“Zurich Airport Stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 126 Hotels in Zurich
Beaumont, Texas
“Zurich Airport Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night prior to a return to USA at the Zurich Airport.
The positives +++
+Rooms are clean and large (perhaps some of the largest in Zurich)
+Tram access from the airport is quick and convenient
(#10 or #12 is easy and front desk can provide a ticket 4.20CHF/oneway)
+Check in/Check out was efficient.
My information had been retrained from prior stays.
+ Free wi-fi in the lobby
The negatives - - -
- The TV in the room is very old small CRT vs. a 42" flat screen (does any other Renaissance Hotel in the world have these??) and picture quality poor. Remote does not funcition easily.
- The mirrored wall above the sink in room #146 was scratched and terrible shape and really unusable.
- The furnishings/carpet/hallways are very much out of date and old (compare to the Zurich Renaissance Tower Hotel or Zurich Marriott or Zurich Courtyard - but price is about the same???)
- No ice on the floor or ice bucket in the room but I'm sure they would bring one if you asked
- The staff at the bar Next2 were not thet focuesed on guests on this night (different than before) Seem to have fun talking and playing with each other while waiting at the bar for good service.
-Didn't try the full breakfast buffest at 37 CFH although the bacon smelled awesome and was tempting. Just ate something at Starbucks at the airport.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this valuable comment.

The refurbishment of the hotel is an ongoing process and I am glad to say that most of the rooms are already updated, as well with a flat screen TV.

We do not have ice machines on the floors, but our Roomservice is more than happy to bring it up the room free of charge.

I was very concerned about your feedback regarding your experience at the Next2Bar. I already discussed this with our restaurant Manager and trainings were held and are ongoing to make sure that our high standard of Service will be always provided.

Once again thank you very much for your feedback and we are looking forward to welcome you back.

Roland Ulmer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
west covina california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Rooms are fairly large and nicely furnished, including a small refrigerator. The television was a older tube model. I booked this hotel because it was 5 star rated and near the airport as I would be flying out the next day. I guess I'm used to American hotels which provide may complementary items. Here you do have to pay for internet (so you can print boarding passes), breakfast (some $35 for buffet) and the airport shuttle (reasonable $20). The lobby areas were very nice, the staff helpful and all spoke english. The hotel location is in a corporate area so even on a short walk there is not much to see except other modern buildings. There is quite a building boom across the street with many cranes and many buildings going up. I was there Sunday evening so it was quiet but don't know about the daytime during the week. One plus, the light rail runs a block away and easily takes you about town or even to the airport. I believe the hotel said $8 dollars would give you a full day pass for the local area, but if you want to go further the cost goes up. Hotel is fine for an evenings rest before flying out.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

The refurbishment of the hotel is an ongoing process and I am glad to say that most of the rooms are already updated, as well with a flat screen tv.

We are aware how important and necessary it to be connected to world via Internet these days. Therefore we do offer free WiFi in the lobby and we provide to print out boarding passes without any charges. For the High Speed Internet in the rooms a charge will apply.

I am happy to guarantee, that the constructions across the street are not audible in the hotel.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stay here as it's close to the office. Rooms are big, clean and have what you would expect, but nothing else. A minor point, but the extras are very limited (no combs, toothpaste, shaving foam / razor, ear buds, stationery etc....) which can be irritating if you had to travel with hand luggage.

Restaurant is good, if unimaginative and expensive.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your stay and for your valuable feedback.

I am glad to hear the room was to your full satisfaction. I am sorry to hear about the challenge with the amenities. Certainly as hotel of our category, we do provide extras like combs, vanity kits, shaving kits etc. To keep the image of the bathroom clean and chic, without an overload of bathroom items, you may not need, we bring it up on request.

The prices at the Restaurant are reflection the local area, which unfortunately has a high level.

Once again I would like to thank you for your stay and your comment and I hope to welcome you back.

Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Rooms r very wide ,all the facilities r there .breakfast is superb,i think one of best b/f ever ate.location was not central.but overall hotel has modren facilities.worth the cast we paid,one of best hotel in schengen states.LOVLY.wifi should be in room also.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear guests,

Thank you very much for choosing the Renaissance Zurich Hotel for your stay and for your fabulous comment.

I am glad to hear you had a fantastic time with us and I am happy to forward your feedback to my team.

I am looking forward to welcome you back.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We had a really pleasant stay in this hotel.
In addition to getting a really good deal on a three-night weekend stay, we were pleasantly surprised when we checked in to find out that the friendly employee at the front desk told us she upgraded us to a junior suite at no cost. That was a really good start!
The room was big; bigger than we obviously expected, as we were upgraded (three separated rooms: a large living room, a large bedroom, and a bathroom).
Everything was clean.
The bed mattress, pillows, and beddings were very comfortable.

One of the mornings we decided to check out their breakfast buffet. We took a quick look at the selection and decided it was not worth the exorbitant price tag. The food looked good, but the selection was limited and there was no live station. Instead we decided to order room service, and weren't disappointed. We ordered two type of Eggs Benedict; their Swiss Special and a normal one, and the Toblerone pancakes. The order arrived on time, and even though one of the plates containing the poached eggs were too cooked, they replaced the dish in a gist with an apology and without any problem. They even called later on to make sure that all the other dishes were good.

The location is convenient as there are tram stops right outside the hotel. The tram will bring you to the airport in about 10-15 minutes, and to downtown and the lake in 20-25 minutes.
The view from the hotel is not great at all though.
Don’t forget to ask for a room that doesn’t face the rail tracks as it is located right along them. We were fortunate to have a room facing the other side, so we couldn’t hear the trains at all.

The internet access is a rip-off, as they charge you around CHF 30.00 for it. You only have free wi-fi access in the lobby, which is nice and comfortable, but still, the least they could do for the price you pay per night is include free wi-fi in your room.

Room Tip: Don’t forget to ask for a room that doesn’t face the rail tracks.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guests,

First of all I would like to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to give a very detailed and valuable feedback.

I am glad to hear you had a pleasant stay and the room and the service we provide was to your full satisfaction.

Due to the structure of the restaurant, we do not have a visible live cooking station, but our Breakfast chef would be delighted to cook a vary of hot Breakfast dishes a la minute for you, which are included in the price.
I am happy to take your comment about the Breakfast items on the buffet in consideration and will discuss it with my Management Team.

Once again I would like to thank you for your comments, which helps us to improve our services.

I am looking forward to welcome you back.

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed here for one night. Conveniently located 10minutes away from airport by tram, getting to the hotel couldn't be easier. Another 20mins or so and you are in Zurich central station (Zurich HB).

Hotels has a nice lobby, with lots of space. Sitting area and direct access to bars and restaurants.

Reception service was excellent. Facilities are not the most modern but definitely of good enough standards.

Did not use the gym, which I normally like to comment on. Food on the restaurant was excellent, although service a bit slow.

Room was of good size with all the required facilities. Clean and quiet.

Overall, a great 4* hotel and value for money on the summer discounted rate. Normal rate, not so sure.

Room Tip: High floors.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your stay and your kind comment.

I am glad your time at the Renaissance Zurich Hotel was to your satisfaction.

I hope to welcome you back.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Renaissance - Marriott, Zurich

Supposedly a five star hotel, I am not sure on whose scale. It was really easy to get to in the tram and the reception area is beautiful. On checking in, I mentioned that it was my husbands 40th birthday and the very nice, helpful receptionist said she would note this and arrange something. We got in to the room, the bedside lamp had a dodgy switch. The kettle wouldn't boil and the safe locked up and wouldn't open. I called guest services who sent up a technician who gave us a new kettle and repaired the safe- the battery had died. We discovered the following night that the air conditioning wasn't working, it only cools and coming from Australia, we needed heat. It was late so we didn't report it. I also discussed with the same receptionist to arrange a quiet place for a Skype job interview in the middle of the night, she said she would leave a note for the night staff and open a meeting room for me. I headed down to reception at 3.00 am in the morning to undertake the interview, the receptionist said he didnt know anything about it, but said i could sit in the restaurant! I can't say the cleaning was up to much, we found toe nail clippings (definitely not ours) and half dead bugs. Finally our last evening, my husbands birthday, we came in from the most amazing day trip Jungfraujoch to no birthday cake, chocolate or anything. I called guest services who said tat there had been no information noted and they would look into it. Ten minutes later room service arrived with a fruit platter, a small bag of chocolates and a compliments slip saying happy birthday. We also had someone try and deliver us mineral water which we hadn't ordered and an 8.30 am wake up call that was not requested. On checkout they tried to charge us for room service that we never ordered. Checking us out was the lovely receptionist who checked us in. I explained the issues and she apologised for the lack of communication. I have stayed in 3 star hotels and had better rooms, service and cleanliness. As for the Internet, don't get me started. It is 29 euros per day or 60 minutes free in the lobby. These European countries that don't offer free Internet have a lot to learn from Asia and the USA.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance Zurich Hotel? Share your experiences!