“A Taste of Heaven” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 123 hotels in Zurich
Rochester, Minnesota
“A Taste of Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The personal service and view of Lake Zurich was wonderful. Each person on the staff would call me by name. I returned one morning from a walk, and a staff person met me at the door, introduced himself, called me by name, and informed me that my friends would be arriving later than planned.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

No electronic's opening your door with a magnetic card here. You get a key with a 103 year old brass key holder... yeah, 103 year old.

We opted for a double room, city view as lake side would not have given us anything as we were not there long enough to enjoy the view from the lake. Bonus, room 314 is a corner room and guess what? We had a nice view of the lake from the side balcony.

Room is insanely fashioned in the style I can only call "Laura Ashley". Slippers at your bed, fruits and nuts on the table, bottled water waiting...

This hotel is what I consider a Palace, so this place is not cheap. Staff is top notch and ready to do anything to please you. Breakfast is in this huge ballroom style room, everything from American style bacon and eggs to dim sums for our Chinese friends.

Mini bar is simple yet complete to help you relax. Want something more, the bar is out of a Hercule Poirot movie (that's Agatha Christie for those who want to know). You know there's history in these walls. There is an awesome bar upstairs on the sixth floor (yeah, the elevator only goes to 5), with a unique view of the lake and Zurich.

Hotel is walking distance to downtown and shopping area. I recommend you walk as the taxi to come back from Oprah's favorite handbag store was a cool 25 francs... that's 2 km's for 25 francs... not the hotel's fault, just us lazy.

Back to the hotel, bed was a bit on the old side, caving a bit inwards but the bedding was top quality. If you wish your bedding changed every day (and don't care about the environment) simply leaving the card on the bed and they will change the bedding. That's luxury service.

Eden is on the same level as the Beau Rivage in Geneva, the Post Hotel in Zermatt or the Chabichou in Courchevel etc. This is high end and you know you're going to be well treated. A true 5 stars in my book.

Oh I almost forgot, the staircase is truly awesome... enjoy...

Room Tip: Very busy road during the week as people go to work. Mostly stuck in traffic, so city view room are...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I booked a wedding package to surprise my wife after our civil marriage in Zürich. The hotel did a great effort to make us feel comfortable and give us a memorable stay. The client service was friendly and very competent. The room was clean and they prepared some snacks and champagne with a welcome card. The lakeside view on the balcony is very nice and relaxing. Furthermore they included transportation (Jaguar XJ) in their package which really had a fair price comparing to other offers in Zurich. Only little downside might have been the rather small choice at the breakfast buffet but the quality was very good. Thank you Hotel Eden for this great stay! Silvio & Sherlyn

Room Tip: The view from our lakesideview room was splendid
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Helsinki
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This hotel has old world charm and a nice location by the lake and close to the opera. Even it is old hotel it has been maintained very well and has a nice athmosphere. Friendly staff and overall good experience. Nothing to complain but on the otherhand nothing to make me return at the rate of almost CHF 500 (well Zürich is expensive but still).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Basel, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I booked afternoon tea for a client and myself based on the recommendation of a local expat website. The gentleman who took the reservation by phone was lovely and I had high hopes that this would be a delightful respite before a late afternoon of shopping and strolling around Zurich.

I had expected a somewhat bustling tea room with a kind of "ladies who lunch" crowd. Instead, the uncomfortably warm room was empty except for two exceptionally loud and crude Germans who must have assumed that I spoke no German, as they spent the better part of a half hour disparaging the Swiss as arrogant, cheap and rude. How ironic. Sadly, I was seated directly next to this charm-free pair and decided to see if they would leave before my client arrived. Thankfully, they did. Oh, it took 15 minutes before someone came into the bar area to seat me.

Once seated, I explained to the waitress that I was waiting for someone who would be arriving in about 15 minutes. She came back 3 times in the following 10 minutes to ask if I was ready to order, each time I declined and explained that my friend was en route.

When my client arrived, the servers had evaporated and we waited nearly 20 minutes for another server to arrive and take our order. With no air conditioning, the steamy wait felt like an eternity, but fortunately, the tea tray arrived rather quickly. It was stocked with a visually appealing assortment of sweets and finger sandwiches. Sadly, while the finger sandwiches were fine, each of the baked items was either flavorless, starchy, dry or stale - the exception being a mini white-chocolate mousse. No one ever returned to freshen our tea and I had to get up from the table to find someone to give us the check. It was the most abysmal service I could have imagined [particularly for a 5 start hotel] - and I LIVE in Switzerland, so I know to keep my expectations low when it comes to customer service. Now, in fairness, when people did show up, they were very sweet and offered warm smiles - which really means a lot to a customer. It is because of those smiles that I am giving the "average" rating and not something lower.

I had hoped that the Eden au Lac afternoon tea would became a personal oasis on my trips to Zurich. I'm going to have to keep looking.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Avoca Beach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Hotel is a great find,about 10 to 15 minutes from central city but great location right on lake with views back toward central city.the most impressive olde worlde restaurant also with views,staff very friendly,helpfully ,a genuine pleasure to stay here,opposite park and baths,great strolling along Lake edge.Rooms are large,very comfortable with outside balconies to enjoy your surrounds

Room Tip: Choose a lakeside room as Hotel is in 2sections,one facing Lakeland one fronting the road
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lausanne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I liked the place. Ideally situated by the lake, a tiny bit out of the center ( which might put off some people as it's a 15min walk) and right opposite Utoquai Bath, it has that feeling of being taken back half a century... grand and quiet, impeccable service with smily people, and laidback enough not to feel out of place if you aren't a businessman.
The top terrasse is a nice place for a drink weather permitted.
And if you are there in Summer, then a plounge in the lake at Utoquai Bath is a must.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Hotel Eden au Lac? Share your experiences!