“Budget hotel with charm” 5 of 5 stars

Apartmenthouse Goldenes Schwert
Spitalgasse 3, Zurich 8001, Switzerland (Old Town)   |
Ranked #33 of 40 Zurich B&B and Inns
Lucerne, Switzerland
“Budget hotel with charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed at the Goldenes Schwert for one night in October 2012.
The hotel is located right in the heart of one of the gay districts of Zurich.

Standard is decent 3 star, they have EVERYTHING you need to fulfill a 3 star standard and a little bit more even. This is a pure gay hotel/ "Hey we are going out clubbing tonight"-hotel. Families and business people who need 8-10 hours of sleep, this is not your place.

If you like a charming small hotel with personalized service, genuine smiles, gay vibe, breakfast on the bed served by really nice staff and just enjoy the heart of the party life, then this is your place. You will not be able to go to bed before 4 am, if you are not a hard sleeper and can live with some "dunka dunka" from the club next door.

Late check out hours 12pm, which was GREAT! Clean room, bed was comfy and the staff was just great. You guys rules.

Improvements? Yes, Internet connection sucks and I think a WiFi hot spot has to be installed on the 4 or 5 floor. Besides that, no complaints.

You get what you pay for! Pricing is absolutely correct.

12 points goes to Goldenes Schwert!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Etoy, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Horrible experience at the Golden Sword! Arrived after midnight, reception closes at 5, but the 'bartender' from the club came and provided a key! I already found the club guest/couples lusting in front more desperately in need of a room than me.

The overwhelmingly unbearable lobby and corridor smells followed me to the room and made their way into my skin and clothes in minutes. The music was thumping and already promising a night of unrest. But the room was awful, nothing like the internet. Deep blue walls and ceiling, lumpy bed, old stained, stinky wall to wall carpet with a 70's design and a much older bathroom.

But the lingering stale smoke smells and cover up cleaning products, combined with the club noise, made me click my heels and run. Even with the risk of finding no bed at all after midnight.

The oil painting of Gauthier's winking smirk blessing all events was over the top.

They took my money even though I could not use the room, so do be careful and avoid booking altogether unless you are a die-hard clubber.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights on our way to Geneva. Our suite was large and well appointed, Nespresso machine & spa shower were a bonus.
The hotel has a bar and nightclub in it which is good but......Saturday nightclub music can be heard on the room, they do supply ear plugs which does the job. All in all a great place to stay and surrounded by shops, bars & eateries.

• Stayed April 2012
Cannes, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Smack in the Niederdorf, the medieval part of the city of Zurich or just one bridge to cross to reach the Bahnhofstrasse, Europe's most elegant shopping street and business center, this hotel offers a great deal of possibilities, restaurants, nightlife, you name it. From Zurich airport, where trains leave for Zurich main station about every five minutes, you can walk to the hotel in 15 minutes, if you have a wheeled bag or, if you haven't, jump on a nr.4 tram for two stops and you are at home The staff was friendly and competent and the modernized hotel, rather pleasant and clean.I arrived in the middle of the Christmas season and the view from the window was accodingly festive. I have no complaints, the breakfast was in tune with the whole place.

Room Tip: ask for one
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

This place is completely outdated and the music level of the next door club is just terrible.

I am writing this review in the middle of the night as it is just simply impossible to sleep.
Use this hotel perhaps to store your suitcase but do not seriously consider to get decent night rest. I am a frequent traveller and this has been the worst hotel experience in the last ten years maybe.....

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Lido Di Camaiore, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Small but nice hotel in the middle of the old pedestrian area of Zurich. Rooms are simple but confortables, breakfast is served at your scheduled time in your room. Free wireless internet, frigo bar at good prices and satellite tv.
A good choice to visit the old town and a very friendly place to stay for few days.
Prices are quite good for the expensive Zurich!
Great ambience for gay but also really easy life for any kind of men and women.
Just few feets to the tram station.

Room Tip: Rooms starts from 30 at lower quality. Quality up growing the floor. Best rooms at 50s.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011 via mobile

Do not stay at this hotel if you are looking for a good nights sleep and required to get up early - this is the worst hotel experience we have ever had. We were booked at the "sister" hotel the Platzhirsch and when we arrived after a long day of train travel & walking quite a ways with all our luggage because the taxi told us he could not drive into the pedestrian zone (old town) we were told there was a problem with online booking, they were very sorry but we could have an "upgrade" at their sister hotel just 250 meters down the street (a full bathroom in our rowhites the upgrade). What choice did we have? I suppose at this point I should have become the irate American, but we were hot & tired so we submitted. Big mistake! Big Mistake! When we first arrived I saw the room was rather beaten up but clean & decent size with a full bathroom including bidet - then thought oh, what a nice touch, there are mints on the night stand. These my friends were not mints, they were EARPLUGS! I kid you not. Below our room was the street with various bars & cafes. We hoped at night things might settle down, but it never did. It was very warm August day, but we had to close the windows to shut out all the street noise. We went to bed around 10pm (at least we had free Internet & I took advantage of the free bathrobes). After our neighbors next door quieted down we finally fell asleep. At some point we were awakened by some fast pumping techno music which became progressively louder & louder until we felt we were inside the club. We now knew what the earplugs were for. We had been duped.

Even with the windows closed, the earplugs in we could still hear this music! It became so hot in our room from the closed windows we had to open them (not a problem in winter I am sure) - we re-closed them it was unbearably loud with wild partiers just outside our room on the street. The music finally stopped at like 3 am (I think) but the loud partiers outside did not. We could also still hear them with earplugs. We had to rise at 6am & leave hotel by 7am to catch our flight home therefore missing the complementary breakfast served at 7-7:30 at the earliest because they do not have an early self-serve breakfast. Another strike against them. We were clearly bate & switched and I see from the reviews the do this frequently (as I suspected) - so be warned - I will post this on the Hotel Platzhirsch website also - because I read their reviews and it was why I boomed the room - they had good reviews - the angry victims have only posted here as far as I could tell

• Stayed August 2011

Been to Apartmenthouse Goldenes Schwert? Share your experiences!