“Great Location, but one serious drawback” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sorell Hotel Rutli

You added Sorell Hotel Rutli to your Saves list
Sorell Hotel Rutli
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Zahringerstrasse 43, Zurich CH-8001, Switzerland (Old Town)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #45 of 126 Hotels in Zurich
Herndon, Virginia
“Great Location, but one serious drawback”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The reason this hotel got three stars is because of the comments at the end. I wanted to point out the good first, and then maybe the relative stuff last.

Location**: Ideal location in Zurich, next to main train station and old town. Lots of stores and restaurants. I used this as a central hub to see Switzerland. However, if you are going to do it, I would recommend Lucerne. It is modern, beautiful, much cheaper, and a little more central.

Service: The staff was great, all except for the one guy working the front desk, he wasn't that helpful. Wait till the ladies staff the desk, they are great!

Rooms: Larger than a typical European room I think, not too small, not too big. The shower I had was very small though. So small in fact I couldn't wash below my knees! Either way it was easily tolerable and I liked the room. It had a combination safe, free cable TV, hair dryer, soap and shampoo/conditioner. The outlet in the bathroom was set up for US voltages; however, the rest of the room wasn't. Remember, the Europeans don't use a top sheet, bring one if you need it, they just have a fluffy comforter type top sheet. The bed was queen size, and not that comfortable for me. I'm 6'3" and 260, so I missed my gel-top foam mattress.

Noise: If you shut the windows all you can hear are sirens when they go by, and those faintly. During the day it is very noisy if you're facing the front of the building with the windows open where I was.

AC: I don't think you can trust the AC if it is very hot outside. Not sure how hot Zurich gets but you will have to shut the windows for quiet, and the AC doesn't cool that well. I never got mine working right.

Price: I got a deal on Expedia, which was well worth the price of $189 USD I think for being in a modern city close to city center; at least based on my experience. Some people mention getting a deal for $139 USD.

WiFi: I got free WiFi in my room with the Expedia deal, otherwise WiFi is only free in the lobby. The WiFi wasn't super fast but was 99% reliable, which worked for me.

Free Breakfast buffet: The breakfast is a typical German breakfast. Breads, sausages, cheeses, fruit cocktail type of thing, and hardboiled eggs. It is fine, but not the typical American breakfast.

**Location: To me this wasn't that relative, but maybe because I was a single man and walking around the area it was more of a problem. Please do a google search for Zahringerstrasse and prostitution. Prostitution is legal in Zurich. The "end" block of the street, about 4 blocks from the hotel, has about a half dozen prostitutes out every night, at least every night I was there from Friday through the following Wednesday night. There is security on the street to keep things calm, and the girls don't move from that block. However, I "bumped" into them, since I didn't know about it, and it was a little startling to get the stereotypical "hello big boy looking for a good time" movie line coming at me. In fact, one early evening, I was walking one of the adjacent streets, relatively early around 6:00 and one tried to pick me up, but again, I was alone. There are also several cabarets in the same area, but they have on windows and are closed up. You would have to enter to see anything.

Just make sure that if you are heading to the end of the street, away from the trams, you turn right two blocks down just to be safe. The area really is good other than this, which to me was quite the dichotomy of a nice clean area with a lot going on then, wham!, hello girls!

Hope that helps.

Room Tip: Maybe not the greatest in a hot summer, prostitutes 4 blocks away
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
oakville, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We stayed 5 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The location was perfect - the train station was only 5-10 mins. walk and we found the transportation system to be superb. You don't need a car as everywhere is accessible by train, tram, bus or boat. The same ticket covers all modes of transport. Our day trips included Luzern, from where we went by boat to Viztnau and then rode the cog-wheel train up Mount Rigi) , Rapperswil at the opposite end of Lake Zurich, and the Rhine Falls.

Our room was very comfortable (we stayed in a premium king bed room). I kept the air conditioning running all night as a bit of a white noise and didn't hear any sounds from outside. We really appreciated the Nespresso machine. The breakfasts were really good and included tasty breads, cheeses, deli meats, smoked salmon, muesli, etc. The delightful lady who runs the restaurant remembered how we liked our coffees after the first day and brought us our drinks as soon as we sat down.

The desk staff were also very helpful and seemed eager to help in any way they could.

Vely good value for money, for Zurich. Would definitely stay again if we're ever lucky enough to return.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

walking distance to Zurich HB as well the tourist excursion point; calm and clean; Perfect location to explore the city for anyone who has 2 or 3 days. Reception was very good and responded well to all my queries which helped me plan nicely

Room Tip: Does not have any lake view but room was cosy and nice and no noise.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Budapest, Hungary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Very good location, when arriving to see the city or do business for just a 2-3days.
Close to the Main Train Station (also recommended to take a train if coming by plain + trips in Zurich proximity / Switzerland), in the historical city, sites around and lots of bars & restaurants. get prepared for good level of street noise, but the Swiss are generally moderate also to party. :)
Really friendly staff, English OK, even for the nightshift. Internet (wifi) available, speed is scrap… Breakfast was nice.
Rooms… well… they are different I should say. Price / value by Zurich standards. In other countries it would be robbery.

Room Tip: take rooms away from elevators
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Team Rütli S, Réception at Sorell Hotel Rutli, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking your precious time to rating our hotel and write a feedback. Thank you for sharing with us your impressions and opinions, it's very important to us to know our guests view.
Your feedback helps us to improve our service. Merci!

We hope to welcoming you again on your next Zurich trip.

With all our best regards
Martina Kindschi and the hotel Rütli team
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2015

Very close to the station- just around the corner if you go out of the right exit. Very clean and modern rooms (think feature walls, dark wood floors etc). Service at the desk was friendly and efficient. We paid 130£ for 2 people plus breakfast which is very good as we had looked at other places in Zurich and this was one of the cheapest.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking your precious time to value our hotel. It's important to us to hear the impressions and opinions from our guests side. So thank you for sharing this with us. We are looking forward to welcoming you again in our hotel and we wish you happy eastern!

With all our best regards from Zurich
Martina Kindschi and the hotel Rütli team
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2015

I had a perfect stay (1 night) at the Sorell Rürli hotel, without any complain & at a reasonable price (about CHF 110).
Rütli is not only the mountain meadow, where according to legend Switzerland was founded by oath, but also the name of a medium size ***Hotel in the core of "Little Big City".
pro:
- price,
- super central, nevertheless quiet,
- free Nespresso coffee in room,
- delicious & rich breakfast buffet,
... and not to forget the rubber duck, welcoming me in the bathroom
con: honestly nothing to mention!

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Team Rütli S, Réception at Sorell Hotel Rutli, responded to this review, March 25, 2015
Dear Guest

We thank you very much for have taken your precious time to give us this comment. It makes us glad to hear that you appreciated our service and facilities. And also for writing this nice report about that Rütli is not only the mountain meadow. :) Very nice said.

We send you the best wishes and regards from Zurich and hope to welcoming you again on your next trip

Martina Kindschi and the Hotel Rütli trip
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2015

Good: very clean, nice continental breakfast, well situated, quiet, comfortable, nespresso machines in each room, bathrooms spacious
Bad: coffee machine in one room did not work, heated towel rail also did not work. We were only here for one night so wasn't a big deal.
As always we enjoy it!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Team Rütli S, Réception at Sorell Hotel Rutli, responded to this review, March 16, 2015
Dear Alan

Many thanks for taking your precious time to give us this nice feedback. It makes us happy to hear that you enjoyed your stays and also appreciates our servci. Thank you for coming always back to us.

We send you the best wishes, regards and looking forward to welcoming you again
Martina Kindschi and the Hotel Rütli Team

Been to Sorell Hotel Rutli? Share your experiences!