“Shut down soon?” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #66 of 123 Hotels in Zurich
Curacao
“Shut down soon?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Had one night stay over so I chose this hotel to be close to the airport. The stay was better than last year. I was upgraded to a better room, plus having complimentary breakfast and Wifi as I am Marriott gold member. The lobby was grand, the room I had was spacious and the bathroom was spotlessly clean. Breakfast in the morning was good. Wifi was slow and there was a musty smell in the hallway.
I heard from an employee that the hotel may be closed in the summer. If a discount rate is available, it is a good place to stay while it is still in operation.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor were updated
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I was rather nervous about choosing this hotel after reading the most recent reviews, but received a good price and saw it was listed as a 5 star, so I figured what the heck. It is definitely not a five star (see my review title) due to the poor wi-fi signal in the public areas, the rooms being a bit dated and the fact that there wasn't anything around to walk to. However, I think we got what we paid for. It was clean and conveniently located to the tram stop (BTW, I highly recommend purchasing the Zurich Card to ride all the trams and the ferry). Yes, the restaurants and additional services were extremely expensive, but so is everything and everywhere else in Zurich. The staff were courteous and helpful and the hotel was clean. The hotel suited our wants, beings we were only in Zurich for 2 days to sightsee. BUT, if I were to return for another visit, I would probably choose a hotel closer to the Old Town area.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

The Renaissance at Glattpark is a an example of a worn and threadbare hotel that is in need of a total renovation. I have stayed here before and it wasn't by choice that I ended up here again. The staff also seem to have the weight of the world on their shoulders and have a weary sense of foreboding when you approach them. They have a look on their faces of "oh no ... not another complaint" The room is a decent size but is a throw back to the 1980s and is drab and dreary. One saving grace is the usual good size European bath with loads of hot water and terrific water pressure! There is a kettle in the room to make coffee etc and the internet is fast and easy to use. As a Marriott Gold member I had free WiFi and breakfast. As the lounge is closed I was also given two vouchers for a drink in the bar. The breakfast was good. A wide range of cold cuts plus scrambled eggs, breads, yogurts etc and service was prompt. If you are visiting Zurich on business in the area then try the Novotel. If you are coming to Zurich on vacation find somewhere in the city. There is a tram stop almost outside the hotel and it's about a 30 min ride into the city. Additional hotels are planned for this area of Zurich and the Renaissance will find it difficult to survive without a complete overhaul.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I'm really disappointed in this hotel. The other reviewers have commented on outdated interiors. The "lounge" that my Marriott gold card allows me access to has no food or drink at all.....it's just an empty room. There is no hair conditioner in the room unless you ask for it, the front desk clerk completely ignored me for 10 minutes while she was on the phone (a "please wait a minute" would have been fine), the room service menu has about 3 or 4 dishes on it......this is a complete joke of a hotel that likely only gets bookings because of the Renaissance name. Sorry I ever stayed here.

Room Tip: Avoid the entire hotel.
Aarhus, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

The Renaissance Zurich Hotel in Glattpark is advertised as a five star hotel – but really, it is not.
There is nothing luxurious about a stay at this hotel, and the standard price for a single room of CHF 295 per night excluding breakfast is quite simply ridiculous. The hotel has most of what you need – but much of the interior has not been changed or refurbished since the 1980’s and is quite worn down. Televisions are old tube screens that are at least 15 years old. I would rate this hotel to three stars maximum and the price for a room should be cut to half.
The hotel has a bar and a restaurant; both are okay and not more. Also there is a bistro, which is used for the breakfast buffet in the morning. The price for breakfast is between CHF 21 and CHF 35, which is also on the steep side. The rooms are okay and the bed is comfortable. The location of the hotel is convenient for the airport with only an eight to ten minutes ride by taxi. But that is also the only really good thing about this place.
In summary: The hotel has what you need, but it is quite old, in no way luxurious and not at all worth the price.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Roland U, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear sir or madam

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We will use your feedback in our Management Meetings to ensure a good quality of service for your next visit. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.
Even there were some points which were not to your total satisfaction, we would be more than delighted to welcome you back.
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

As other reviewers have noted, this hotel is badly in need of refurbishment, and the owners should be ashamed of themselves. The staff are well trained, helpful and courteous, although the service in the restaurant is amateurish; they would not last long in a proper restaurant. I ate here both nights I stayed and the food was quite reasonable although a peculiar combination of Asian and Italian. When you walk into the foyer you might think you are in a 5 star hotel, but this feeling is dispelled when you get to your room. The wear and tear is evident everywhere and the TV looks like a relic from c 1985. On the plus side, for Zurich the price is OK and it is convenient for the airport. I don't blame the staff who do their best to create a silk purse from a sows ear. The rooms should have been renovated and reequipped years ago.

Room Tip: Askfor the most recently refurbished, maybe you will get lucky.
Dear Sir

First of all I would like to thank you for your feedback, which is so important for us to ensure our guest satisfaction.
Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. We will defenitely considering your feedback to improve our service.You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future.

We wish you a wonderful time.

Been to Renaissance Zurich Hotel? Share your experiences!