“Not quite a 5* hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 126 Hotels in Zurich
Bruchsal, Germany
“Not quite a 5* hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Although the hotel is a 20 minute tram ride from the city centre I think for the price it is worth the journey (and it is in the "inner-zone" so a 24 hour ZVV ticket doesn't break the bank).
We were upgraded to a suite for the night, however the decor was old in style and I believe this hotel is having a refit in 2014 (definitely in need of it)
As you'd expect with a Marriott hotel, the bed is large and comfy and you get more than an average amount of little extras (bath salts, mouthwash, slippers, tea/coffee).
The reception area is nice and the staff very friendly. I was a little disappointed with the american breakfast. Only scrambled eggs, baked beans were on the hotplate too long so very dry and bread rolls choice limited. Their maple syrup was to die for though and there was an excellent selection of juice too.
Would I stay here again? Maybe, but I would look to see if I could get a room closer to the centre in a 4* hotel first.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your stay and your kind comment.

I am sorry to hear, that not everything was fully satisfactory for you.

The renovation is an ongoing process and a lot of rooms are already updated.

The hotel is located between the airport and the downtown area. The tram, which stops directly in front of the hotel, will bring you in 9 minutes to the airport and in 25 minutes to the city center. For your convenience we offer tickets for sale at the reception.

I am concerned about your breakfast experience. Please be aware that we usually replace cooked breakfast items regularly to avoid to offer dry food to our guests. I forwarded your comment to the Restaurant Manager, who is going to make sure it will not happen again.

Once again I would like to thank you for taking your time to give us this valuable feedback, which assist us to improve our service.

I and my team are hopping to welcome you back soon.

Roland Ulmer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Tehran
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was a nice hotel, but very far from city center. However the tram stop is just across the street. Our room was a nice & big one. But had a not so exciting view. My only complaint would be the train noises. the railways are at the back of the hotel and our room was facing the railways despite our request to be located on the other side.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the Railway would be quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the Renaissance Zurich Hotel for your stay and for valuable feedback.

As you already mentioned, the hotel is not located in the city center. It is between the airport and the downtown area. Fortunately, the public transportation situation is very convenient. The trams are stopping directly in front of the hotel and will bring you to the airport in only 9 minutes and to the city center in 25 minutes.
We do have rooms which are away from the train side and assure that they are very quiet.

Once again I would like to thank you for taking your time to give us feedback and I hope I and my team can welcome you back soon.

Tabanac, Aquitaine, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Another overnighter in Zurich for a keynote and a different Renaissance (Towers last week) and pleasantly surprised again. Well equipped and large comfortable room and bed with 6 pillows, including 3 feather ones ... Bliss.
On club floor with good amenities, drinks,nibbles.
Only 10 minutes from airport so perfect for early morning flights.
Staff helpful and well trained a la Swiss hotel tradition.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your stay and your superb comment.

I am glad to hear you had a fabulous experience and an enjoyable time.

I am happy to forward your feedback to my team and looking forward to welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

This was on a business trip, and the Renaissance was a stone's throw away from the office so seemed like an obvious choice.

Lot's of smiley faces and kind service at reception on check in. The staff are really good here.

This is like any other 5 star place you would visit - all the common areas are as you would expect and all amenities are available.

The room itself was okay but a little dated. The carpet was horrific and reminded me of the 80's/90's. The furniture was dated and well used. However, nothing was out of place and everything worked. No flat screen TV - I haven't seen one of those bulky jobbies for a while. The bathroom was good. The bed was okay, but seemed a little old.

The bar was excellent. The barman took care of things in the efficient Swiss manner, and made some excellent Old Fashioned cocktails. Elsewhere, the friendly, attentive service was evident.

I was exhausted, so opted for room service dinner. It was rather good, and I was even phoned and asked if everything was to my liking.

My room backed onto a railway line, but trains were infrequent and passed quickly and quietly.

It's not a bad place at all, the staff really make up for the rooms being a little dated. It won't disappoint.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and your kind comment.

I am glad my team provided you a fabulous stay and I am happy to forward your feedback.

Me and my team are aware, that the rooms are partly dated. The renovation is in progress. A lot of rooms are already updated, with flat screen TV’s and a soft renovation.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Brussels
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Here on business for the week, these are my observations:
- big hotel, great reception lobby area
- food is good but not extraordinary, limited choice in room service, but 3 restaurants
- rooms are large, with desk area offering adaptor facility which is great, as well as a dressing room, bathrooms are pretty small. No complimentary water in the rooms which for that level is appalling. Mini bar only contains one bottle of 75cl still water at this astronomical price of 6CHF, ie 4.94€. No slipper or bathrobes which I found in lower ranked hotels like the Swisshotel in Oerlikon. Might seem a detail but when you pay 245CHF the night you do expect the level of service that comes at the price.
- at my arrival, 5.30pm in the afternoon, no room ready, I was asked to wait for 30' which I declined. They found me a room but it wasn't an upgrade, rather a downgrade. I had asked and repeated t reception I would ride a quiet room, far from elevator and stairs and the room they gave was right next to the elevator...
- wifi connection free and quick
- room service team fast, very helpful and friendly
- maintenance and cleaning staff are also very helpful and friendly
- catering staff for the meeting however was rude, one lady telling one of my colleague that she was doing something else so he had to wait for someone to come. Although that might be true, there's a way of saying things...

All in all, good and bad points but I would not recommend it because its very uneven and you should get more for the price you're paying for such a level of hotel.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Madam,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us a really detailed and constructive feedback.

As my Manager on Duty already informed me about your talk with each other, I am glad to inform you that we figured out the challenges, which showed up at Check In and at the conference.

She ascertained, that your preferences are linked to you Profile, which give us always the opportunity to reserve and prepare the room for your convenience.

Once again I would like to thank you for your valuable comment and your stay.

I and my team are hoping to welcome you back soon.

Curacao
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The hotel is grim looking from the outside, its lobby is dark but the room is decent with firm bed, down pillows and comforter, and decent bathroom. No complimentary wifi. Breakfast was not included in my rate. I dont consider this is an airport hotel because It is not in walking distance to the airport, plus there is no airport shuttle bus offered. I reached it by catching a tram outside the airport after buying a ticket at the SBB counter. Exit the tram when you can see the hotel behind a car dealership.
It's an industrial area so not much shopping or food nearby.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback.

The light concept of the lobby is changing with the set ups. To make the lobby more inviting and fitting to the time of the day, you have books, games, bright light and silent music at the day time. In the evening it is changing to a Lounge with candles, dimmed light and louder music.

Very soon we do offer free WIFI in the lobby.

I agree that the hotel is not situated at the airport areal. It is 5 minutes from the airport and 15 minutes from the city center away. As it is closer to the airport than to the downtown area, it belongs to the airport hotels of Zurich.
As you already mentioned, there is the possibility to use the tram to the hotel, which is quiet convenient. The necessary stops are directly in front of the main entrance of the airport and in front of the hotel. If a Shuttle is preferred, there is the option to use the Shuttle bus of Check In Always, which is situated between both Terminals.

Once again I would like to thank you for you constructive feedback.

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Nice comfortable place and close to the airport. Courteous staff. Good & comfortable size rooms. A good simple buffet breakfast was included. The hotel has a nice gymnasium. Nothing fancy but not wanting for any comfort, though steam bath and sauna facilities would be a welcome addition.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for you kind feedback.

I am glad you had an enjoyable stay with us and I am happy to forward your comment to my team.

I and my team are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Roland Ulmer

Been to Renaissance Zurich Hotel? Share your experiences!