“Take away or eat in - a delicious duck curry” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thai Food-Express

Thai Food-Express
Schwamendingenstrasse 53, Zurich 8050, Switzerland (Oerlikon)
+41443103770
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,090 of 1,412 Restaurants in Zurich
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Oerlikon
Zurich, Switzerland
“Take away or eat in - a delicious duck curry”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Ever since I ate the duck curry a few months ago here (without the ananas), I have been wanting to eat it again... so tonight we went back... and I am so glad I did.

It is a simple space - that probably does more takeaway than eat in service. It is VERY simple - self service drinks - with a very pleasant one man show - waiter, chef proprietor.... but it was such a nice evening - a few Singha ... the duck curry and a nice catch up with my wife...

You go here for the food - not the ambience ... but it was very pleasant to eat in a quiet, unhurried setting.

Looking forward to another visit for more duck curry.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Zurich, Switzerland
“One good thing to say, but otherwise a disappointing and disrespecting visit”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I dined for lunch here at the Thai Food Express in Oerlikon. It’s a small restaurant for take away, but they do have three tables inside that can seat from four to six people at each. It’s pretty simple interior with wodden floors and oriental decorative rugs or paintings on the wall. At the main counter they have bottles of wine, beer and light snacks also for sale. The main dining area was clean. In the restroom the trash can was over-flowing and there was no soap in the sink dispenser.

The food options were from veggie, curries, to meat dishes with priced starting at CHF 17.80 and up. I opted for the chicken satay priced at CHF20.80. The owner took my order, asked if/how spicy I would like the dish and I requested very spicy. He then headed to the kitchen to prepare my meal and soon thereafter served my dish. The chicken satay itself was tender, spicy and had a very good taste. The downside to the meal was that the rice was totally over-cooked and dried out.

After finishing my meal and going to the counter to pay, the owner asked if I enjoyed the meal and I informed him as noted above the satay was very good, but the rice was totally over-cooked and dried out. He seemed a bit let down, gave me my change and went back into the kitchen without saying another word, thanking me for my visit or saying good-bye.

I would not recommend or visit again, not just because of a simple thing like the rice being over-cooked but due to, what seemed to me, the owners total lack of interest or response to my remarks when he asked me how I felt about the food I ordered. There are to many other options in the area that are cheaper, have very good food and that seem to care about the product they serve their customers without attitude. Maybe this is why no one else came in for lunch while I dined there!

• Visited February 2014