“It was perfect, but probably can do even better” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
CHF1,270 (CHF)
Ranked #2 of 127 Hotels in Zurich
Cattaro
“It was perfect, but probably can do even better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

There is no need to describe all the advantages of this refined hotel. It's all there. Design, comfort, prestige etc. We are really pleased to stay several days in Dolder and for sure will be back one day. Nobody's perfect, but the important part of any business is how you handle the problems when they appear. And these guys there certainly know how to deal with that.
I've asked the concierge to wash my car and in 2 hours when the bell boy drove it to the entrance the car wasn't clean. I was little upset, because it was a superb summer day, just a proper day for a lazy ride to the countryside. The stuff realized my feelings even before I said a word. In 20 minutes everything was done. The concierge personally came out to our table where we were having coffee while waiting and apologized for the inconvenience. The coffee was complimentary, and the car wash also. Otherwise by the way the car was is 90 CHF.
Our first day in the hotel the breakfast was really slow. We even discussed with my wife an opportunity to complain. But the next day, situation changed. The management doubled the stuff, they rearranged the space on the open terrace and everything went really smooth.
Our compliments to the general manager and the administration of the hotel who really now the situation and react appropriate.
There are 3 things, I would like to be upgraded in Dolder.
1. The quality of coffee.
2. The slippers from the room can not be used in the SPA zone, they are really slippery on wet.
3. The mattresses in the suites are little softer than they should be for a healthy sleep.
All the rest was perfect. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark_Jacob_TDG, Managing Director at The Dolder Grand, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for staying at the Dolder Grand and for passing on your valuable remarks.

We are delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable time and valued the solution-oriented attitude of our staff. Whereas, we appreciate your recognition of the flexibility and responsiveness, we would like to assure you that it is our goal to do things right the first time.

As we attach great importance to continuously improve the quality of our products, we will take up your suggestions and evaluate potential improvements. Furthermore, we would like to inform you that thanks to adjustable slatted frames the comfort of the mattresses can be adjusted. Also, on the occasion of your next stay, we would be delighted to offer you a mattress with a firmer sleep comfort.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon and wish you all the best.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We were lucky enough to stay at the Dolder Grand for a friends wedding. She had arranged one of the Dolder cars to pick us up from the airport (complete with cold water and mints) to then drive us to the hotel.

The views were breathtaking and the hotel was a stunning mix of old and new architecture. We were welcomed into the hotel by our driver who talked a bit about the history of the hotel, and then lead us to reception.

The girls on reception were very nice and showed us up to our rooms. We had adjoining rooms and stayed as a party of 4.

The rooms were AMAZING! Massive beds, lots of walk around space and stunning views of the lake and mountains. The whole room and wet room was controlled by remote control, so you could change lighting, temperature, entertainment etc. They provide music on demand via the TV, so we created a play list for our stay, which was a nice touch.

The bathrooms were lovely and big, and featured a shower with multiple shower heads for an intense clean, a bath and a separate toilet. They had also provided some complimentary toiletries and candles to add to the experience.

The rooms also had everything you could need; a hair dyer, plug adapters, sewing kit (which was needed for the brides dress!) bottle opener and more. Anything we didn't have, the hotel provided. (They even charged up the brides phone as she left her charger at home).

We ate in the garden restaurant on the Friday evening and the Saturday morning. The food was delicious and very well presented. We also visited the hotel bar (as the wedding bar didn't stock a drink we wanted) and although it had fantastic interior design, it lacked any sort of vibe and the bar man was painfully slow. (It also cost around £50 for 3 rum and cokes, so expect high prices in Zurich). The food served at the wedding was also amazing, and the staff very attentive.

The only other thing missing from our visits to the hotel bar/restaurant was the attentiveness of the staff. We were offered milk, but it didn't arrive...we asked for butter but it also didn't arrive. This was the only negative, but didn't distract from our stay.

On the Friday we decided to visit the spa and found that this was the best part of our stay (apart from the wedding of course). With a lovely jacuzzi and plunge pools outside with stunning views, a massive swimming pool, hot tubs, warm bead baths and a snow room, we really were spoilt!

All in all it was an amazing stay, one that I will never forget. It was a real treat to live the high life in luxury, just for one night!

Room Tip: Choose the newer part of the hotel with views over Zurich
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Mark_Jacob_TDG, Managing Director at The Dolder Grand, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your recent stay at the Dolder Grand and for sharing your detailed feedback with us.

We are delighted to hear that your experience on this special occasion was a memorable one and that we could meet your expectations regarding interior design, furnishing of the guest rooms with its views and the various facilities of our Dolder Grand Spa. Also, we are pleased that you reward not only the dedication and service culture of most of our team but also enjoyed the delights served at the wedding and in our Garden Restaurant. Regarding your comment on the services of our Dolder Grand Bar and Garden Restaurant teams, we sincerely regret that the recent performance was not what you usually expect. Please be assured that the mentioned issues represented an exception to our high standard and that we have thoroughly discussed the critical aspects with the employees and supervisors concerned.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guests and we truly hope to welcome you back to the Dolder Grand on a future occasion. Until then we wish you all the best.

Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Went to the bar. Good views. Lacked atmosphere. Nice for maybe a quiet romantic drink. weri nice place to be...
The hotel does not dissapoint and the service truly is outstanding (exceeded expectation).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark_Jacob_TDG, Managing Director at The Dolder Grand, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your recent visit to the Dolder Grand and for sharing your thoughts with us.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed and appreciated our product and services during your time in the bar. Please be assured that I will forward your encouraging words to my employees, since it will be motivation to the team to carry on their efforts with enthusiasm and joy.

We truly hope to welcome you back at the Dolder Grand on a future occasion.

Yours Sincerely

Surrey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This hotel is in such a lovely part of the world. Standing on a leafy forested hill overlooking Lake Zurich. We only stayed there a night and a day, but I came out so relaxed it felt like more. From driving up to collecting your car keys at the end, you are guided through the hotel by absolute professionals. The reception manager spend 20 minutes guiding up to our room and showing us around, the concierge took us through a map of Zurich and in-depth transport advice - but never did I feel this was just for tips, they genuinely wanted to share their insights with you. The rooms were so sleek, usable and full of technology, they were actually fun to be in. How I wish my very expensive bed at home was that comfortable, I slept like a baby thanks to noiseless AC.

I would recommend doubling this up as a spa break and a city tour. The spa is the best I have been in, with outdoor hot and cold plunge pool and jacuzzi with sun deck, indoor pool and hydrotherapy stations. There was really interesting baths filled with small warm stones which cushion and support your whole body when you lie in them - and are tremendous for an aching back! (Whilst amusingly resembling giant litter trays). Within the huge changing room areas, there are also gender specific spa areas - for those who like to do their spa sessions with no clothes on. Nice touches like apples and crystallise coconut were around the various water stations, which means you can spent a whole day in the spa, whilst there is also a spa menu and smoothie bar. The breakfast included was a la carte and delicious. It came in courses, which meant I did not have to eat for the rest of the day.

Outside of the hotel, there are tennis courts and a network of jogging paths, which had wonderful views, but do be ready for some hill running. There is a olde worldy funicular, which take you into central Zurich which reception can sell you tickets to and is right by the hotel.

Zurich is very very expensive at the moment. The £ to CH exchange rate means you will spend £145 to get a very very average 2 course meal with wine (in the City centre). This hotel in line with global competitors is pricey, but if you price in the huge breakfast and 2 x full spa access (think of it as a full spa day), I think it is actually good value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark_Jacob_TDG, Managing Director at The Dolder Grand, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful headline and review on your stay at the Dolder Grand.

We appreciate your positive overall conclusion of your stay with us and we are delighted to hear that we could meet your expectations in your stay. Please be assured that I will forward your encouraging words to my staff, especially the Front Desk Manager and Concierge Team, since they highly motivate us to continue into the same direction. We are delighted to read that you had an enjoyable time with in-room facilities and culinary highlights throughout your entire stay. At the Dolder Grand, we continuously strive to meet and exceed our guests expectations and we are pleased to forward your positive comment to our Spa Manager.

We truly hope to welcome you back at the Dolder Grand on a future occasion.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Such a relaxing place to stay in...Genuine and non intrusive service. The Spa facilities is one of the best. The breakfast was included in our rate and the menu was pretty extensive and the service was excellent.

Room Tip: make sure you get a balcony. Use the Spa facilities...it's got an amazing pool and lots of faci...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Mark_Jacob_TDG, Managing Director at The Dolder Grand, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your recent stay at the Dolder Grand and for your positive feedback.

We are delighted to read that you appreciated our attentive service culture and thoroughly enjoyed our spa facilities.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon. Until then we wish you all the best.

Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Although I have not been an overnight guest at the hotel, I have been visiting the bars and restaurants in the hotel for years. I visit the Dolder regularly when I'm in Zurich mostly for brunch or early dinner. In the past year, the service at the restaurant and bar have become less professional and it seems like the staff is exchanged very often (I rarely encounter the same service staff twice). First the positive point, the food has always been good, great quality and ingredients. The valet is always friendly as is the welcome staff. The service in the bar and restaurant however have been less pleasant. During my last couple of visits the following things have occurred: Sometimes extras such as tartar sauce to a club sandwich can be granted and sometimes the staff just right out tells me its not possible, even if I tell the staff they were able to make it just 5 days ago (she didn't even go ask if it was possible). The drinks have been given to the wrong person several times without asking who ordered them, and when ordering an ice tea for example they do not ask which one I'd like and just bring a random flavor. The bigger mistakes included bringing a sandwich clearly ordered without ham, with ham, and when brought with ham and pointed out by me, the waiter demanded to take it back to correct. I demanded to keep the sandwich (because we already waited 45 minutes) and take out the ham myself. The waiter just grabbed the plate and brought it to the kitchen under my protest to keep it at the table. My colleagues meals were getting cold while they corrected my sandwich. The accompanying sauce was also not brought even the second time round. The sauce then appeared at the end of the meal when I was done. Upon walking out the waiter wanted to treat me with a little gift as an excuse, by 'not charging for the extra sauce'... which would be a nice gesture if there wouldn't be the fact that in the years I have been going here I was not once charged for extra sauce. A very inappropriate excuse. Several times we had to wait over 45 minutes for a club sandwich and beef tartar and it wasn't busy at all. I wish for the Dolder to make their staff more aware of these situations and bring back the service to the standard they had a year ago (they used to give us glasses of champagne for service mistakes) which made me prefer eating at this hotel over others in Zurich.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

First of all, we would like to thank you for your loyalty as a guest of our two restaurants, the Lobby and our Dolder Grand Bar.

It is disappointing to hear, that your positive impression was compromised by the unsatisfactory last visits and we apologize for the deceptions that you and your colleagues encountered.

Concerning your experiences with our staff, we sincerely regret that you did not feel that they were engaged and to the point. We will certainly review your feedback with all staff members involved in order to prevent similar future occurrences. Furthermore, please be assured that internal communication and intense training of our staff are certainly areas we emphasize most on in our continuous internal training and development program.

We appreciate your understanding and truly hope to welcoming you back to the Dolder Grand again soon. It will be our pleasure to demonstrate an uncompromised quality of our services.

Geneva
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Possibly the best hotel in Zurich and although not "downtown" is easily accessed and has great views. The private dining room provides excellent and discrete service.The room I have had on each stay, while not large, very comfortable. The TV within the mirror in the bathroom is a nice touch.

Room Tip: Lake view on upper floor
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Mark_Jacob_TDG, Managing Director at The Dolder Grand, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Dolder Grand and your gratifying review on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to read that you kept good memories of your stay and that you particularly reward our dedication to an attentive and discrete service culture. I have passed on your very kind words to our The Restaurant team who made your experience possible.

It would be a great pleasure to welcoming you back to the Dolder Grand in the near future. We wish you all the best.

Managing Director

Been to The Dolder Grand? Share your experiences!