“Excellent hotel, great service and hospitality” 4 of 5 stars

Van der Valk Hotel Arnhem
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Amsterdamseweg 505, 6816 VK Arnhem, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Arnhem
scotland
“Excellent hotel, great service and hospitality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in December to attend family celebrations in nearby Rozendaal. Very cold and snowy weather, but the hotel's warm and friendly atmosphere made up for the outside chill. Rooms were first class, spacious, warm, clean with good quality fitting and bathrooms, although they do lack tea and coffee making equipment which is a bit of a pain if you fancy a quick drink in your room. Public areas are very clean and modern, particularly the plush toilets on the lower ground floor, and cosy bar for getting together in the evening.
Restaurant is very spacious, and we had one evening meal as well as breakfasts on the three days. All very well presented and served, with very friendly and professional staff - also a feature of reception and cleaning staff as well. Extensive buffet style breakfast, lots of choice and well cooked.
This hotel is some distance from Arnhem centre, but does have a bus stop outside the hotel with an hourly / half hourly service to the centre. It's very convenient if you've got a car, because you're minutes away from major roads / motorways, and it's also very convenient for the national Olympic sports training centre at Papendal, just round the corner.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Bedfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

I have been using this hotel many times for work and I am fairly disappointed by the level of service overall.

I find the rooms are not cleaned to the standard I would expect. I always found hair in the bath, shower and console. Toilet seat questionably clean, stained on wall. The attention to details is poor and I have found stained on carpet and chairs before.

The temperature control is a major issue. Bring two jumpers as the rooms are always very cold and the noisy air com system doesn't seem to work. I have tried it in so many rooms, it is the same in all of them. It is just cold. They are too tight to allow their guest a bit of heat.

The general culture of the staff is quite dismissive. The reception staff seems to be unable to say "good morning" when you pass them on your way to the breakfast room. In fact, they can't even acknowledge your presence, they won't even look at you.

When I had issues, it took for ever to resolve it and if they had to change the room because something fundamental isn't working, they asked if i had used the bathroom. I thought they were going to give me a cleaning bucket! They seemed very unwilling to help and a customer is more of a bother than anything else.

The quality of the food has gone down. I pay extra for room service and the food looks very sorry by the time it has reached me.

The wi fi keeps stopping, so you have to log on every time which I find very annoying. It is as they like to make it as difficult as possible, so you won't use it.

Another thing which annoy me dearly, is the fact that the light switch itself off in the swimming pool and sauna area after 10 min. Be prepared to feel very lonely in the dark if you go for a swim.

Anyway, it is overall very average but they seem to think it is a luxury hotel. Well, no it isn't. Just very average.

• Stayed January 2013
Zuid-Scharwoude
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Because we (a group of six) had a meeting at Papendal National Sports Centre.
We prepared this at Van der Valk. All group members live in different parts of the Netherlands.

So we combined diner with prelimenairy discussions.
Excellent food and professional staff who realized our tied scedule.

They have also good hotel facilities very close the National Park De Veluwe.
"De Veluwe" is also the site name of this hotel in Arnhem.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Tunbridge Wells
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I would describe this primarily as a business hotel and had the misfortune to have to stay here recently for about eighteen days over a four week period. Other hotels in the area I stayed in were frankly no better and often worse, so perhaps this is the expected standard in this part of Netherlands. So what was wrong with it? Well the standard rooms for a start come without wifi, tea/coffee making facilities/air conditioning/etc (you can pay extra for the deluxe room to get these facilities IF they have any available which doesn't seem to be the case very often). The beds (two singles pushed together) were very bad, as the mattress moved about so much on the base I found myself deposited on the floor when I sat up and swung my legs round to get out of bed and the mattress tilted. The lighting was very dingy, sure I know this is a problem with long life bulbs, but there are ways around this problem. Food, breakfast was acceptable, evening meals by and large were uninspired and sometimes downright bad. I ate little of a tournedos one night, I hadn't intended to even mention it as I was too tired, but when the waiter enquired I explained it was badly cooked, medium instead of rare, and was a poor quality piece of meat being very 'chewy'. He asked if I wanted it replaced but my fellow diners had finished so the answer was no. That was the end of it and it appeared on the bill without reduction. The upside of this was my colleagues and I found much better restaurants within a short drive of the hotel and avoided eating in the hotel. Then there was the episode in the downstairs bar where we arrived about 22:00 having worked late and the barman, who told us he was just seventeen (why was he serving alcohol at that age?) was put out by our aarrival and after a couple of drinks announced he was closing the bar (In the pamphlets the bar has no closing time shown, and I would expect hotel bars to remain open while guests wished to drink, rather than throwing them out before 23:00 on a week night. By and large, given the exceptions above, the staff were friendly and helpful so I feel a change of management style and a good look at what they were offering, particularly from the kitchen, could pull this hotel back. Until then however, I won't be revisiting!

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, go for the Deluxe room, though it costs more.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

A very good service indeed. Very polite and experienced staff and nice smart look on the inside and outside of the hotel itself.I must admit I would have like it to be a bit cheaper but you get what you pay for. Looking forward to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Well, we couldn't have asked for better - better accommodation, value, and rest after a days cycling in HOlland with our 13 month old toddler.

We had intended to camp or get a cabin at the nearby grounds (we had been cycling and camping for the past 2 weeks), however after they provided us with an indication of "cost" for 2 nights (as they apparently need to clean up after you) which was incredible for "trekking camper" we ended up at this hotel which was 50% cheaper and INCLUDED buffet breakfast.

We updated to a room that included tea/coffee facilities - and it was bigger than our lounge room at home. Free wifi/internet, a patio, great TV, a 4-5* restaurant, wonderful service, quiet, - I could go on.

It was fantastic.

And we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Definitely worth staying here - especially as it is CHEAPER than the nearby overpriced camp grounds...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dumfries, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Every thing about this hotel is good. The service, the room, the bar and the restaurant. I would like it a little cheaper but you get what you pay for I guess.
The reception area is a work of art and comfort.
Looking forward to staying there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Van der Valk Hotel Arnhem? Share your experiences!