“Perfectly located between city and nature” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampshire Hotel - Groningen Centre

You added Hampshire Hotel - Groningen Centre to your Saves list
Hampshire Hotel - Groningen Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Radesingel 50, 9711 EK Groningen, The Netherlands (Binnenstad-Zuid)   |
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Groningen
Mijdrecht, The Netherlands
“Perfectly located between city and nature”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We were presently surprised by everything the hotel and the surroundings had to offer. We stay in the north of the Netherlands quite often and this is a hotel to come back to.
We were there on one of those rare hot days we sometimes have in The Netherlands and decided to treat ourselves and get an executive room because it had airco. The airco worked perfectly and was quiet.
The room was big, on the seventh floor with a beautiful view over the lakes. The only negative thing we could find was the dust on all surfaces just above eye level. I wrote something in the dust and after 3 days it was still there.

The breakfast buffet has everything you can ask for. Lots of healthy options, fresh fruit and local organic juices. But you can also get bacon and eggs and those tiny Dutch pancakes we call 'poffertjes'.

The pool is basic and could be cleaner.

The staff are very helpful and friendly. When we checked out we were even offered some fresh fruit for the drive home.

The location is perfect for a city trip, but also for nice hikes or bike rides through the countryside. If you have some time, go for a nice stroll around the lake and (if it's the right season) pick some blackberries or raspberries that grow all over the place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the right wing, which overlooks the lakes. The other wing overlooks the highway.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The wonderful friendly staff contrasts with this so-called hotel which shares a building with other businesses. It is dull and lifeless and I passed it by whilst looking for it because it so does not look like a hotel. Located in a very quiet corner of Groningen, nearby a canal - which may suit some - it is lacking in any atmosphere. Although it contains a nice looking bar - wait for it - you have to ask one of the reception staff to go and get you a drink from it. The rooms are very large, an office converted to a hotel-room, apparently it was once a clinic. and the décor was very poor. It was not to my liking in any way, but as mentioned at the start, the only redeeming factor was the staff, who were extremely helpful.

Room Tip: a room facing the canal would be helpful
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Was here for just the night. But c/i went quick. Good room, flat screen tv, nice coaps, small desk. Would reccommend the hotel to get some harder pillows. Also to put a small shelf within the showercabin so the guest can put the soap on it instead of having to put it on the floor. But it is a nice location for a one or two night sleep.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Stroud, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I am a touring musician so I like my hotels cheap, clean, and convenient. I don't care about workout rooms or pools or how new it is, I just want to relax when I'm in my room! This hotel is within walking distance from the city centre and had underground parking for an additional €15. Parking is important to me as when on tour I am driving from city to city. My room on the 6th floor was spacious and appeared recently refurbished. The view from my room window and from the hallway outside the door was wonerful. Bed comfort was very good, cleanliness in the room and in public areas were perfect. Free coffee and tea (and more importantly, latte and cappuccino!) is available on the ground floor througout the day. The staff was friendly and helpful at all times...(1) when I had trouble making a phone call from both my room and my mobile phone, the girl behind the desk came out to help me from the hotel lobby phone. (2) We didn't want the entire breakfast, so one of the staff spoke to the manager and we were each given a croissant with jam for no charge with our coffee. Internet was available for free and worked better on my phone than on my laptop, not sure why. Wi-fi in the lobby had no problems. Please note that there is limited space in the parking garage and you must leave your keys with the hotel desk. As a driver raised in America, I found the small spaces intimidating but having lived in the UK for the past year I am familiar with the impossibly small spaces you sometimes have to maneuver your car into...I managed it in my slightly-smaller-than-average size Toyota sports car but if you are driving an SUV and are from America, you might find it challenging to park. Given the size and quality of the room as well as the central location, you get a lot for the money. The Hampshire City Hotel was nearer the venue we were playing at, but more expensive...I might stay there but I will likely return to this hotel when we come back next year to Groningen...either way, I would definitely recommend the Hampshire chain of hotels as my first choice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Guernsey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Once again this was a one night stop hotel. The hotel is poorly signposted and could be difficult to find. Modern in design, with a friendly reception. Has a swimming pool (not used by us) and close to a park area, which is ideal for a short walk. Wifi in the rooms was patchy, and no tea/coffee facilities in the room. We had a standard meal in the restaurant, with a bottle of wine, and this worked out at over £80 for 2 of us - overpriced for the quality, in our opinion.
Looks more like a business persons hotel, rather than a holiday maker!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Karlsruhe, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The Hampshire Hotel Groningen Centre is conveniently located in walking distance from both city centre and main railway station.
Obviously our spacious room was refurbished recently. Bed comfort was very good, cleanliness in the room and in public areas were perfect. Free coffee and tea is available on the ground floor througout the day. Very nice for an afternoon break! The staff was friendly and helpful at all times. Another highlight: Internet was available for free.
Given the size and quality of the room as well as the central location, you get a lot for the money. I would definitely return to this hotel for my next trip to Groningen.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I find the service great, food great and the rooms very comfortable . Just missing a workout room which would have made it more except able. The staff has alway been helpful and practical. It is good to be at a hotel where the atmosphere is great from when you first come in and you see that it is genuine.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hampshire Hotel - Groningen Centre? Share your experiences!