“Not an airport hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #66 of 123 Hotels in Zurich
Curacao
“Not an airport hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The hotel is grim looking from the outside, its lobby is dark but the room is decent with firm bed, down pillows and comforter, and decent bathroom. No complimentary wifi. Breakfast was not included in my rate. I dont consider this is an airport hotel because It is not in walking distance to the airport, plus there is no airport shuttle bus offered. I reached it by catching a tram outside the airport after buying a ticket at the SBB counter. Exit the tram when you can see the hotel behind a car dealership.
It's an industrial area so not much shopping or food nearby.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback.

The light concept of the lobby is changing with the set ups. To make the lobby more inviting and fitting to the time of the day, you have books, games, bright light and silent music at the day time. In the evening it is changing to a Lounge with candles, dimmed light and louder music.

Very soon we do offer free WIFI in the lobby.

I agree that the hotel is not situated at the airport areal. It is 5 minutes from the airport and 15 minutes from the city center away. As it is closer to the airport than to the downtown area, it belongs to the airport hotels of Zurich.
As you already mentioned, there is the possibility to use the tram to the hotel, which is quiet convenient. The necessary stops are directly in front of the main entrance of the airport and in front of the hotel. If a Shuttle is preferred, there is the option to use the Shuttle bus of Check In Always, which is situated between both Terminals.

Once again I would like to thank you for you constructive feedback.

Roland Ulmer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Nice comfortable place and close to the airport. Courteous staff. Good & comfortable size rooms. A good simple buffet breakfast was included. The hotel has a nice gymnasium. Nothing fancy but not wanting for any comfort, though steam bath and sauna facilities would be a welcome addition.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for you kind feedback.

I am glad you had an enjoyable stay with us and I am happy to forward your comment to my team.

I and my team are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Riga
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

10 min by tram from airport and 15 -20 from center, but it located in the middle of business park so there is nothing around apart of 2 restaurants and small shop. As all hotels in Zurich it is expensive so not expect good value for money.
Lobby of the hotel is very nice with pool and fish. Business lounge is very small so Marriott members will be disappointed, breakfast you eating literally on your laps.
Staff is all very junior looks like trainee and not providing you full information unless you asking questions. Housekeeping is full separate story, they start screaming on the floor banging in the doors at 7.00 in the morning and even at your check out date enter your room if you do not respond. But rooms are clean but not very convenient, wardrobe is very small with no shelves, but you hoffe teacattle and selection of tea (no green tea though) Bar is good restaurant as well but again expensive. Good equipment in a gym and it is large but in a basement, considering it is high hotel would be better to have it with nice view.

Room Tip: stay only if you have business in that area. There are much nicer hotels in zurich
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your stay and for your valuable feedback.

I am sad to hear not everything was fully satisfactory for you.
If it happens that the Club Lounge is fully occupied, there is as well the possibility to have the Breakfast in our comfortable Brasserie.
Certainly we have trainees from Swiss hotel colleges to get known the practical side, but not as a majority. They are working always with a senior ambassador in a shift. I am sorry to hear that you had to ask for further information. This is not our standard. We always try to anticipated the needs our guests.
As well I am concerned that the noises in the morning woke you up. I forwarded your comment to our Housekeeping Manager, which took care that this will not happen again.
Our prices, as you already mentioned, are reflecting the local area.

Once again I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback, which I highly appreciate to improve our Service.

I hope me and my team can welcome you back and to show you, that our regular standard is much higher than you have experienced.

Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My family had a fantastic time staying in this hotel. If you are departing from Zurich, and want to stay at a hotel that is close to the airport, yet convenient to get to the city, this is the one. The tram stop is right outside the hotel.

The staff is super friendly and helpful. After checkin, we found out that with the extra bed, the room was too tight. When we brought this to the front desk's attention, we were quickly shifted to a much larger room, which was probably a free upgrade. We were also provided very detailed information about the hotel, trains, tourist spots, etc.

The breakfast was inclusive in my booking, which was a very good deal I suppose, given that it was around 27CHF per person. The quality and range of breakfast items was excellent, including the beautiful colored eggs on the Easter Day. The waiting staff went out of the way to take care of any requests and also brought the delicious smoothie for us without asking, just so that we could sample it. I highly recommend this hotel, and will stay here again in future if I visit Zurich.

Room Tip: Ask for a room visiting the front side. Book with breakfast inclusive, especially if traveling with...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your stay and your superb comment.

I am glad to hear that you and your family hand an enjoyable time at the Renaissance Zurich Hotel.

I am happy to forward your kind feedback to my team and we are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Very nice hotel. Great food. Excellent Customer Service. Close to airport, but far enough to enjoy the town. Centrally located to many restuarants. It's not too far from iL Gallo Pizzeria Ristorante. This was also reasonably priced.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to take this possibility to thank you for choosing the Renaissance Zurich Hotel for your stay.

I am glad to hear you had a marvellous experience and an excellent time with us.

I and my team are looking forward to welcome you back.

Ringwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

It's so nice to be pleasantly surprised by a hotel. The level of service, quality of the Asian restaurant, the ambience of the bar area and the excellent array of breakfast were what you expect from a more leisure based, luxury hotel. Thoroughly recommend but search the comparison sites to get the best rate as they do offer good discounts at times.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your stay and your superb feedback.

I am happy to hear that you had a fabulous experience with us.

I am glad to forward your comment to my team, especially to the Restaurant Ambassadors.

We all are looking forward to welcome you back.

Lausanne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We had booked a room at chf 355 and were given one showing to the very busy railway. Breakfast was not even included! We also learned that the Hotel might beclosed by e nd of this year. So, probably they don't really care anymore and make cah-cowing. Its really a pity how some comnies in this service industry behave. Make more money mentality doesn't fit hospitality.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for staying with us. I am really sorry and do apologize for the inconveniences you have faced.

Due to the situation of the hotel, there is one side facing the railway. We noticed your preference, that you do not like the rooms at this location and will avoid it in the future.

The prices are reflecting the local area. There is a portfolio of different rates, which gives you even the option to have breakfast included.

I am concerned to hear the rumour that the hotel will close by the end of this year. This is not true. The hotel will not close.

All in all I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback and I hope me and my team are able to welcome you back to show you that our passion is to provide our guests a fabulous experience and an enjoyable time.

Kindest regards,

Been to Renaissance Zurich Hotel? Share your experiences!