“Friendly, until they find out you booked through Priceline !!!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
15% off
Ranked #27 of 123 Hotels in Zurich
singapore
“Friendly, until they find out you booked through Priceline !!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Booked this hotel through Priceline for 50% off the retail rate for a night stay. When I called the hotel and tried to reconfirm the booking with Reservation Dept, Ms. Kate Finn told me that they do not entertain the requests by customers if they book the room through Priceline. She was friendly until she heard the word "Priceline". Wow, I did not know that winning a bid could mean being discriminated.

I also just realized that the Hotel Management does not even respond in this website at all when I tried to email them regarding the reservation.

My stay will be on 16 June 2012 and I will update the review again. This is just a warning for people who win the bid through Priceline.

The Hotel does not have email address either on the website.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Thessaloniki, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed at the Marriott for 2 nights in April and we simply loved it.
First of all the hotel staff was excellent. Very helpful ,polite and always smiling.
The location was perfect.You could walk down the river and arrive on foot in the old town or go shopping in just 10 minutes.
As far as the rooms are concerned I could say that we got exactly what we asked for.A spacious comfortable room with a picturesque view.
Breakfast was more than adequate served in a perfectly decorated restaurant.Our compliments to the decorator.
All in all we will definitelly stay there the next time we visit Zurich.

Room Tip: A room just opposite the elevator and a little bit on the right
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

First of all, this is a very nice hotel, 10 minutes walking distance from the train station and the old town. It is easy to find, you won't be looking for it on a map or walking around.

Now, this is an expensive hotel even for Switzerland. For that kind of money, I expect everything to be perfect. Indeed, most of it was close enough to perfection.

The staff was friendly and spoke a variety of languages. My room was big and clean. I could easily move around even with a king size bed, a big flat screen TV, a desk and a leather seat in the room. There were also several cupboards and an iron board worth mentioning. The temperature of the shower was easy to set up and the pressure was good (I hate feeling like water is leaking over me).

I got an Executive package which grants access to a restricted area. This is basically a lounge similar to the ones in airports (I mean free drinks and food 24/7, not "full of exhausted people who need a shower”!). I had my breakfast there and it was great both in selection and taste. I got two servings of their delicious scrambled eggs!

However, as one says, the devil is in the detail. Here are the ones that got a "star" off their score.

As I came into the lobby, a strong smell of cigar made me think there was a cigar enthusiasts club meeting there. I was not going to spend any time in here anyway but it really surprised me. It wasn't present anymore later in the evening.

When I entered the room, I froze, not because of how nice it was, but because of the temperature! The weather was dull that day so I didn't get why the AC was to the max (literally, according to the control pane).

Feeling somewhat thirsty, I looked for some bottled water that would have been left for me to enjoy. Well, there were some ... at a price of 8 CHF a piece! Really? I spent over 360 USD for one night and I'm supposed to shed that much for some water? Unfortunately for them, that's not what I've been used to by competitors. Anyway, at least the sticker is obvious so you won't open one before noticing the price. (Btw, tap water is really good.)

The last part took place in the bathroom. After enjoying the shower, I found myself in the funny situation where I couldn't see myself in the mirror (because of that great hot shower mentioned above). Not that bad, agreed, but the point is that there is no way to make it go away. The vent holes in the ceiling didn't do the job. I just got my favorite hairstyle in front of another mirror in the room thinking I was lucky not to by a woman wanting to put on some make up. When I left the room for check out maybe 10 minutes later, the mirror was still not "functional".

I can also mention that the hotel didn't go beyond the usual soap / shampoo / lotion set (no cotton swabs or shoe polish).

There it is, I was overall very satisfied with my experience at the Marriott, only was I hoping for perfect and I "only" got very good. Enjoy Zurich!

Room Tip: The floors count 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 / 24 - 25 - 26 - etc (1 to 3 are lobby, breakfast and meeting rooms...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We stayed at the Marriot for 4 nights. It is in an excellent location opposite the Limmat river and very close to the town; restaurants, shops and rail way station. The service is fantastic as is the room service and hotel room but that all comes at a price. The prices for the room service and restaurant food is very expensive, a short walk into town will allow you to buy a meal for half the price. Most people staying were there for business. Only 20 minutes from the airport. A great hotel and location if you can afford it! I did read on the internet there was a pool..BUT unfortunately there is NO POOL!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Stourport on Severn, Worcestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

A great hotel within a 10 minute walk from the Zurich HB train station. Faultless check in and very helpful desk staff. Room was large, clean and comfy, only downside was facing away from Zurich city, but still an impressive view. Complimentary toiletries as befits any quality hotel.
Recently renovated restaurant/breakfast room, very tatsteful with a Swiss theme. Huge choice for breakfast with pretty much everyone catered for, help yourself as much as you like.
We ate here in the eCHo restaurant on the Saturday night, 3 courses for CHF69 with free wine, great meal, great service.
Needed to book in for our flights online and the desk staff give you 10 mins free wifi in order to do so, this is very useful and saves you having to buy an hours worth of wifi.
All in all a great weekend, very enjoyable visit to Zurich and will definately stay here again

Room Tip: This was our 4th visit and everytime we forget to ask for a room with a view of Zurich, maybe next t...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Zurich is filled with beautiful old traditional buildings, and the Marriott isn't one of them. It's a modern high-rise. No historic charm, but just about everything else is great. We spent about $300 U.S. a night here in June. Switzerland is very expensive, and that price isn't bad for what we got. The staff was tremendously helpful. We had a high room with a great view. Many European hotels aren't air conditioned, but this one is and it worked well. The room was quiet, comfortable and large, and the bathroom was fine although it had only a shower, not a tub. TV was good. Plenty of storage space. The restaurants were fine. The hotel is not located at City Center and not near the lake, but it's on the river and it's a relatively easy walk to the train station and to public transit. If we returned to Zurich today, I'd be hard-pressed to stay anywhere else. There are actually two Marriott buildings, connected by a walkway over a street. Be sure to request a room in the older, high-rise building of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Novi Sad, Serbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is fine, however everything is paid extra, they even charge the internet 9.5 Francs for 30mins. A real shock is that I paid 180 Francs for 10mins phone call to a landline to Serbia. I paid this without comment, but vowed never to stay in this hotel again, because it's certainly not worth what they charge for the stay. Breakafast is just Ok, but the waiters at breakfast are very helpful and unintrusive. Checkin took more than 25mins, although we were the only guests checking in.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Zurich Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!