“Comfortable hotel near the main train station” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Schweizerhof Zurich
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Bahnhofplatz 7, Zurich 8001, Switzerland   |
Ranked #5 of 123 hotels in Zurich
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Comfortable hotel near the main train station”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I have stayed often at this comfortable convenient hotel. It is across the street from the main train station and at the end of the Bahnhofstrasse. Zurich is an expensive town and the hotel is expensive too especially during the week as it is a business hotel.

The rooms are comfortable, large TV, fresh fruit, and customer controlled AC and heat. The hotel is quiet as there is a double door to the hallway.

Breakfast is excellent with specially prepared eggs and a top assortment of foods on the buffet. A small pitcher of orange juice is on each table. Newspapers in many languages are available.

568 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Polish first
HerveyBay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We were not aware that the Hotel was fully booked out as the service and attention to our needs was excellent until breakfast when we had to join a queue outside the dining room before finding a spot to eat. The Staff were run off thisr feet yet still off ered he best of service and the buffet was always filled and delicious. Yes, the location is brilliant. Right next to the centre of town which has to be explored to appreciate the Swiss culture. When we got lost the first person we approached gave us excellent instructions. It is our intention to return and there is no question as to where we will choose to stay when in Zurich.

Room Tip: We asked for a "good" room and that is what we got.
Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I can hardly improve on the comments of previous reviewers; you only have to look at the consistently high star ratings to see that this wonderful hotel lives up to its reputation. And no wonder.
It is so convenient for the train station. When we arrived we were immediately offered hot towels and orange juice. Such a good start. The reception staff is exemplary – so helpful and they make you feel like very special guests. Our room was beautifully appointed – very clean and large enough with a good bathroom. We slept well in the very comfortable bed.

The breakfast is simply superb – everything you could possibly wish for AND Champagne too if you wanted it!

All the staff members were very courteous, friendly and helpful; they even offered to send someone over to the station with us to ensure we caught the right train next morning. We didn't need it, but how’s that for service!

Oh – and there is a Swarovski shop right next door. Perfection!

Room Tip: Room 210 was quiet and we slept very well.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

stayed 3 nights in sept 13, real convenient base to visit Zurich and nearby towns up to bern, basel, luzen, rhinefalls. staff super efficient and friendly. made our stay like a home away from home.
location cannot be beaten, right infront of central railway station. 4 minutes safe crossing over, with free hotel greet and send off at train platform if needed.
room adequate for 2 large bags, clean and comfy Bulgarie bathroom accessories. turn down service. my room had bowl of fruits, chocolates, bottle of water.
French restaurant with really nice food. half board available - you get spoilt with dessert tray full of delicious dessert. breakie with complete selection and eggs to your satisfaction, even at 10 am there is still adequate choice.
front desk is superefficient, just ask and they have it-zurich tram/train/bus card no worries, directions no worries and even offered to post package for us overseas if needed.
have a good time

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for one night as stopover from a holiday in Italy. This was our second stay and once again we found the experience fantastic. Superb service especially from the 'butler' who served us at both gourmet café and breakfast. Will definitely be returning for longer break.

• Stayed September 2013
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Friday to Monday long weekend

Location location location - right across the road from the main railway station.
Room was very generous size with a huge comfortable bed and a real key to open the door!
Bathroom facilities lovely and TV had all the channels you need and more.

Staff extremely professional and courteous and a very knowledgeable and helpful concierge - (Andre I think).

Breakfast very relaxed but a lot of variety.

Would definitely recommend!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I was recently in Switzerland on holiday and chose this hotel for part of my trip. The service in this hotel is phenomenal, absolutely phenomenal. In fact, it is as good or in most cases better than any five star hotel I have stayed in around the world.

Check In - When I arrived, I was provided with a warm towel and a bottle of water. The gentleman who checked me in was very friendly, professional and efficient. He provided me with a map of the city and also answered my questions regarding day trips. I am bad with names but I believe he said he was from Indonesia.

Housekeeping - I called Housekeeping for a couple more hangars and an iron and they were delivered within 3 minutes. When the gentleman arrived he even offered to set up the ironing board, fill the iron with water, etc. Very impressive. Housekeeping kept my room very clean.

Turn Down Service - I happened to be in my room one night when the nice lady (originally from Sri Lanka) came to provide turn down service. I asked her questions about Switzerland and she took the time to visit with me. I really appreciated this. Once again, very impressed with the service.

Breakfast - Breakfast was very good and the entire staff was friendly, professional and efficient. The mature gentleman who I think was probably in charge was really making sure everyone was attended to. Coffee was brought to the table within one minute of sitting down. I recommend the Eggs Benedict. Once again, top notch service.

Fruit Basket - I have been in hotels where you might receive a fruit basket on the first night but never EVERY NIGHT. This was big surprise. Plus, there was chocolate in the basket which was very nice.

Shoe Shine - Left my shoes in the shoe bag on the door knob overnight and in the morning they had been polished. Free of charge. This was a nice surprise also.

Room - I had the larger single room and it was plenty spacious. It never felt cramped. I liked that there was complimentary water left in the room every night. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was very nice.

Butler Service - Every night a butler travels the hotel with a trolley of complimentary candy, yogurt, etc. I was out of the hotel most evenings sightseeing so was only able to enjoy this one night. Very unique idea.

Wake up Call - I set my wake up call on my last night so I could make it to the airport. It kept going off but I didn't think anything of it. I just kept putting the receiver down. I was up and about getting ready. Next thing I know there is someone knocking at my door because he was afraid I overslept. Impressive.

Location - Right across from the train station so very convenient. Don't worry, about the location. The train station in Zurich is not like other major train stations in Europe. It is extremely clean and safe. This hotel is also right at the top of Zurich's exclusive shopping street.

To top things off, I received a discount for booking the rooms on line with the hotel. That was a nice surprise when I checked out. Upon leaving the hotel, I was provided water and chocolate. I could go on and on about this hotel. I will definitely stay here again and highly recommend it. This hotel is on the more expensive side but it is worth very penny (franc). They cannot do enough to make sure your stay is pleasant. That is what staying in a nice hotel is all about. Good job to all. Everyone I encountered (bell hops, housekeeping, doorman), etc. all were pleasant.

Tip: There is a grocery store (Coop) right near the hotel. This was convenient for buying some last minute souvenirs, chocolate, wine, water, etc.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Schweizerhof Zurich? Share your experiences!