“And the service ruined it all.” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #403 of 1,382 Restaurants in Zurich
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: In the center of Zurich, surrounded by Limmat, lake of Zurich and the famous Bahnhofstrasse, you meet in one of the most historical and beautiful new baroque premises of Zurich.The METROPOL restaurant surprises with its daily changing business lunch and seasonal, international highlights for gourmets.The selection of cocktails and international drinks in the METROPOL Bar equally seduces "Connaisseurs" and "Cosmopolitans". Enjoy the most beautiful moments of the day - and meet the Zurich society in our bar.
Zurich, Switzerland
“And the service ruined it all.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Just came back from a lunch at Metropol. There is nothing to say about the setting of the restaurant/cafe in a nice historic building in the center of Zurich. Our lunch however was not really up to our expectations. We had the beetroot-apple soup which sounded very interesting but was nothing very exciting. Nice red colour but the soup could have been more creamy - instead was rather watery. But the taste was good. For a main we chose from the business lunch Spaghetti alla chitarra and fish. While the fish plate was nicely presented and delicious, my pasta dish made me think that the Spaghetti had not been cooked but were reheated. While the pasta was fresh, you could clearly see from the way the pasta was crimped on the plate that it had been warmed up. I called to ask the waitress if the pasta was freshly cooked as I didnt think it was and she just told me "it is cooked every day" and left our table without any further comment. Unacceptable behaviour in my view, the waitress was certainly not preparing the dishes herself and should have gone back into the kitchen with my plate to speak to the cook. I am amazed how such a nice place can afford to work with untrained waiters. Unfortunately this is no exception, so the Swiss are getting more used to it and don't pay attention anymore. Anyway, my partner offered to swap dishes so I ended up eating his fish. We didnt have a lot of time and I'm generally not a fan of making a scene. Hopefully someone reads my review and trains the waiters better.
Other places in the area were fully booked, this one was not. No wonder!

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

• Czech first
Elmley Castle, England
“Very good Beef”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I come upon this restaurant by chance at lunchtime and liked the look of the menu. The place is divided into bar area and restaurant. I went to the restaurant and was efficiently welcomed and was shown to not the best table but then I hadnt made a reservation.
The was plenty of sushi on the menu but I chose the 400gram Wagyu Beef Entrecote from Peru.
This arrived sliced and the rare side of medium and it was excellent and to be recommended. In line with everything in Switzerland the price was expensive but the quality at least was good. Service was good.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

best martinis! try the hazelnut one! great staff and nice patio to sit and people watch! prices are fair for the city, and I will be back!

Visited July 2013
Athens, Greece
“Gourmet , Michelin awarded Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Traveling for business , allways give you the possibility to taste some nice spots.Metropole restaurant in Zurich is one of them. I was invited by a friend of mine for a "quick bite" and I discovered an excellent ambient , busy also ,despite that it was only 17:00 pm. It's dishes were very good ballanced and the wine selection excellent not only from international labels but also local. Luckily , my friend paid the bill :) but i guess that goes for what you pay you get :)

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Ducking the rain, eating lunch.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Not the most welcoming of staff, since it is right in the financial district there were lots of business people in for lunch and since we were dressed down we ended up outside (cafe, wine bar), out of the rain, but outside. Service was slow. Very slow. The food was rich and sumptuous - - not for those watching calories, very good sirloin burger and club sandwich. Not your basic burger or sandwich - - lots of stuff going on. Very expensive lunch, not so friendly or attentive staff.

• Visited August 2012