“Good value, well-located hotel in Zurich” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Basilea

You added Hotel Basilea to your Saves list
Hotel Basilea
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Zaehringerstrasse 25, Zurich CH-8001, Switzerland (Old Town)   |
Ranked #90 of 123 Hotels in Zurich
New York City, New York
“Good value, well-located hotel in Zurich”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Basilea for two nights with my family. I was a bit apprehensive after reading some of the reviews and so pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the hotel after a short (5 minute) walk from the train station. The woman at the front desk was quite pleasant and we were able to go immediately to our room even though it was probably around 10:30 in the morning. That was a treat.

Our room was a triple and, while not huge, was certainly large enough for the three of us. The third bed was in a small alcove off the main room. The bathroom was small but clean and adequate for the amount of time we spent there. The breakfast in the morning was delicious. A nice assortment of bread, rolls, croissants, yogurt, fresh fruit and cereal. There was free wifi which seemed to work well for us.

Several reviews placed this hotel in the red-light district. If it was the red-light district it's the nicest one I've ever encountered. In all fairness, we didn't stay out that late so maybe we missed all the action. I believe there was one "adult" store on the street (it was quite discreet) but there were also three used book stores and a public library (as well as the main branch of the Zurich Library at the end of the street) so I would have no hesitation in staying at this hotel with younger children. It was well-located within easy walking distance of the old town, river and lake. There are also a couple of tram lines that ran very near as well as the funicular which was a fun ride to get a skyline view of Zurich.

Overall I thought the Hotel Basilea offered good value for a Zurich hotel and I would recommend it and stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room 412 was on the back side of the hotel. It was probably quieter than those on the street s...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Sivakasi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Being my first trip to Swiss, I found this hotel extremely convenient for business as wel as holiday travellers. Walkable distance to the railway station, tram and the bus stops. Lots of restaurants around and the walk to the river is less than 4mins. I just stayed for a night and the room is small but sufficient for a biz traveller. Breakfast was again sufficient, though not a big spread. And a bowl of Apple kept in the reception for the guests to take was something refreshing and a innovative hospitality.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Ilkley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is very handy for the Niederdorfli and the Bahnhoff. It is close to great restaurants and bars. But you must bring Bio-ears or ear plugs to sleep well here. The rooms at the back of the hotel are shielded from the craziness of the Zaehringerstrasse... traffic and working girls touting for business. We were here during a very wet July week and still it was noisy on the street. However staff were lovely, the bircher muesli was great and breakfast generally good. When I asked about the street the receptionist was kind about it and said ... At least it's not dull! Very true..

• Stayed July 2012
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

This hotel is in a very conveinient location, close to central tram station and easy access to the University. It is clean and functional with a nice breakfast BUT not ideal for a woman travelling alone, or a family with young children, as in a road which is very much 'red-light district'. The room was very small with no cupboards or shelves at all so one must live out of a suitcase which is OK for an overnight stay but not if you are travelleing for business and for longer. It is also very noisy at night in summer as you must open the window for ventilation. Also no kettle in the room. But on the upside free wireless internet.

Room Tip: The higher the better as the street gets noisier as the night gets longer!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Hainesville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

My wife and I just spent three nights at the Basilea during our eight day trip to Switzerland.

The most important thing I look for in any hotel is location. The Basilea is located very close to the Zurich train station in Zurich's old part of town. It is maybe a 5-7 minute walk to the train station. There are a ton of restaurants and shops within walking distance to the hotel. You are also very close to the Grossmunster, Fraumunster, and Peterskirche.

The room we had was small and basic. There were a few hangers to hang clothes up, but there were no drawers or dressers in the room to put your clothes in. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the sheets were clean. The bathroom was also rather small, but it was clean and we were given fresh towels each day.

The staff was nice and helpful. They did have free wireless in the rooms and lobby. They do provide you a unique code to login to the internet and only one person can be logged in at a time. They had no problem giving us an extra code when we asked for one. There is also a computer in the lobby that you can use and print stuff off if needed.

There is breakfast included at the hotel. It had a decent spread and was good enough to start our day. There were cereals, muesli, cheeses, breads, cold cuts, juices, pastries, etc. No hot food.

I did have a couple gripes about the hotel. One, there is no air conditioning in the room. Therefore, you need to keep the windows open at night. Due to the close proximity of all the bars and restaurants, it does get pretty loud at night, especially on the wekends. My biggest gripe of all though was with the shower. The bathroom did not have a bathtub and the shower was pretty small. The shower had a hand held shower head which could be adjusted in height and angle which was fine. However, the screw on the lever that held the shower head was loose and the shower head would not stay in the desired angle unless you rigged it with the shower hose.

Overall though, the Basilea was a nice hotel and served our needs. Although the rooms were small, they were clean and the hotel was in a great location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Location is good, in the old town, near the train station. Staff are unwelcoming, unfriendly except a lady and a young gentlement who smile at least and nice at the time when we checked in and checked out.

The first nite, we asked for a water kettle for our tea and the answer is "no". An older gentlement confirmed they dont have kettle to borrow but he can at least provide some hot water if I go down to the recpetion area. Second nite, a really unfriendly woman told me off saying WE DONT PROVIDE HOT WATER EXCEPT BREAKFAST. The signal she gave me was a sure and unfriendly NO!

I have to say I was very shocked for a hotel charging CHF 260+ compare to what we got. In general, for this room rate the hotel is providing really the basic of the basic. The breakfast is basic, room is ok size, the beddings are so so rough.... amentities are basic, functionally basic like a good youth hostel... may be Zurich is really expesnive and we should not expect more!

Sure not recommend the hotel to anyone, especially ppl thinking of having a sip of tea in the room. I understand some hotels in Europe do not have a kettle but for the price we paid I expect a bit more, or at least a bit more friendly service. Different nationalities have different needs but I bet most Asian tourists would expect at least some hot water to make tea if kettle is not provided.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012 via mobile

Rooms were spacious, clean and the beds comfy.
Breakfast was very basic.
Small shower but convenient, Internet was a bit of an hassle since you constantly had to login but it was free.
I would stay in the hotel again if the price is not more than what I paid this time, otherwise there are better alternatives

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Hotel Basilea? Share your experiences!