“Small but ok” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel St. Gotthard

You added Hotel St. Gotthard to your Saves list
Hotel St. Gotthard
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bahnhofstrasse 87 | Altstadt, Zurich CH-8023, Switzerland   |
Ranked #48 of 123 Hotels in Zurich
Singapore, Singapore
“Small but ok”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I will rate the hotel as slightly above average. Very small room but clean and cozy. Location is very good ...just across the station. There was a waiter in a restaurant which I believe belongs to the hotel gave me a very good impression . The restaurant was just by the roadside and he was there doing his chores. When he saw us with 2 heavy luggage bags, he immediately helped us carry them into the hotel. This is what I call ' swiss hospitality'.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
msa821, Manager at Hotel St. Gotthard, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear jenfoo,

thank you for your kind and motivating comments on Tripadvisor, we forward to our staff with pleasure.

Looking forward to welcoming you again during your next stay in Zürich

we remain, wit our best regards

Martin Santschi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Greek first
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed ten days in June 2013 at the Hotel St. Gotthard in Zurich. Apparently, they stole 228.97 Canadian dollars from me (for information, a Canadian dollar is worth the same as a US dollar). Here is what happened exactly: I left the hotel Thursday June 20th, 2013. My bill was 3311.70 CHF. When I left, I specifically asked twice that my bill be charged in the exact amount of Swiss francs, NOT in their "equivalent" amount in Canadian dollars. Indeed these people, like many others in Switzerland, offer you the possibility of acting as a bank "for you" and billing you in your own currency (Canadian dollars in my case) with an exchange rate that is simply prohibitive and scandalous. The person at the front desk, a slavic young woman (blue eyes, blond hair) told me that the transaction was indeed in CHF. I signed the VISA bill on which appeared first the amount in CHF 3311.70 CHF and then their "equivalent" of 3793.68 CAN $. It was clear to me that I had signed on Swiss francs because I trusted her.

Getting back to Canada, I was shocked to realize, looking at my VISA bill, that the St. Gotthard had billed me an incredible amount of 3793.68 CAN $, that is to say they had applied their own excessive rate of change. In doing so, they actually extracted from me an amount of 228.97 CAN$ which is what I lost by being billed at "their" exchange rate without my consent. To make this precise, the rate that they used was 1.1455 CAN $ per CHF, whereas the rate applied by VISA for the very same day was 1.0764 CAN $ per CHF. This means that they got me by SEVEN cents for each CHF that I spent at their place. Incredible ! Evidently, I am now working closely with VISA to sue that hotel.

Otherwise, the majority of the staff in this hotel is painful: even if your are as kind and smiling as possible, extracting the slightest smile from them is impossible. They just don't like what they do and, instead of complaining to their bosses or changing to a job that they would like, they let you suffer for their unhappiness. They seem uneducated, and have a complex about it. The only people in this hotel who are polite and educated are the cleaning ladies (with one noticeable exception: a large man at the front desk, who speaks all languages with pleasure; unfortunately, he does not run the place and does not work every day....). Outside on the terrasse, there are a few German Swiss servers who are certainly the worst people that I have ever met in my life in a restaurant. One of them in particular, young and tall, with very short hair, is as painful as one could imagine. Again there is one exception: a server, black eyes and hair, speaking all languages and really nice, of Italian origin. He is perfect.

Conclusion: avoid that hotel by all means ! Apparently, they just want to extract as much money as they can from your pockets in the minimal possible time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
msa821, Manager at Hotel St. Gotthard, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Francois L.

thank you very much for getting in contact with us per mail. We are glad to know that there was a misunderstanding with the exchange rate. This exchange rates are defined by our credit card company, and not by our staff.

We hope that you or Tripadvisor will remove your comment, because it does not correspond to the reality.

We are very sorry, that our service did not reach your expectations, but your comments help us to improve every day our standards.

Demarest, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This is my second visit to the Hotel. The location is two streets away from the train station and is a beautiful area for shopping ( Prada, Hermes, etc) and there are many restaurants very near the lake. Both experiences were amazing. At check in , I was welcomed and remembered by the same front desk woman. She was very professional and responded with a yes to all of my request. (I needed an early check in as I was attending Art basel and also requested a larger room than originally booked) She also made wonderful restaurant suggestions on my previous trip. I am a hotel owner in NYC and hope that my staff is as pleasant and accomodating as she was.

Room Tip: Higher floors and request a renovated room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
msa821, Manager at Hotel St. Gotthard, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Eli B,

thank you for your great comments on Tripadivsor. We are glad to forward your motivating words to our staff.

Looking forward to welcoming you again during your next stay in Zürich.

Bangkok
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

What I like:

Location
The hotel is right above H&M shops and located on the main shopping Street across the hotel are Starbucks, Swatch, Swarovski..etc. No need to take taxi to anywhere. From the airport, take a train to Zurich HB or tram, a very short walk from the stations.

Room
Room is average but ample size. Nothing spectacular about. Its ok for us as we spent most of the time exploring the city.

F&B
We didn't try any at hotel as there are so many options in the neighborhood. :)

What to improve
Nothing really major. We didn't expect a lot anyway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
msa821, Manager at Hotel St. Gotthard, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear araiwa,

thank you for your kind comment on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you liked our location and hope to welcome you again during your next stay in Zürich.

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

When we arrived here there was some slight confusion with our booking (made by phone on boxing day) The receptionist overcame the problem and put us in an upgraded room. Very good response and service.
We didn't eat at the hotel because whilst the food looked very nice it was beyond our end of vacation budget.
This is a very professional hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
msa821, Manager at Hotel St. Gotthard, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Mr. Artsman,

thank you for your kind comment on Tripadvisor. We are very glad, that you liked our service and hope to welcome you again during your next trip to Zürich.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

People think from just seeing the pictures the hotel must be a very modern one, but the staff was very unmotivated, the bathrooms where very old, si that's why we had to change our room 3 times to get okay with the siatuation.they didn't even got your packages.
So we ordered a luxury double room and the first time they tried us to get a smaller room eben if we had paid for the bigger one.
For this money we paid, it was really not worth it.

• Stayed June 2013
msa821, Manager at Hotel St. Gotthard, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Catherinekelevra,

thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor. We apologize that our service did not reach your expectations. Hotel St. Gotthard is more than 120 year old, but in several stepps we refurbished all our rooms an also bathrooms during the last 3 years.

thank you for your constructive comments. They help us to improve.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Just a 2 minute walk from the Zurich HB train station, this hotels location couldn't be more convenient. It's also on a street that connects to the Zurich lake (short walk) and has many great shops and cafes! We enjoyed our stay - only negatives were the water pressure on the shower was terrible and the quality of the food that we ordered from room service was average.

• Stayed May 2013
msa821, Manager at Hotel St. Gotthard, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear Wendy K,

thank your for your comment on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you liked our location. Thank also for you comments about water pressure and room service, you help us to improve our service.

Martin Santschi

Been to Hotel St. Gotthard? Share your experiences!