“Fresh pasta, pizza, and salads made to order” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pizza & Pasta
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, Late Night
Los Angeles, California
“Fresh pasta, pizza, and salads made to order”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I'm told that this is a chain from Germany, but the Italian food made to order seems pretty good to me. You get a card as you walk in and scan all your purchases (salad, pizza, pasta, drinks, dessert) as you choose. For pizza orders, they give you a pager to notify you when it's ready.

Cozy seats with a fireplace upstairs and a nice view to Sihlcity shopping center. The whole-wheat pasta is also really good. Reasonable prices for Zürich, and I like how they have a little bowl of mini gummy bears on the way out. :)

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
Zurich, Switzerland
“Nice pasta!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

An innovative restaurant concept serving very nice and freshly prepared pasta dishes. The salads and the pizza are also very good. The perfect place to enjoy a quick and real Italian lunch or dinner...

Visited April 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
“Freshly-made pasta/pizza as self-service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Vapiano has an excellent concept, i.e. a fast-food / (semi) self-service with quality, fresh Italian food. A very convenient place to have a post-shopping meal with minimal fuss and for a reasonable price. It should be noted that this place gets extremely crowded at lunch-time, as the hundreds of employees from the surrounding offices and the hordes of shoppers tend to clog the queues here between 12 noon till at least 2:00 PM. Since pasta dishes are made to order (pasta made on the premises and cooked in front of you; a seemingly endless possibility of toppings prepared and cooked there & then), you should count at least 7-8 minutes per customer, which means potentially standing in line for 20 minutes. It is therefore highly advisable to go off-peak hours on weekdays. Food is really very good, seating is ample (including outside), portions are generous. For a chain restaurant, it is high above the rest.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
NYC
“Yum!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Fresh pasta and pizza made right in front of you. My husband and I went on a Sunday evening and it was wasn't super busy. Both of our dishes (one pizza, one pasta) were delicious ... and the prices were reasonable.

Visited August 2012
San Diego, California
1,389 helpful votes 1,389 helpful votes
“Extremely FRESH pasta made your way....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We came to lunch here and LOVED it. We are staying in a rental apartment just a few blocks down from the area so we go to the grocery store located in the Sihlcity shopping mall just across from this restaurant.

We always saw this place totally packed and the pasta looked delicious when we saw people eating it. So we decided to come here for lunch yesterday. Boy was it a great decision!

The concept of this restaurant I really liked a lot. When you enter, they give you magnetic cards that you can use at each station to order things with. Then when you pay the bill, you can combine the cards (or if you're alone just pay for it).

There are 4 main stations. One is pizza, the other is salads, Pastas, and the other is a bar area where they make drinks. I was with my wife and 2 kids so they gave us 2 cards in case one of us wanted to order something in the other lines.

I read some of the negative reviews about having to wait in line. I'd recommend going later if you can. We went at 2 PM and it wasn't busy at all.

The reason it takes so long is because they totally make everything fresh! You literally see a glass walled area where people are making the fresh pasta right then and there. It doesn't get any fresher than that.

Then next to them, they have 4 chefs cooking your pasta exactly how you want it. They do have set menus if you don't want to create your own. I had them make my spaghetti with bacon, cherry tomatoes, pine nuts, zucchini, and then add arugula on top garnished with parmesan cheese. It was delicious! And made right there in front of me all with fresh ingredients.

There was a small line but it went quickly as they had 4 guys cooking. But I'm sure during rush hour it could get busy but certainly worth waiting for. Definitely the pasta was fresh and delicious and cooked to perfection!

You order what you want and just waive your electronic card by the scanners and it keeps track of your order. I'd recommend if you're alone and you are ordering multiple things you go get the salad first and then go get your pasta so your pasta doesn't get cold waiting.

Or if you're with a friend, have them go stand in line for the salad and you stand in line for the pasta and see what one another wants.

There were several tables inside. most of them were higher elevated chairs so they aren't the best if you have strollers with kids. But they did have a few lower chairs which we grabbed near the bar area which was perfect.

I thought this place by Zurich standards was quite reasonable. Pasta dishes were about 20 CHF each. Considering nothing special Chinese fast food was around the same or more, I thought this was good value for the money and the pasta was delicious!

Then when you are ready to leave, you just hand in your cards and pay at the front desk.

I'm sure we will be back here again before we leave Zurich next week.

• Visited July 2012