“Price is four-star, standard in not...” 3 of 5 stars

Amrath Grand Hotel Heerlen
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Groene Boord 23, NL-6411GE Heerlen, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Heerlen
Oslo, Norway
“Price is four-star, standard in not...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012 via mobile

Arriving sunday night, the window at the room was open, so the room temp was freecing. The sanitary facilities are out of date, as it's impossible to take a shower without experiencing water pulsating from HOT to cold continuously. The doors are not isolated with regards to sound, nor is the window towards the street. Therefore, if you cant sleep, you can rather count passing cars rather than sheep. Also, since you can hear every single person passong the door, it's easy to tell when the breafast starts.

In general, Grand Hotel may be grand, but it's not great...

• Stayed March 2012

61 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Germany/USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

We had 3 rooms for one night on a Saturday night. We had two doubles and a triple. For the price it was a good rate considering we were near Brunssum Saturday am then were going to Snow World Sunday.

The property is nice, clean, and easy to find.

We got a rate that included breakfast. Parking is an extra 8.50.

You can easily walk to city center.

All of our rooms were very different.

One double had a bath tub the other only a shower.

Pros

good breakfast considering it was included in the room rate

convenient parking

very nice staff

good sized rooms for Europe

clean and comfy beds, not rock hard like many are

great water pressure, plenty of hot water

decent sized hanging area and schrank

Cons

The triple was large but the TV did not work and there was not a blow dryer. The mom and kids in the triple room asked if they could just swap one TV in another room for theirs and they could not. They were already showered and unpacked so they did not want to move to another room. I was surprised that they did not just let them switch TVs with another room, it was only one of those 19" light TVs with just a plug/easy to move. I did not know this until the next morning and felt bad as I booked us all three here. They also did not have a blow dryer in the room at all for their hair.

I would stay here again for a night or two.

May people say 'not a 4 star' but hotels here are not rated like they are in the USA.

Room Tip: We liked 429, had a tub--:)
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

The hotel's website claims to be a four star hotel but we found that one star too many.
The first impression in the loby is ok, the staff are friendly, checkin went smooth and the checkin lady gave good advice. The lobby is quite big, darkish and imposing, but still ok and there is a pool table which we did play on later in the evening. But then when you step into the elevator, the worn carpet floor and wall coverings are not really welcoming and the big stains on the carpet in the hallway even less.
The room is quite big as well is the bathroom. Besides a few stains on the carpet all was quite clean. Bed is comfortable, however the tv ws not functioning. We decided we would watch some news on the pad, but wifi was not free and costing almost 6€ for 50 minutes! Unfortunately, the decoration of the room is a mix but not match. It looks the cheapest from a catalogue dating from the 70ies and 80ies, with no sense of how certain styles and colours just don't match.
The breakfast buffet offers a wide range although I still wonder what the scrambled eggs were made of, not from eggs anyway.

The location is quite central to the main shopping and restaurants area. The hotel offers parking facility at 8,5€. The price of the overnight includes a breakfast so price-wise we can't complain. With some efforts of paying attention to clean carpets and some refurbishment of the rooms, it would be worth it's money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

It seems very difficult to find a good hotel at all in Heerlen. We opted for the Amrath Grand Hotel, thinking it would be our best bet (we had a business meeting there). Sadly we were extremely disappointed. It was so bad, we found it funny… Like a large-scale, concrete, Dutch Faulty Towers!

The reception is breathtaking in its eccentric 'design'. I wish I had taken some personal photos as I can't quite describe it. It's not charming or pleasant eccentric, but rather distasteful and cheap. Here's a number of items within the same room I can think of to help you imagine.... brown sliding doors (electric), low grey and gigantic armchairs, a number of small oriental carpets, a black candelabra, dried brown flowers, an oversized grey/beige stone fireplace full of old chocolate wrappers, square 80's cream armchairs, glass cabinets with a selection of Dutch souvenirs & a pair of police hand cuffs (!!), a black bar table and a large dining room table in the middle of the room, a corner with teas bags permanently laid out on the table (but no actual tea-making facility).... Completely random and very badly used space.

The receptionists and hospitality team are ultra-friendly with permanent smiles glued on - to the point where I felt they were actually on some kind of medication. I had various 'issues' during my stay and they kept saying 'no problem', promising it would be sorted out. Sadly nothing were and I'm not sure they even understood (or cared) I was unhappy. The general manager got involved in the end but I did not feel any more confidence in him than the receptionists. He made a bit of a 'show' coming out to introduce himself as the General Manager and promised me great service (a young, Dutch Basil!). Clearly he forgot to tell his team and nothing improved. I really can not stand such shows of 'power-display' (especially when making no difference whatsoever) but did feel it was perfectly in line with the hotels general feel and lack of service.

Going upstairs, the hotel rooms are even worst than front of house. They really are lost in time (not sure when - a combo of 60's, 70's and 80's). Again, lots of drab and cheap materials. The kind of place that feels a bit musky and dirty although it's perfectly clean. I actually think they had re-filled the mini-bottles of shampoo in the bathroom. If not, they were sticky from something else... Yuk! There were no 'proper' large duvet but instead two smaller quilts on the bed - I had to use both to cover myself at night. The window was facing the main road and had to be left open to get some air in the room (no air con), making it very noisy and unpleasant to sleep in. I won't bore you with more details - just don't go here! The food is just as bad.

The Amrath Hotel say on their own website they have "stylish and comfortable overnight accommodation, delicious food and beverages, efficient meetings, a range of events and parties in a wide choice of function rooms". THIS IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF THE TRUTH - staying at The Amrath is not an experience worth having in my opinion.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Heerlen hotels

Sarasota, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

We enjoyed our 1-night stay. The hotel entrance and lobby are warm and inviting. The service was friendly. The rooms were nothing special but they were comfortable and clean. I came to this hotel as part of a tour group and we had piano music during dinner. The pianist was excellent, as was the dinner. The breakfast was a typcial European buffet style. We arrived early enough to take a walk before dinner. I especially liked that the hotel was only a 5-minute walk into the center of Heerlen and there was a friendly shopping area that had the feeling of a village rather than a city. This was a comfortable hotel for our 1-night stay.

• Liked — Location to shopping area and dining experience
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

I used a gift voucher to book a special package at this hotel.

It included a one night stay, a 4 courses meal and free entry tickets for the "Gaia Park" zoo in Heerlen.
It was my original intention to get a weekend away with my wife. However we decided at the last moment to take our two kids with us.
The hotel then gave us a very good deal on a similar package for the children and organised for us two adjoining double rooms with an interconnecting door. The children just loved having their own room ;-)

Check-in was easy and although we were so early (10AM) that the rooms were not ready yet, they already gave is our entrance tickets for the Park.
This gave us the possibility to visit the park at our leisure and to check in late in the evening.

Our rooms were at the top floor (6th) and were very well furnished and clean. I really cannot share any negative comments on the room that the other reviewers had. Perhaps the rooms have been recently refurbished ?

The bed was a little bit too soft for me, but then again that is almost always the case in hotels ....

The dinner that was part of the package was certainly ok. The children adored the fact that they were not given any menus to choose from but could just state what they wanted to eat. They got exactly what they asked for (tomato soup, chicken, chips and ice cream ;-D

A negative point was the fact that the windows were not as sound-thight as they could've been. The hotel is situated right next to a busy motorway and I could hear the cars racing by all evening. I was the only one suffering from this however: everyone else slept soundly and had no complaints whatsoever.

The breakfast was excellent. It was buffet style and you could get evreything needed for a healthy and/or greasy cold/hot breakfast.

I cannot really comment on the neighbourhood of the hotel.We only used the hotel as a base, and used the car to go to Gaia Park and Monde Verde park. We never even walked around the block.

All in all, it was a nice short stay, an attractive package for a good price.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — the noise from the road
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
erie, pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for a week on a business trip in June of 2007. The entrance, lobby and restaurant were pleasing but the rooms were sub par. The hotel touts itself as providing luxurious 4 star accomodations. This is far from the truth. Maybe in the 80's this was a 4 star hotel but not today. The rooms were dingy and outdated.

The worst part of my stay was receiving my bill. This hotel double-charged my credit card and refused to rectify the situation.

It has taken me three months and numerous emails to the Best Western Corporate Office in order to get this fixed.

My advice….Don’t stay at this hotel unless you have to. Better yet….stay in Maastricht

Stayed June 2007

Been to Amrath Grand Hotel Heerlen? Share your experiences!