“Service personel unfriendly and fried eggs take 30 minutes” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #158 of 1,375 Restaurants in Zurich
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Dessert
Zurich
“Service personel unfriendly and fried eggs take 30 minutes”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Today my wife and I wanted to eat breakfast at Spruengli's as we have done in the past 20 years. The greeting by the waitress was unfriendly and we felt as if we were disturbing her! When we finally ordered, my wife's breakfast came and I had to wait for 15 minutes to get my fried eggs. But these eggs were very well done and in no way resembled normal fried eggs. Therefore I gave them back! After a further 15 minutes, I asked where my breakfast was and was told it was coming. It is amazing that they could not produce 2 fried eggs within 30 minutes!

We then decided to cancel my breakfast and leave after paying my wife's.

Summary: do not go there if you want friendly and courteous service! The food is normally OK but not very innovative as they have been serving the same things (cakes, pastries, etc.) since over 20 years.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Doha, Qatar
“This place is really lovely but the staff are miserable !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I really love this place . Lunch time is the best, the atmosphere is electric full of beautiful people, all sexes This is my 4th visit in Zurich and my trip is not complete unless I go and have something to eat here and take away an assortment of Luxemburgeli. For first time visitors in Switzerland it is a shock to find out that most people who work in the service industry are not very good at providing excellent service . And Spruengli is one of them. It is not cheap even just to have a cappuccino & croissant here . But what they are very good at is their food even to the simplest open sandwich. They look soooo good, you can forgive the rude and miserable waitresses. The retail shop is Wow. And their Luxemburgeli is just the best. This should be in your list .Experience Spruengli and don't bother to give a tip it is expensive enough.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Palos Verdes, CA
“Lunch and Luxemburgeli”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Spruengli is a Zurich landmark. Lovely cafe with outdoor dining and fantastic deserts. Must take a walk through the retail shop sample their incredible sweets and unique Luxemburgeli.

Visited June 2013
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
“Glass shards in coffee!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Amazing - I took a sip of my latte and a piece of glass came into my mouth. I thought it was sugar (which I hadn't even put in) and crunched down on a piece of glass, which broke into two. There was no visible breakage around my glass (I had not put a spoon or anything else into the glass), so it must have come from somewhere else.

This stuff happens at a restaurant. Sprüngli promply brought me another coffee (on the same plate, which still had the glass shards I took out of my mouth) and the waitress apologized. Unfortunately, unlike most other restaurants (or at least those in the States), Sprüngli still charged me for the coffee. I am still in shock at the glass shard being introduced into my mouth and now am outraged for being made to pay for the coffee.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“"My name isnot "hello"!"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

On 5th of august in the afternoon, i greeted a waitress in Spriengli with a "hello" to grasp her attention to receive a reply "my name isnot "hello"! go and find a place yourself" To my surprise I had to clearify that i wanted to ask if they served breakfast and she said "no!" She musthave been the rudest waitress in my life Sorry for Spruengli :(

Visited August 2013