“Lovely but small” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 122 Hotels in Zurich
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Lovely but small”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

Had a pleasant stay here in September. The room was on the small side for a queen, but well appointed, new and clean. The staff at the front desk were very helpful, when I asked for an early check in. They offered me breakfast while I waited. The position is great and an easy 10min walk from the train station. Overall a lovely stay, even though room cramped.

Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Turkish first
Mullumbimby, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We spent three nights here before driving to Zermatt for a few days. Located in the old city centre, close to the hauptbanhof and the lake, it's perfectly placed to take in the best of Zurich. Friendly staff and comfortable (smallish) rooms combine with location to make this a very pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I just spent 3 days in Hotel Adler in Zurich. Not my first visit. The staff was very good, as usual and the hotel is pleasant. But the management has become too greedy. I was told on arrival that I could settle the bill in cash in Euro instead of Swiss francs, and therefore. did not bother to change at a bank. On leaving for our flight and checking the bill in Euro I found out that this had increased the bill by 6% (!), which means an outrageous commission for the currency exchange transaction, at least two or three times more than that charged by businesses in Zurich. The difference inflated the bill by about $80. I think they should post a notice at the desk with this information. I don't think I will return to Adler.
M. Dariel

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I stayed at the Hotel Adler in Zurich with my cousin. We had the best room in the house on the top floor. It was a twin room with lots of space, a sitting area and desk and 2 very comfortable beds with lots of natural light. I would have to say that it was the best hotel I stayed in in Europe on this trip. It is in a great location in the old town and just 2 team stops from the main station so easy to reach. The old town of Zurich is so pretty. I will state there again and my cousin who lives near Bern was so Impressed she is going to take her husband for a weekend to Zurich and stay there. 10 out of 10 for location, service and quality and price in a very expensive city.

Room Tip: 4th floor fantastic
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Scottsdale, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We were pleased to be able to check in when we arrived after an over-night flight. The staff were all very friendly.On the street side, we did have some intermittent late-night noise as groups noisily passed by. We had a wonderful typically Swiss dinner in the hotel restaurant "Cutchi", cheese fondue for me, raclette for my spouse, and we shared a salad. Make a reservation or arrive early, as it is popular. Beds were comfortable and the room is well-equipped and Swiss-spotless.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

When booking my room I was undecided since there were cheaper options in Zurich, however from the moment I step into the small lobby I knew I made the right choice. The hotel per ce is small and cosy, full of memories and really charming. My room was single one, even though it was kind of small, it was very well equipped with everything I needed (including several TV channels in many languages). The location is simple fantastic, you cannot ask for more Zurich than this: a cobblestone pedestrian street with all historical buildings, restaurants, cafés and bars. I tried the restaurant twice during my stay and the food was amazingly good and apparently truly Swiss. The staff was more than helpful, they actually made me feel they care about me. Even when I checked in really early they made everything possible to give me a room when I mentioned that the journey to Zurich took me more than 40 hours and that I was exhausted. Would I go back to this hotel in the future? Sure I would.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I booked a queen room 3 months before our visit ( an anniversary stay ) through the hotel website. Confirmation of such was recieved, however when we arrived at hotel and got to our room, it was clearly a single room, laid out just as the website shows for that type and not as the queen room pictures illustrate. The bed was a small size, perhaps a double in a tiny room, just as the pictures on the website show for that type . I went back to the front desk, spoke with Aaron. He insisted our room was a queen as per Zurich standards. He could not do anything for us until our second night. He said he could give us a double.....We were still not going to receive what was booked. We left for a walk.

A heated debate ensued when we went back to the hotel to say we would not be staying because what we recieved was not according to what I booked, yet they insisted on charging us. We had arrived at 6pm and then went searching for options, returning around 8:30pm. We asked to speak to managers, owners etc, none of whom were available according to Aaron. We were told to return the next day to speak with a manager.

We did just that. I spoke with Stefan who was now trying to say we had received a ' king size. room'. This was getting really absurd. He even went to show me the measurement of the bed we had but of course he took me to a single room, the point being to show me that we did not have a single room, so I wasn't going to even dignify this. My trust was waining. So I proceeded to get on their website and show him the queen size room my reservation shows we booked...my reservation in hand too. Then I showed him how from their website the room we received cannot even be booked for 2 persons but as a single only. Now he was saying queens come in all designs..... I again reminded him of the above pictures on the website. And we have travelled all continents so are seasoned in hotel bookings. He then started to draw an analogy of how at McDonalds your food doesn't look like the picture......he certainly showed his stubborn streak and obviously very unreasonable, not willing to admit to their mistake but talking in circles instead. Then he accused me of using the room, checking in at 3pm. I quickly corrected him and said we checked in after 6 as our flight didn't even arrive until 5. Of course we went to see the room, sat in the chair and checked the bathroom as anyone would after a full day of travel. We were questioning the room at this time. His accusations were uncalled for and rude and I recommend he receive some etiquette training in the hospitality industry.

During discussions, I noticed guests who seemed to have been repeat visitors. They were greeted as such. I am wondering if, despite me booking months ago, they had received the rooms being discussed, out of goodwill, and hence having availability for us limited to whatever was left.

I strongly ill advise booking here as if there is anything wrong, there will be no satisfactory outcome for the customer. Check their website pictures. What we received was the room that has a bed surrounded by wall at the head of it and on one side so that you can only enter the bed from 1 side, # 214. I have the pictures! If anyone thinks it is a queen or even funnier, a king, enjoy. I know there are bus tours that use this property too. I hope this practice will be reconsidered in future. The restaurant associated with the hotel is apparently well rated but we just did not have the heart to try it. It is quite clear that any problems that may arise with the hotel will not be taken into consideration by the senseless staff who have no desire to correct or admit to their error. We simply did not receive the room that my reservation contract was for, as per their website.

If they continue with this practice, they need to update their website as it is obviously horribly misleading and leads one astray. Sadly, they wish to charge us in full.

Room Tip: See comment
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Adler? Share your experiences!