“My Favorite Gastro-Pub in the Area!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Fox Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lower Oddington
The Fox Inn
You added The Fox Inn to your Saves list
Lower Oddington GL56 OUR, England   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
naples,fl
“My Favorite Gastro-Pub in the Area!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I enjoyed the Fox Inn so much that I ate there twice in 4 days. The ambience is cozy and I found the staff to be extremely welcoming and accomodating. The food quality I found to be a notch above some of the other gastro-pubs in the area. I particularly enjoyed the organic smoked salmon appetizer, and the chocolate pastry dessert they do is amazing.
Make sure you call ahead for a reservation, as the place gets packed on the weekends. I spoke to Ian, told him where I would like to sit, and the table was ready and waiting when I got there. Also, parking is a little tight. If you can't find a place just call when you're outside and they can direct you to park behind a staff member's car. Overall, the nicest group of people and incredible food!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

My family and I had the misfortune of having Sunday lunch at The Fox on Sunday 8 April. Having had dinner here a couple of years ago, we were really looking forward to another pleasant experience especially as this time we were celebrating the first birthday of our son.

I have to agree with other reviewers who have had a less than positive experience here recently. My complaints are similarly about the attitude of the waiting and other staff. They need some training in customer service, and in how not to appear arrogant.

Like my father-in-law, I ordered roast pork. Both of us were very disappointed with the amount of fat on our plates, and said so to the waiting staff. My father-in-law complained first, and was told that "it's the nature of the beast" before providing some leaner meat.

I did not say anything until the end of the meal, mainly because I had spent most of it running around after my toddler and consoling my baby so I had not had chance to eat much until everyone else had pretty much finished. As the same waiter cleared my plate I mentioned to him that he might like to let the chef know I was disappointed with how fatty my meat was. "Too fatty for you madam?" was his curt response. I then said that I thought that anybody would take issue with the amount of fat on the plate, to which he replied "that's the nature of the beast" in a condescending manner. I said I knew that pork was quite fatty but didn't expect quite so much fat. He then turned on his heel and said "I'll pass your comments to the chef" and swiftly marched off. No apology or anything.

Shortly afterwards, he came up to say that whilst other guests were perfectly happy with the pork (obviously he didn't ask my father-in-law in his little survey) they would not charge me for my meal as I was not happy with it. Rather backhanded I thought.

I expected more from the food, and a lot more from the staff. I have never been spoken to so rudely by somebody in a service capacity, and I will be recommending friends who visit the area give this place a wide berth.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Stayed two nights over the bank holiday, had dinner both nights in the busy restaurant, and had friends join us for dinner one night. Breakfast is just as good with plenty of fresh fruit and fresh croissants. Staff are relaxed, polite and efficient. The bedrooms are noisy but this is a 17th century building and I loved the charm. Not flash but well furnished and clean with one of the most comfortable beds I've ever stayed in. Oddington is a beautiful village. We'll be back.

• Stayed April 2012
Seaford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Staying in the Cotswolds for a couple of days we booked a table for dinner on Sunday evening for a 'significant' birthday. The Fox Inn was recommended and we prebooked a table several weeks earlier. Despite asking for a nice table we found other casual diners (there were only two other couples) with a better placed table. The menus took 20 minutes to arrive as they had not even been printed.
The food was tasteless and vegetables gave the appearance of having been reheated from lunch. Food scraps were shovelled on to my plate in front of me. The waiting staff were clearly untrained.
For these prices we expected something rather special. In fact my wife, who was treating me and subsequently reduced to tears, stated it was her worst dining experience in our 45 years of marriage.

New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

We enjoyed our meal in the charming Fox Inn, and would definitely visit again if in the Cotswolds.

Worcester, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

We have just returned from a lovely day out in the Cotswolds (80 mile round trip) of which the feature of the day was lunch at The Fox Inn, where we have on two other occasions had good meals (albeit these were in the week). Today was a huge disappointment and we certainly won't be back. Clearly they were busy but my husband and I have been to plenty of other busy pubs on a Sunday and not had the impression that the staff couldn't cope. When we arrived for our pre-booked table we stood at the entrance for a while until someone finally asked if we were being seen to. The lady that asked us pointed to a table and said "that's yours, straight ahead" although she quickly realised it might be more polite to show us to the table. We then sat there for a while as staff raced around us but at no point did anyone indicate that they would be with us soon. I eventually went and asked if we could place an order - the girl I spoke to was extremely polite and apologetic and the only member of staff who can credit herself with any form of service. She told us they were very busy which was obvious but that doesn't allow any establishment to not pay attention to their clientele.

Our order was taken - one risotto and one roast beef. When it came out the food was very nice but luke warm - so you find yourself rushing to eat it before it goes completely cold. The waiter in our area, Gavin, asked us how the food was and we said "nice but not very warm". He appeared very surprised and then bluntly asked us if we wanted to send it back to be redone. He didn't apologise once for the issue. Given that it was almost 3pm we declined the offer and decided just to eat it. When we had finished he took the plates away and didn't say anything again about the food quality or apologise for the lack of heat. A few minutes later he silently went to pass us menus (I assume he was offering dessert!) and we said no, we just wanted the bill. A few minutes after that he came back over and said "we're not charging you for the food as you didn't like it". That may seem to be a generous offer but the way it was delivered was appalling - he offered no apology, made me feel like I was in the wrong for raising the issue - and in fact, he was wrong - we did like the food, it just wasn't hot.
I would NEVER return to this pub again - I don't expect to pay these sorts of prices for such ignorant service. We get the distinct impression that unless you fall in the local, upper-class champagne swilling clientele then they really aren't interested in you.
Best of luck to anyone going on Mother's Day. If they can't cope with a regular Sunday then how they will manage next weekend is hard to imagine.

P.S. The dishes of salt and pepper might seem trendy, but given that I don't know whether the last person who put their fingers in the bowl washed their hands after going to the toilet, I would prefer a proper salt and pepper shaker.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Menu prices are at the top end (£20 for a small sirloin, tiny portion of fries and a handful of out of the bag salad) compared with other pubs in the area. Sadly the quality of food isn't. Like most people, I don't mind paying high prices for the best. The Fox needs to get things in balance - average food for average money.
Otherwise, a good local atmosphere.

• Stayed February 2012

Been to The Fox Inn? Share your experiences!