The gardens are stunning, the hotel itself is very impressive.

I had a room in the courtyard building on the ground floor. The room itself was beautifully furnished, very large, huge bathroom with seperate batth and Shower.

The restaurant is fairly pricey (my meal cost me 52 Euros - 3 courses and a beer) but incredible food, service and presentation. Its trully a 5 star restaurant.

I would highly recommend this hotel for small conferences or weddings. Its trully a gem. Next time I have business in Heerlen I will bring my wife with me and stay here. I can't wait!

• Liked — The quiet, the restaurant, the rooms, the gardens
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay here!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Leicester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2005

I recently stayed at Terworm for three nights on business. The building and surround is beautiful - it has its own moat! I stayed in one of the larger rooms in the courtyard build rather than in the castle itself.

The room itself was stunning looking but would have been much better if the hotel management had bothered a little more. For example - the bathroom was spacious, with a tub and separate shower - but the shower was small and fixed so it was impossible to adjust the temperature without either standing under it while doing so or flooding the floor. The toiletry pack provided was smart looking but with unnecessarily cheap contents - take your own soap and shampoo! The bedspread on my bed had a large stain on it. I reported this to reception and asked that the house keeper deal with it in the morning, which she did by just taking it away and not giving me another.

The breakfast was also really disappointing, mostly in packets with only bacon and eggs available cooked.

One thing that I would recommend is the evening dinner - 3 courses for around 35 euro - great value for money and the food was amazing. I'm vegaterian and used to disappointing meals but this was really great. Book in advance, especially if you're only staying the one night, as the restaurant is generally full in the evenings.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business

Been to Kasteel Terworm? Share your experiences!