“Attention...to detail” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 123 hotels in Zurich
London
“Attention...to detail”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This hotel is perfectly located within 3 minutes walk from Zurich rail station. Upon arrival, the welcome is very warm and all the staff are very attentive and efficient. My room was large and spacious, but the bed was not that comfortable as it sunk in a bit too much for my preference and unfortunately the windows do not open so as not to allow noise in from the main road outside. Whilst this means you can sleep sound, it also means people who like fresh air may feel a bit claustrophobic - the big room does slightly compensate for this though. Despite those few factors, the rest of the room has a lot of character building in tradition with modernity - uniquely beautiful.

In terms of service the hotel excelled: I had ordered room service at night (yes, how very fat of me) which was absolutely delicious and of high standard. Also, when I found out my Europe adaptor did not work (you need a three pin Swiss adaptor plug), the reception staff sent one to me quickly - even at 1.30am. Overall, an impressive service and a very good hotel, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Many thanks for your compliments on tripadvisor. I'll certainly forward your review to my fabulous team. Indeed, they are doing a great job and we're continuesly working to improve our service quality. For future reference, please let us know upon your reservation that you prefere a firmer mattress as well as a room with a window to open in order for us to allocate you a room accordingly (we can remove the soft downfeathered overmattress on the bed system).
Again, thank you for having taken the time to review us. Best regards, Monica Voegeli

1,179 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed at the Continental on the way to and from East Africa. The hotel is a couple of blocks from Old Town and very close to the train station and the trams. For Zurich it is fairly well priced. That said, Zurich is very expensive! The rooms are average in size for European rooms and that is small by United States standards unless you are thinking Manhattan. We found ours to be very comfortable. The bathrooms are modern and well appointed. The front desk staff were helpful, courteous and efficient as one would expect in Switzerland. They are pleasant but don't expect a big smiling greeting because that is not their style. Just go and enjoy the Swiss being Swiss and enjoy the wonderful nearby area and easy access to all of Zurich!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Gruezi and thank you for reviewing us on Tripadvisor. It is lovely to read about your memorable stay with us and I will make sure my front office team reads your review, too. We look forward to welcome you on your next trip to Zurich. Sincerely, Monica Voegeli
Buderim, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We walked to the hotel from the train station and it was a fairly easy walk with our suitcases up a hill. Fortunately we had the directions correct as there are several similar streets from the railway station that could have led us astray. We were met by a pleasant receptionist who booked us in, gave us directions for some local eating places and held our bags while we went to lunch and waited until our room became available.

We found this hotel on TripAdvisor and were impressed with the reviews and the photos of the interior. We hadn't realized it was a part of the Accor group of hotels until after we had booked it on an accommodation web site. That cost us points as we have been members of Accor's loyalty club for a number of years and we were told that we couldn't get any points unless we had booked with the hotel direct. We also noticed after we had booked that this hotel was originally a Sofitel Hotel - Accor's top of the range hotel group, so we were really surprised when we got into our room to find how small the rooms were. Neither of our suitcases would fit into the space allocated for them in the wall unit so we just had to put them on the limited floor space.

On the positive side, it was reasonably close to the station, the bed was really comfortable and the apple juice in the foyer was great as the weather was fairly hot while we were there.

This was our most expensive hotel on our European trip and the rate didn't include breakfast so we had to rely on the Coop Supermarket near the station rather than go further over budget and purchase breakfast at the hotel.

Zurich (or perhaps Switzerland generally) is expensive compared to neighbouring countries and prices were well above the equivalent exchange rate. The final straw was when we were charged a tourist tax as we left as we received absolutely no benefit as a tourist for it. This of course was not the hotel's fault, but these type of things tend to affect your whole opinion of a place. Certainly, if you have to go to Zurich, be prepared for higher prices and a stay in this hotel would be quite OK as long as you didn't have a large suitcase.

Room Tip: Don't take large suitcases there.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your honest feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed our local apple juice of farmer Grimm as well as our lovely MGallery beds. Regarding your comments about the size of your room, I am sorry for your inconveniences with your suitcases and for future reference we do have very spacious Superior rooms, please refer to the room size information on all booking channels. I am very sorry you weren't aware that the MGallery Collection belongs to Accor, it is a new brand that has only been created in 2008, but we already have 3 hotels in Australia, too. For your inconveniences I express my sincere apologies and I hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Zurich. Best regards, Monica Voegeli
Waterville Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Sure it's a nice hotel and fairly conveniently located but a bit short on charm.You may have noticed that, as a general rule, the Swiss lack personality, especially when compared to the French. No exuberant greetings nor warm smiles. I had to ask (twice) for a shower cap but at least there was no surcharge on this.
Zurich is very expensive, period. It's all about money.
And 'Surcharge Hotel' is what my husband and I called this place. The computer use was surcharged but finally, because the printer didn't work, the charge was waived. A bottle of water was offered at a surcharge. A tiny bottle of wine from the mini bar was 14 francs. A bottle of the same wine and twice the size was 5 francs at the Co-op.
In examining our bill we still can't figure out what 'Auslagen empfang tip restaurant' is.
But here's a tip from us: get your goodies at the Co-op (5-10 minute walk) and keep away from the mini bar.
The restaurant looked cold and impersonal with little choice and very high prices. We ate at pub-style restaurants in town and found the food good, the service cheerful and the prices reasonable.
If we were to come back to Zurich we'd take the train from the airport rather than the expensive taxi. Would we stay at this same hotel? Maybe. There's not much choice, unless you want to spend more money. But would that be better? We probably would be too chicken to try.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
I am so sorry to read about your bad impression Switzerland seems to have made during your trip. On behalf of my team at the Continental Zurich I would like to express my sincere apologies. I have noted your remark regarding the minibar rates and I will into it with my pruchasing manager. As for the water, the pet bottle of complimentary free water is daily refilled, all other minibar items are additionally. The use of the business center is at an extra charge, but wifi services are complimentary. As to your question about 'Auslagen empfang tip restaurant' on your invoice: that is the tip you gave the restaurant or breakfast crew. I'll certainly look into this issue why it wasn't stated in english and why it wasn't explained to you properly.
Once again I hope you accept my sincere apology and I do hope you'll give us the chance to prove our personality qualities on your next trip to Zurich. Sincerely, Monica Voegeli
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are small but it is within walking distance from the central train station. It is clean and the apple juice fountain is a plus. For all those US visitors, bring your adaptors to charge your phones.
It is a cozy place and I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you so much for your positive review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed our local apple juice from farmer Grimm. As to your remark regarding the adaptors, we do have universal adaptors available at reception, this is also mentioned in our Room Directory. Sincerely, Monica Voegeli
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel is very close to the rail station & as we were going to Paris in 3 days this hotel was ideal. THE STAFF are very helpfull and we were upgraded to the 6 th floor suit.The bedding and
pillows were fantastic. The restraunt food was very good & we had breakfast there too big choice
The walk to the main shopping area alsol leads you to the lake. The old city is very close also,well worth a look

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Many thanks for your lovely feedback on tripadvisor, I'll certainly forward your compliments to my team. Thank you for having taken the time to do so. We look forward to your next stay, best regards, Monica Voegeli

Been to Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!