“just outstanding” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 122 Hotels in Zurich
Palo Alto, California
“just outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is probably the best little hotel we were at. This is a rather small hotel which gives you the warmth of home. The place i is perfectly maintained: like I've never seen elsewhere, even in switzerland. The rooms are fair sized (for the price!), very convenient with all the amenities, the staff is warm and helpful, the location outstanding. All in all - a great place that I will surely return to.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Helmhaus, General Manager at Hotel Helmhaus, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Grüezi PaloVerusa

Thank you for having been staying with us. It is nice to know that you got a feeling of “being home away from home”. Our rooms with their unique interior design and decorated with paintings of Swiss artist Gisèle Mengis are meant to contribute to this feeling as well as our high quality Swiss Breakfast buffet and the friendliness of our team members.

We wish you all the best and look forward to welcoming again in the future.

Your Helmhaus Management Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We had researched hotels in Zurich for two weeks before our trip there.
Helmhaus Hotel continued to return to the front of our thoughts, the
positive reviews here at TripAdvisor being an incentive in our choice.
And we could not have been happier. This is truly a boutique hotel, in
the finest sense. We were thoroughly coddled by Helmhaus' friendly and
helpful staff, who made us feel that we were 'coming home' at the end of
our outings each day. They were warm and gracious in every action, with a
discreet and refined regard for our privacy -- the perfect balance.

Our room on the fourth floor was bright and comfortable, and everything
was spotless, with Swiss chocolates left on our pillows every day. Thick
terry bathrobes and slippers awaited our arrival from the long flight,
and the shower (and water pressure) was heavenly! Breakfasts (included)
were spectacular -- we never needed lunch -- with every type of bread,
coffee and tea, egg style, jam, fruit and muesli combination one could
want. The coffee was excellent.

The hotel is perfectly situated for easy access to two different tram
stops, one of which is a main hub for a number of different tram lines.
And, as others have pointed out, it is ideal in its location to Altstadt
(Old Town). The hotel is really walking distance to many areas, including
the path by beautiful Lake Zurich.

Again, the service -- thanks to Mario, Anya, Irene, Nadia, the ladies in
the kitchen, and the room staff -- was superb. We would not consider
staying anywhere else in this gorgeous Swiss city.

Room Tip: Fourth or fifth floor facing the lake
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Grüezi Hanafi F

Thank you for having been our guests. I am delighted to know that research of a hotel in Zurich for your stay has led you again and again to our little historical hotel in the heart of Oldtown.
And to see that you enjoyed all we had to offer, i.e. our rich Swiss Breakfast buffet with high quality Swiss products, our location, the quality and comfort of our newly renovated rooms as well as the friendliness and helpfulness of our team members, is the biggest compliment for us which has been passed on to our entire team.

It was a pleasure being your host, and we wish you all the best.

Breda, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I booked the Helmhaus hotel through booking.com based on the good reviews and I was not disappointed! In fact I would highly recommend this hotel. It's great for going into town (tram stations very nearby) and located in a nice and quiet street (must admit that the hotel offers sound proof windows). I booked a superior double bed room and we got one on the corner of the building on the third floor. This room gives you a glance of the lake which is a great view. The staff was very friendly. Breakfast is very good too. Would love to go here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Grüezi Ernie020213

Thank you for having chosen our little historical yet modern Hotel Helmhaus. It is a pleasure to see that your high expectations based on the good reviews were not disappointed.
In the past years we have done a lot to improve the comfort for our guests, i.e. renovation of all the rooms, installing sound-proof windows and hard-wooden floors in all rooms as well as strengthening the Wlan internet reception.
And by booking our hotel directly with us our guests can esure to get the best rooms at the best rates.
I have passed your compliments to all our team members.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future, and we wish you all the best.

Encinitas, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Had a very lovely stay here! From the moment we arrived, my husband and I were warmly greeted by Nadia at the front desk and offered some complimentary local wine as a welcome. We were running late for a dinner reservation we had and Nadia was gracious enough to offer to call the restaurant for us to let them know we were going to be a bit late. Check-in was a breeze, and the room they gave us was fantastic. It was clean, modern, comfortable, and the room was huge! We slept very well and the room was generally quiet, but we did have to complain once to the front desk about the people upstairs being extremely heavy footed and their footsteps keeping us up. The rooms have nice laminate flooring, but I guess the downside is that footsteps can be amplified. Once we asked the front desk to take care of the situation though, the loud footsteps stopped and we were able to sleep. The stay also included a breakfast every morning that was very nice, and in the lobby they would have complimentary coffee and pastries for the guests. The location of the hotel was great --- within walking distance to major points like, the Old Town area, Lindenhofplatz, and Bahnhofstrasse. The hotel is also near a parking structure which is great since there is no on-site parking at the hotel and it allowed us to have a place to park our car during our stay. We definitely enjoyed our comfortable room and the friendly staff at this hotel that made our stay here so wonderful.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Helmhaus, General Manager at Hotel Helmhaus, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Grüezi vlelh

It is nice to know that from the moment of your arrival you had an enjoyable stay at our Hotel Helmhaus and valued the quality of our rooms and Swiss breakfast as well as the friendliness of our team members. Your compliments about our colleague Nadja have been duly passed on to her.
The hard wooden floors have been installed in our rooms a few years ago to highten the quality of the interior and for hygienic reasons. To lessen the sounds on the hard wooden floors and to have a better „home“-feeling we provide slippers in each room.

Thank you for having been staying with us and we wish you all the best. Your Helmhaus Management Team.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I recently stayed at the Helmhaus in Zurich (September 5-10, 2013). I did not know what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. I was met by a friendly staff that offered me a cool drink, as it was very hot the day of my arrival. My room was not immediately available, as it was 11AM. I was allowed to check in and promised my room would be available in 1 hour. Mario, made some great suggestions to spend the time while waiting. I returned an hour later, my room was ready and my luggage had been placed in the room. A full breakfast was offered each morning, a great start to my day. The hotel is located in Oldtown, and walking distance to restaurants, bars, public transportation, and shopping. The hotel staff was able to arrange all my tours and offered a currency exchange. The hotel exceded my expectations. The housekeeping is superb. I will definitely stay at the helmhaus again, and will recommend it to anyone staying in Zurich. All the hotel staff was wonderful. One staff person, Mario, really stood out. He was very attentive, and greeted me each morning by name. He made me feel special. My first trip to Switzerland was a beautiful experience, and it all started with the Helmhaus.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Grüezi Larry V

Thank you very much for having been our guest. It is indeed a great pleasure to know that you had such a comfortable stay at our historical yet modern Hotel Helmhaus. Especially when it is the first time to a foreign country expectations are high and the travellers are very anxious. That our Hotel Helmhaus has been a very good start to the beautiful experience of your first trip to Switzerland is a big compliment which has been passed on to all our team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the smallest and most centrally located Four-Star hotel of Zurich, and we wish you all the best.

Your Helmhaus Managemernt Team.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I was on a business trip which flew me in and out of Zurich so I decided to stay a few days as a tourist. It was a great decision as Zurich is a lovely, charming European city and I could not imagine a better base than the Helmhaus.

The service here is impeccable, the staff solicitous and hepful. The included breakfast has many selections and the breakfast room is cozy. I loved my room on the second floor. It felt like my personal pied-a-terre. It has an old world charm, but the amenities of a modern hotel. The internet was included and quite fast.

The location, about a block from the river and walking distance to all the tourist sites, is ideal. Stay here and not only you will love it, you will save a little money for delicious Swiss chocolates.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Grüezi NJLovestoTravel

It is a pleasure to know that you had such a comfortable stay at our Hotel Helmhaus. Although our hotel has undergone extensive renovations and modernisations (the lateast ones between 2007 and 2012) one can still feel the air of its nearly 700 years of history within our building.
And with its location in the heart of Oldtown most major sights are within easy walking distance.

Thank you for sharing your love of our hotel with other travellers and us, and we wish you all the best.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Once again, Trip Advisor reviewers got it right! This is a lovely hotel in a perfect location. Walking distance to the lake, old town and most everything you would want to see on a quick visit here. The staff was friendly and we felt very welcomed. The breakfast was beyond what I expected and a nice perk. Highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Grüezi Tami T

I want to thank you for having been our guests and for taking the time to share your positive thoughts with other travellers and us. It is a pleasure to know that you have chosen our hotel based on other Tripadvisor reviews, and that you were proven right with that choice.
It is the quality to our guests that is our primary concern, and that you valued all our hotel’s services and amenities is much appreciated.

Thank you for recommending us, and all the best for you. Your Helmhaus Management Team.

Been to Hotel Helmhaus? Share your experiences!