“Avoid Avoid Avoid” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 27 Specialty Lodging in Zurich
Winnipeg, Canada
“Avoid Avoid Avoid”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This hotel is more like a hostel, however it is not at par with hostels that I have stayed in before. Washrooms are shared among everyone on the floor as are the showers. The showers do not drain effectively therefore you end up standing in a bathtub of dirty water as you shower. The room was not clean, especially the carpet. It was very noisy with the tram and people drinking outside. We had 4 hours of quiet outside our room. There was no AC, therefore our windows were open. There was a mini-fridge but that was the only plus with this room. For 80 Francs I was expecting much more. However, after visiting Zurich, I have come to realize that everything is super expensive. Avoid this hotel and spend more money for a decent stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I arrived in Zurich after a delayed flight late at night. After arguing with a taxi driver who didn't know where Hotel Krone Limmatquai was, I ended up getting to the hotel by 11.30. I tried the door but it was shut. The lights were off and there was no bell. My phone didn't work so I had to wander the streets of Zurich all by myself until I could find somewhere that was open. The next morning I went to complain and they said there was nothing they could do about it because I'd arrived late. They charged me full price. They did not even say anywhere on their website that they close early. If I'd have known I would have booked a different hotel, as I would not have taken that risk for a 24 hour work trip. Very disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jackson, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is a hotel in central downtown Zurich, ten minutes from the main train station and most of the major attractions in Zurich. It doesn't have a bar or restaurant (except in the morning), and the bathrooms and showers are shared among everyone on a floor. I have stayed here four times and the rooms are always basic, functional, and clean, and the staff is courteous and helpful. It is more of a hostel than a proper hotel, but for 78 chf a night in downtown Zurich (not exactly a cheap location) what are you expecting, the Four Seasons? Get real. It is what it is: a clean room, clean sheets, and a temporary place. If you can afford it and mean to spend more than a few nights in Zurich, then by all means look elsewhere. However, if you are on a budget, only care that your room is clean and functional, and want to be in the center of the activity, this a great place.

Room Tip: Some are smoking so make sure you request a non-smoking room if you want.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Everything in Zurich is quite expensive. This place was cheap. I stayed there twice at the beginning and the end of my trip to Switzerland. The location was very good, 5 minutes walk from the train station, other sights, and shopping area. 10-15 minutes walk to the lake. Only few minutes walk from the bars and nightclubs. There were restaurants nearby that open until late.

The room was decent, clean, I did not expect it to be American standard chained hotel. The staff was helpful. On my way back to Zurich (the second stay at the end of the trip), the train was late and another one got canceled so I ended up coming back to Zurich after midnight and they arrange to give me the key.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

There should be some regulations about offering such poor and dirty accommodations. I have stayed in farmhouses and B&B's throughout Europe that were pleasant, simple and clean. Offering the cheapest hotel in Zurich sounds good but to have something this disgusting to offer should be criminal.

Room Tip: Don't go there. Pay a little more or avoid Zurich
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

This was quite a disgusting place to stay. I am not difficult, but really, this was NOT cool. When we got into our room, we each sat on our beds, one of them was fine, and my boyfriend immediately caved into his; the foundation was missing 2 wooden bars and 3 others were broken. The windows were wide opened when we got there, decided to close them because it was getting cold, went for a walk, and an hour later when we came back there was a powerful smell of mold. No washroom in the room, just a sink, no soap. Worse: the bathroom (in the hall) had no soap at the sink either. Cheapest hotel we found in zurich and it still cost us 120$ CAD. We didn't have the bedbug problem though.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

I agree with the review below about Hostel Krone. Staff not helpful but very absent-minded, also making you pay before you even see your room is a sign that they don't trust the quality or appearance of their own place. Cleanliness alright, location quite good, but I also agree that it costs too much for what you get. Zurich costs a fortune at the best of times, but this is just a rip off.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hostel Krone? Share your experiences!