“Beautiful hotel near the airport” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #67 of 123 hotels in Zurich
Ottawa, Canada
“Beautiful hotel near the airport”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed at the Renaissance Zurich in February for 3 nights. The hotel lobby is very nice, rooms are very comfortable.
They have a great gym.
We arrived on Valentine's day. We were treated with 2 heart shaped chocolates from Lindt.
The restaurants are really good but the breakfast was a little bit pricey. 74 CHF for 2 people! We had a wonderful waitress called Susanne who made us feel like royalty.
There are 2 trams that connect the hotel with downtown Zurich and 1 of them goes to the airport. Also, the tram takes you to Zurich Oerlikon train station where you can take the train to go to other cities in Switzerland.
They had a promotion stay 3 nights pay for 2, which made it a great deal.
I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your stay and your really nice feedback.

I am glad you had a terrific time with us. I am happy to forward your superb comment to my team and especially to Susanne.

We are all looking forward to welcome you back.

Roland Ulmer

405 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This hotel has great decoration. Room is big and comfortable. It also has one of the best gym in any hotel. The sitting area in the lobby and the restaurants in the hotel are all well above average.

The location is a bit strange. It is tucked away behind a car deanship. It took me a while to find the place. The hotel is not far from tram stations. You can take a tram here and be in Zurich city center in less than 30 minutes. This makes it a very good alternative to staying in those expensive hotels inside the city.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying at the Renaissance Zurich Hotel and your superb review.

I am glad to hear you had an enjoyable experience and I am happy to forward your comment to my team.

We are looking forward to welcome you back.

Roland Ulmer
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel while visiting Zurich in January. I was worried about the location outside of the downtown city area, however the first night there we hopped on the tram and rode in to the city with no troubles at all. The hotel itself is a very nice property - the restaurants were wonderful and the club lounge was great. We were much happier here then I had originally thought we would be.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you very much for choosing the Renaissance Hotel for your stay and your nice comment.

I am glad you had a good time with us and I am happy to forward your feedback to my team.

I am looking forward to welcome you back.

Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The Renaissance Hotel is part of the Marriott Group and therefore its standard is definitely high. The common areas are posh, the rooms large and the service qualified. The breakfast buffet is worth a try - you can find everything you wish. The location is convenient if you need to stay close to the airport or if you are on a business trip since the block is close to an office area. The only drawback is its proximity to the rails and if your room is close to the railway you may hear some noise.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind feedback. I would like to take this opportunity as well to thank you for choosing the Renaissance Zurich Hotel for your stay.
I am glad to hear you had an enjoyable experience with the hotel.

I am looking forward to welcome you back.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Our family enjoyed our one night stay at this property. The lobby is lovely. The rooms are okay - not fabulous, but, nothing really wrong with them. We ate dinner at the hotel and the food was very good. Service everywhere on property was top notch.
Internet (which has always been free for us in the Marriott chain) was quoted at $25 per day which is a little much, in my opinion.
Love the access to town and airport with the trams.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
I am happy to forward your comment about the good Service to my team.
The High speed Internet charges are reflecting the prices of the area. As we know how important it is to be connected we offer 30 minutes access per day and room free of charge.
If further connection is needed, there are several possibilities starting from a minute option, hourly up to several days.

Once again I would like to thank you for your comment and hope to welcome you back.

Geneva
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My friends and I drove in from Geneva for a concert staying only one night. Initially there were only 2 of us then a 3rd joined last minute. Since it was one night we felt it would be okay for 3 girls to share the room. when we asked to have extra bed in the room we were told there would be additional charge since we didn't request it in advance. I asked if that could be waved, he said he would see what he can do which was nice. The package I paid for included the breakfast for 2, so we paid for the 3rd person about 38 CHF ($ 41). I am no stranger to high priced food at hotels but this was one on the top to remember since the menu nor the quality was anywhere near worth the price. The ham/cold cuts were just about to go bad which is unacceptable. I am happy to pay high price for the quality but this wasn't it. Not to mention the parking was as equally expensive and there's no free internet even in the lobby area as it is offered in many less expensive hotels.
I choose 4-5 star hotels since the security and customer service is important to me, but many times such as this experience leaves me wondering if it's worth paying extra for everything.In the end the hotel didn't charge me for the extra bed which took the sting out of the whole situation but I will have to rethink about if I would choose to stay here again. Certainly will not pay the retail price (296 CHF. = 317 USD) for the stay. I paid $194.07= 189.08 CHF inc. breakfast of course another 100 for the parking and the food. The positives: the hotel lobby is very pretty, the bed is very comfortable (even the roll aways), bathroom was clean enough and the water hot. But isn't all of that pretty standard? I don't believe this property rates 5 star by any means. I will give very low 4 at best.

Room Tip: my room which was on the 3 or 4th floor had the ugliest view of rooftop. This hotel does not have a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
First of all I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing the Renaissance Zurich Hotel and for your feedback.
I am sorry to hear about your challenge with the Breakfast. I totally understand your disappointment and I assure you this is not the standard of Breakfast, which we offer. Me and my Restaurant leader investigated the issue and took action.
As we know how important it is to be connected, we offer 30 minutes High speed Internet per day and per room free of charge. If further connections are necessary, there are possibilities starting from a minute option, hourly up to several days.
The prices are reflecting the local area.
Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback, which is important to us to continually improve our Service and to keep our high standard.

I hope to have the chance to welcome you back.

uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Closer to the airport than to the city centre and there is some jet noise. Trams 10 and 12 run regularly from the airport to Glattpark tram stop across from the hotel (10 runs on into the main railway station as well). Tram 11 runs to/from the main station as well from the other Glattpark halt, which is marginally closer to the front of the hotel. During the day these are regular and very punctual. Figure on half an hour to town by tram. If you're planning on travelling in and out a lot buy a Zurich pass for full daytime access to trams, buses, trains and some of the ships; the 24-hour pass was good for a 90-minute boat ride on the lake as well, which ordinarily costs about half the pass on its own. Make sure you pay the night supplement if applicable and validate your ticket before first using it. The fine posted in the trams says CHF100 and I understand they're not interested in excuses. Overall a car is a better bet, but Zurich's a European city, so pick your frustration : waiting a few minutes for public transport or negotiating a car round a very pedestrian- and mass transit-friendly city, and then trying to find a spot. If you're coming from the main train station (hauptbahnhof) a taxi will run you CHF50+; flag fall started at CHF6.80 before it turned a wheel. From the airport closer to CHF20 for a cab. If you're staying here for the Messe it's only three or four tram stops from the hotel; figure five minutes or so. The area's a mix of office and residential and dead after dark. Realistic entertainment options are all in town.
As to the hotel, entrance is behind the car dealer on the corner opposite the tram halts. Vivid lobby, excellent check-in staff, slow service in the restaurant in the evening but much better at breakfast. MR gold honoured with free breakfast - good quality, usual Marriott variety, regularly replenished - acceptably fast wifi in the room and lounge, and access to the executive lounge on the fourth floor. The lounge is pleasant, reasonably stocked with alcoholic and soft drinks, fruit and nibbles. The other piece of good news is it's the first Marriott I've seen in a while that has a decent sized exercise room with a good variety of machines and free weights.
Bad news is the rooms, or mine at least. Cleaned thoroughly, a very good size - big sitting area, king bed, work desk beside the sitting area - and well stocked but that's as far as it goes. On the inside of the hotel so the only view was of the courtyard at the centre of the hotel. Worse, frayed carpet by the bed, permanently marked bathroom mirror, nicked wallpaper and to crown it all some nimrod had carved his name into the marble in the bathroom by the pedestal. Well done you. Very adult. None of these things is a deal-breaker for me as I was there to work, but at this price point the cosmetics should be beyond more than petty criticism. More pertinently the lack of attention to detail - or refusal to spend on cosmetic failings - undoes the effort some of the staff are putting in, and I have to repeat, most of the folks I dealt with here - from reception to breakfast team to lounge staff - are great.
BL, unless you're here for the Messe try something closer to the centre. If it has to be Marriott the full-fat one on Neumuhlequai is overpriced but central and the Renaissance Tower where I'm now completing my second stay is much nicer, cheaper than Neumuhlequai and only a few minutes further from the city centre on tram line 4.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Roland_Ulmer, General Manager at Renaissance Zurich Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you very much for your comment. As well I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your great loyalty to Marriott International.

I am glad to hear my team created a good experience for you and to make you felt welcome.

I am sorry about the vulnerabilities in the room you stayed in. Please be aware we are on going to repair the signs of use continually.

I and my team are hoping to get the chance to welcome you back.

Kindest regards,

Been to Renaissance Zurich Hotel? Share your experiences!