“Consistently excellent food, great ambiance...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Cedre

Le Cedre
Badenerstrasse 78, Zurich 8004, Switzerland (Langstrasse)
044-2414272
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #297 of 1,382 Restaurants in Zurich
Cuisines: Lebanese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: Langstrasse
Ridgewood, New Jersey
“Consistently excellent food, great ambiance...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

(This review is for the original Restaurant Le Cèdre on Badenerstrasse 78 Badenerstrasse).

In advance of going to this restaurant for the first time I was advised that it was expensive by Zurich standards and that the owner / maître d' was not very friendly.

Eating out on Zürich is rarely cheap, and the prices are typical for Zürich...but the food is consistently good, the ambiance excellent and I have never had an issue with the owner / maître d'. In addition, they have fun (and tasteful) belly dancing "shows" on weekend evenings.

• Visited June 2012

Zurich, Switzerland
“Just love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

I'm from Sao Paulo and there we have a many options for lebanese food, including some sort of fast food chains. I just looooooooove this type of food and since the first time I went to this restaurant, I fell in love with it. They have everything!! And quality is their key factor.
We ALWAYS eat this menu (for 3, 4, 5 or 6 people, I guess) where you receive many small portions of different things. Love the Hummus and the Baba Ganoush. Don't get fooled by the size of those portions. At first they seem a bit small, but in the end they are more than enough.
If you are lucky (or not, depends if you like it) you will find even a belly dancer who performs in the two areas and make sure everyone sees her :)
The price is quite spicy, but totally worth the money.

• Visited April 2012
California
“Best Lebanese food I've found in Europe.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

I love Lebanese food, and I've eaten in Lebanese restaurants all over the world. Le Cedre is amazing -- the best I've found (the "fancy" Noura location in Paris is a very, very close second). It's so good, I have dreams about their food. I'm not joking.

I've been going to Le Cedre for years, because I travel frequently to Zurich. The owner is a charming man who takes your order himself. The food is invariably excellent, no matter what you order.

The meats are delicious -- I don't know what they do, but their grilled meats are always, always incredibly juicy. We had chicken, lamb, and kafta last night. The lamb was incredibly mild -- the best lamb I've ever had. I was dining with someone who ordinarily doesn't like lamb (because it can have a slightly muttony taste), but he gobbled it up. I am pretty sure it's a combination of the chef's know-how in preparation, and the fact that the restaurant truly buys only the best ingredients.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, the baklava (and similar treats) are flown in to the restaurant directly from Beirut. That's pretty amazing (and so is the baklava!). The other days, I believe they source locally.

One of the nice things about Lebanese food is that there really is something for everyone. Vegetarian? No problem -- a wide variety of food is available. Watching your weight or cholesterol? There's a huge choice of lean-but-juicy grilled meats and healthy veggies (salads, etc.) are there for you. Like spice? You can get it -- but you can also easily avoid it if it bothers you.

I'm a fan.

Be sure to reserve, even on nights they are not busy. If you do not like belly-dancing, come early (they open at 6pm). Starting around 7:00 or 7:30, a belly dancer will come down and dance to one or two songs, a few times a night.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great place, Good Food, Generous quantities !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012 via mobile

If you're looking for a place to share excellent food with friends at a reasonable price, this is definitively the right place. Additionnally, if you try the menus (1001 Nights) you will never be able to finish all the food... Great place, will come back !!

Switzerland
“Reservations only - don't drop in”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Le Cedre is a great restaurant, the food never disappoints. We have been several times and have tried to drop in a few times and have always been turned away. This last visit, we had reservations and thankfully arrived a few minutes early because other people that also had 7pm reservations were turned away or asked to return because even with reservations, there weren't tables for them.

• Visited March 2012