“Clean, organized but no wi-fi” 3 of 5 stars

Simplon Youthhotel
Simplon Youthhotel
Boterdiep 73-2, Groningen 9712 LL, The Netherlands   |
Goiania, GO
“Clean, organized but no wi-fi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

Pros:
- Good common space
- They have options for lunch and dinner
- Clean
- Location is ok. 15 min walking from the city center.
- Helpful staff.

Cons:
- No wi-fi. Just 1 computer with very slow internet.
- Shower without temperature control and with timer
- A little noisy.
- Little smelly in some places.

Room Tip: Try to get smaller rooms
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

16 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

Okay, I'm not sure how representative this review is, please consider the following:
- I spent only one night at the place (went to cinema with a friend and didn't feel like driving all the way back to my home). It was on a thursday. I arrived late (at 23:30) and left early (07:30) and didn't book breakfast.
I found the place easy to find. There were parking facilities across the street and since I was there only at night the parking was free for me (it's charged between 9 am and 10 pm).
There were not many guests. I booked a bed in the dorm and got one in the female dorm. The dorm had like.... 16 beds? Apart from me there was just one other girl.
I found the dorm pretty clean. Also, in the morning I was pleasantly surprised by the cleanness of the shower facilities and the bathroom.
Now for the slightly worse parts:
- the desk staff was sort of unprofessional. I booked by phone and they tried to charge me for a single room, though I booked a bed in a dorm. However, when I told them this, it was not a problem and I got a dorm bed anyway. Also, I rented stuff for bed (blankets and such) and the guy handed them to me and said that if I missed something I could return. I think they should've checked themselves if everything was there...
- The mattress was a bit hard. I don't mind, since I like that, but I can imagine some people might get annoyed by it.
- I'm not sure about the location. I think it's pretty close to the city center, but since I was by car and didn't go into the center I can't be sure.

Overall, I think it's a great deal! I spent the night there for just somewhat over 15 euros including tourist taxes. The place was clean. The check in and check out were smooth. If I'll have to stay the night in Groningen again, I'd definitely go here!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

I really liked it here because i didn´t have much money to spend and you can stay here for a good price in a nice and clean place. The food is very good. Breakfast is great and for a cheap price you can have great diner with very good service!!!

If you have a map it is not hard to find and most people know where the Boterdiep is.

So yes, if i ever go back to Groningen i will go back!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
groningen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

i had some friends over . my house doesn't have enough space so they stayed in the Simplon Youthhotel. they really enjoyed their stay there: nice rooms ( they stayed in 2 double rooms which looked really nice and clean) nice atmosphere, the service was good and the price just right.
we had dinner together in the restaurant of the hotel: Eetcafe 73-2
i really liked the restaurant: nice menu and very good food! we enjoyed it very much
the next time i will friends or familiy over i will certainly sent them to the simplon hotel and its restaurant

Room Tip: ask for a room upstairs: they really look nice!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
near here
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

They gave me a room I did not book and charged me more.

When I pointed out that the room was not what I had confirmed, they just rudely said "This room is better, its bigger." No apologies.

It`s hard to find this place too as it`s like, behind the brick walled building.
They have no sign outside clearly stating where they are.
Though, once you know where it is, the location is okay.
Still not the best..

The room was filthy with old carpet lining.
I found a hair in bed. Maybe you dont change the linens every time?

Bathroom had no toilet paper.
Shower room floods.

The breakfast is ok if you are one of the early ones.
two kinds of ham and two kinds of cheese, two types of bread with butter and jam and chocolate spread, fruits (banana, orange and apple. popular ones will be gone fast)

I cant stand the filthiness of the place so I will not be back.
If you pay about 10 euro more, you can find private accomodations near thats far better.

They provide soap, shampoo and towel.

• Stayed June 2009

Been to Simplon Youthhotel? Share your experiences!