“Inconsistent commercial policy, too bad, the hotel is not without qualities” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Zurich Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added Renaissance Zurich Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Zurich Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Thurgauerstrasse 101, Zurich 8152, Switzerland   |
Ranked #76 of 131 Hotels in Zurich
Geneva, Switzerland
“Inconsistent commercial policy, too bad, the hotel is not without qualities”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

In 2013, almost everyone needs access to internet when you are travelling. Wifi in hotel is no more than a commodity. But this hotel is charging you more for 24 hours than a good dinner. Similarly, breakfast is awfully expensive. Of course you can have breakfast elsewhere and you can use wifi for free in the lobby and that's my point. This kind of commercial policy is more making you upset than really useful.

The staff was great though, the lobby is really nice, the restaurant was OK but not fantastic. Public transport is close, so is the airport. But the close neighborhood is not exactly pleasant - the hotel is very close to the train line and to a car re seller.

The room was very standard for this price (not cheap), which means it was clean, functional, and the bed was great. They told me I was upgraded to a junior suite as it was my first visit. Nice but quite useless for me, I would prefer from far no upgrade but not being (over)charged for Wifi. I could hear the train from my room too.

So as a conclusion, an hotel close to the airport, but not with defaults not acceptable for this kind of somewhat expensive hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid being too close from the train!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your stay and your valuable feedback.

I am glad our Ambassadors delighted your stay with us and I am happy to forward your compliments to them.

The prices for the High Speed Internet and the Full American Breakfast are reflecting the level of the local area. Of course we offer alternatives with free WiFi in the Lobby and several Breakfast options with different prices.

Once again I would like to thank you for your comment, which is important for me and my team.

Roland Ulmer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
New Providence, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very nice. My only complaint is the airport shuttle. Marriott's web site says airport shuttle. In the U.S. this almost always means free shuttle. Not here. They charged me 21 Swiss Francs for a 5 minute ride. The hotel does not own the shuttle. It is a service. For two or more a taxi is cheaper.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your stay and for your valuable feedback.

I am concerned about the misunderstanding regarding the Shuttle Service and our Sales and Marketing will check on it.

Beside the shuttle there is as well the option to go to the airport very convenient by public transportation. The tram stop is directly in front of the hotel and will bring you in 9 minutes directly to the Airport’s main entrance. I do understand, that it is not very convenient, if you have a lot of luggage to carry. In this case the Shuttle is an alternative as well as the taxi. The taxi to the airport costs about 30.00 CHF.

I hope I and my team can welcome you back.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This hotel is absolutely beautiful and the rooms are nicely updated with comfy beds. The staff is very friendly and speak English which is helpful. They do go out of their way to be of service. The restaurants and bars offer great food and drink at a reasonable price. Be kind to the bar staff here, the work really hard to please and are great people. I really enjoyed my stay here and I will be back.

Room Tip: There is no pool on the premises but a very nice public pool is located very close by. Just a short...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to take this opportunity ro thank you for choosing the Renaissance Zurich Hotel for your stay.

I am glad you had an enjoyable time with us and I am happy to forward your superb feedback to my team, especially to the Next2Bar.

I hope we can can welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My job requires that I spend around 200 nights in hotels a year, and I have learnt that you cannot expect anything for granted from a 5 star hotel to a bed and breakfast.

Over the course of the last 3 years I have stayed here about 100 nights, and thought it was time to ‘put something back’ on Trip Advisor, instead of always taking advice.

Quite simply this hotel never fails to impress me from check-in to check-out. The staff at any hotel are the forward facing point of contact, and at this hotel make it stand out from the rest – they are the best in the world! I stay in everything from JW’s through to Holiday Inns. Nothing is ever too much hassle for The Renaissance Zurich staff and they always make you feel at home (perhaps this sounds bizarre, but when you are spending so much time away, it makes all the difference when someone knows your face and actually makes you feel welcome). Sure the rooms are a little dated, but everything works, they are super clean and the beds always give a perfect night’s sleep.

The location is perfect for both the airport and the town. I see that some of the reviews on here criticise this, but a little fact finding and you can easily be in town in 30 minutes by the tram right outside the hotel, or quicker by taxi, and the airport in 10 minutes – it couldn’t really be better located for business.

The restaurants have great choice, the bar is superb, the club lounge perfect, there is nothing to fault. There are many restaurants within a short walk of the hotel, if the choice internally is not for you, and the staff are always more than happy to direct you.

Highly recommended for business or pleasure – no hesitation, no faults, perfect!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your amazing loyalty and your fantastic feedback.

I am very glad you always enjoy your time with us and I am more than happy to forward your fabulous comment to my teams.

Once again I would like to thank you and I and my team are hoping to welcome you back soon.

Marlborough, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

a little bit pricey, but you know it is in Zurich... it's expensive everywhere...Room is okay and restaurants are good as well. Location is acceptable, about 30 minutes to downtown by tram. As a chain hotel, you always know what you can expect.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your stay and for your kind comment.

The location of the hotel is perfect if you want a short way to the Airport, but still the possibility to the discover the city. You need 9 minutes by public transportation to the Airport and 25 minutes to reach the city center.

Once again thank you very much for your valuable feedback and I and my team are looking forward to welcome you back.

Pennsburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed in this hotel after a long trek across Europe. We stayed here awaiting a flight home the next day. The staff was great and very helpful. We stayed on the business class floor which was wonderful. There were drinks, snacks, computer, and a conference room at our disposal. The room was spacious and modern. Breakfast (which was included in our room rate) was fabulous! The location, albeit close to the airport (only a couple stops away on the train and dropped you right at the front doors of the airport), was not great for sightseeing. It was pretty far outside the city. The train stop was right across the street and easy to figure out the route system, but you could not walk to anything except a couple meager restaurants. The restaurant inside the hotel seemed rather pricey but everything in Switzerland tends to run on the expensive side! This hotel worked great for us since we were staying the night then leaving for the airport in the morning. The hotel was very much like hotels in the USA so we felt it to be a nice transition to head back to the states (they had many American television stations available on the satellite service that they used).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comment and your stay at the Renaissance Zurich Hotel.

The hotel counts to the Airport hotels, because with public transportation it is only 9 minutes away. Fortunately we are really good connected with several tram lines. This gives our guest the opportunity to reach the downtown area easily within 23 minutes.

Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback and I am glad to share it with my team.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

The Staff of the hotel were quite friendly. The food was average. The room was excellent. It was cold outside however the rooms were warm amd cozy. The bathroom was very clean. The bath area and bathroom are separte which i was not too found of. However the room was excellent.

Room Tip: Try to book rooms away from the elevators
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the Renaissance Hotel for your stay in Zurich and for your kind comment.

I am glad to forward your feedback to my teams.

We are hoping to welcome you back soon,

Roland Ulmer

Been to Renaissance Zurich Hotel? Share your experiences!