“night club downstairs” 2 of 5 stars
Review of X-Tra Hotel

You added X-Tra Hotel to your Saves list
X-Tra Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Limmatstrasse 118, Zurich 8005, Switzerland (Gewerbeschule)   |
Ranked #103 of 126 Hotels in Zurich
Marlborough, United Kingdom
“night club downstairs”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Firstly very helpful staff. Secondly expect to pay for a lot of the free stuff you get in a normal hotel. Rooms are nothing special. functional but that's all. The WIFI is NOT free as advertised when i booked. There is a night club downstairs and runs all weekend. It can be heard from the top floor. Runs well into the night. easy to get to on tram. You can take a tram straight to bellvue. Plenty of amenities in close vicinity. My advice would be to avoid unless budget dictates otherwise.

Room Tip: ask for top floor to dampen night club sounds. ask for a rear facing room and the bells in the mor...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Hebrew first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

This hotel is a bit old and the rooms look tired. The rooms need a makeover.
The location is not so attractive.
Although the staff is very helpful and the service is good, the rooms are not worth what they are charging.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

For me, the first thing I look for is the location. This hotel is located next to a train/metro station and travelling was so easy. Also, next to the hotel you will find a super store "Migros" and few eating joints. The room was also decent and cleanliness was maintained too. They can add little more options for breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This hotel is old, unclean and PRICEY.
I was so disappointed with our room for what we had paid. We had just come from staying at a beautiful hotel in rome which was less expensive than this old shack. The mattress was damp, however it was 10pm by the time we found out, and when we called reception to change rooms, there was no answer. The street noise during the night will keep you awake for hours as well.
We complained the next day and changed to a slightly nicer room, however it was still below what we were expecting. There is no air-con and the breakfast in the morning is disappointing and definitely not worth getting. The other guests in the hotel looked as miserable as we were.. there is just not a nice atmosphere.
Dont waste your money here. It is old, and not close to anything.
Zurich is expensive so pay a little extra and stay somewhere that will be memorable for all the right reasons.

Room Tip: Just stay somewhere else!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Calcutta, West Bengal, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 1 night during our honeymoon. Its a nice hotel, but a bit far away from Zurich station. In spite of a disco being located nearby, it did not create much of a hassle. The food was good. Staff was friendly. The hotel had provided a locker to keep valuables. We had a great view from our room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Caloundra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Easy 10 min walk from train station or 3 tram stops. There is a restaurant attached to the hotel but did not present a problem with noise despite being there on a Friday night. The front desk staff member was efficient if not overly friendly and followed our instructions to ring our room as soon as our lost luggage was delivered (despite it being very late). Were a bit dubious about the area after seeing a lady of the night stake her claim outside the hotel and probably wouldn't wander around alone late at night in this neighbourhood. There are numerous Italian restaurants within a short walk, however we chose to dine at a Swiss restaurant called "Times" which was excellent. Room was a little squeezy especially with the pull-out bed taking up most of the available floor space. Bathroom was small but functional and clean and there were tea & coffee making facilities and a desk in the room. Windows had external shutters you could close to keep out the morning light. There was no ceiling fans or aircon, only a pedestal fan and room was quite hot with the windows closed. Tram line runs right in front of hotel, however we did not hear any noise from it or any traffic noise, possible because our room was located at the side of the building. Breakfast next morning was included in room rate and was very basic continental fare - nothing to rave about. Would rate this hotel as good basic accommodation close to public transport and restaurants.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte Amalie, null, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I recently stayed at Xtra Hotel for 3 nights on a visit to Zurich August 12 2013.

I see there are a few poor reviews regarding the hotel, however my experience was fantastic.

From the airport I took the train to the central station. This was very easy. At the airport I went to the Tourism Department and they gave me a map with directions to the hotel from the central train station. I was advised to take public transportation but I walked the distance. If you enjoy walking it really is not that far away at all. I stopped a few times back and forth at Starbucks as well!

I found the staff to be friendly and accommodating. They require you to leave the key at reception when you depart. I did not have any trouble recovering the key so this was ok for me.

The room I was in was on the corner on a higher floor and it had a great view of the square down below. I love being in the middle of the action and I really enjoyed this vantage point. The room was very basic but large. The TV is an older box style TV but I wasn't really in Zurich to watch TV so that did not bother me that much.

There were no disco activities when I was there so that did not disturb me.

They charge for wifi in the room however there is free wifi in the lobby. I would skip paying for the wifi and just get what you need in the lobby!

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to X-Tra Hotel? Share your experiences!