“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 123 Hotels in Zurich
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Have stayed in Zurich before but this is the first time we have stayed in a traditional hotel, but it will not be the last. The location is in the heart of the old town and the area was very busy during our visit due to the Sechseläuten an event that takes place in spring. During this event there are two days of parades and in the evening bands marching through the city. The hotel is ideally situated to be able to soak up the atmosphere, but be warned if you are staying during this event the hotel is almost next door to Lindenhof where there are kiosks selling food and beer the bands do play until late. The hotel is very comfortable with super beds and the breakfast is typically Swiss, fresh tasty bread, cheeses, ham eggs boiled to your taste and pastries. They have an excellent restaurant. In conclusion a great place to stay and we will certainly be back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Sitting just yards from where Zurich began over 2500 years ago, you can't beat the location. Having been here since 1474 as an inn, they do know what they're doing.

Everything in Alstadt (Old Zurich) is literally steps away. When they say location, location, location, think of Kindli.

The service here is friendly and reserved. We had a corner room on the second floor , which would be relatively large by European standards. The bathroom was large as well. Rooms here are a bit dated, think maybe early 70s motif. Lots of mauve, pink, green carpet etc, but extremely clean. Lots of storage and the best part, Hastens beds.

Rates aren't cheap, but again, you're paying for location. Breakfast here is pretty much abysmal. Hardly any selection of anything, one pastry, one meat, one cereal, etc. Service at breakfast was non-existent. No hot choices, such as eggs. The closest you'll get is a hard boiled egg. They have no kitchen staff in the AM. This was the most disappointing. Luckily, being in Zurich, you can walk a few steps and find lots of choices.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are the best. Lots of light and windows you can open. Street noise is somewhat minima...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Porto Ronco, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

It's difficult to find a hotel in Zurich that offers anything like value for money, but the Kindli does just that. The staff were very helpful, friendly and tolerant of my indecisiveness (I changed the reservation not once but twice, as our party grew). Our rooms were very pretty, and the hotel is in an ideal location in the beautiful old town - the station is an easy walk, as is Bahnhofstrasse, but you're in the middle of lovely old streets and one-off shops. Recommended.

Room Tip: We had one standard double and one slightly superior double - I would go for the latter next time, a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Petersfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Zurich is very busy in December and hotel rooms can be hard to find. This was my first stay at the Kindli and I found it comfortable and welcoming. Although my room was a very small single at the back of the hotel, it sufficed for my 3 night stay. Breakfast was good and the surroundings pleasant.

A warning to other travellers regarding the hotel restaurant - it is very popular and you do need to book - I didn't and couldn't get a table. As with most restaurants in Zurich, it is also expensive.

Don't miss the Christmas markets - there are little wooden huts down the main & side streets and the big one in the Hauptbahnhof. Even if you are in Zurich on business, it is worth visiting for an hour in the evening.

Room Tip: Single rooms are small but they do have ensuite.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Madrid, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

The hotel and reception staff are nice but if you are a solo lady traveler you might not want to eat dinner in the downstairs restaurant. I have stayed in this hotel twice, once with my daughter and this last visit alone. Both times dinner at the restaurant was rendered unpleasant by the attitude of the staff. Because of this I hesitated in returning, but the hotel is central and the owner seemed very hands on, so I thought I'd give it another try. Shortly after checking in I asked the receptionist if I needed to reserve for dinner and he replied that as it was Sunday night there was plenty of room available. A few moments after walking into the dining room, a young busboy approached and I said that I'd like to dine and that I was alone. Almost exactly as on my first visit, a table was indicated behind me along the lugubriously dark passage from which I had just entered this extremely dim part of the restaurant between where I stood, and the kitchen passageway and unquestionably the worst table in the restaurant. I asked about a table for two facing the well lit empty bar area between two male solo diners, to which the boy answered that they were fully booked even though the restaurant at 7:30 that night was more only 35% full (and never got busier.) He said had to ask as I pointed to another small table slightly closer to the center with better light but still well in the back, where he agreed I could sit.
The same waiter who had served us on our first visit and made ordering such a chore came over with the menu. This waiter categorically refuses to enter into any discussion about what one might order, the same as he did months ago with my daughter, answering any question with "everything is good" (which it might be, but that isn't always the point when ordering). I ordered a principle dish and during the meal, the waiter did ask if it was good and also refilled my glass; to give the devil his due. After I finished, the table was cleared and I waited for him to reset the table and hand me the desert menu neither of which he did. I waited some more and sat and watched as he walked over to one of the many empty tables nearby to change the tablecloth. Then I watched as he walked back and nonchalantly stood some feet away from another table of a party of four who were in the middle of their course. He did not bring me a desert menu, ask if I wanted desert or coffee and nor did he set any more silverware, he did absolutely nothing. For some time longer I continued to sit at an empty table waiting, completely ignored, as the waiter continued to stand near the other table. What kind of restaurant does this? Was he trying to have me beg him for a desert menu? Finally, after about ten to fifteen minutes, I had enough and walked out, back up to the hotel without saying a word, but not before observing an older male hotel guest arrive, also without a reservation, who was immediately greeted and ushered by the busboy to the smiling Maitre D' (yes one does exist but not for me) towards the well lit and cozy front of the restaurant and shown the best table in the place.
Upstairs I told the very nice receptionist everything that had happened and he seemed genuinely concerned and apologised adding he would tell the owner the next day. I told him I'd see her and tell her too, because it was totally unacceptable, and even though I hadn't said anything on my first stay, this time I would.
Who wants wants to be put in a position to have to write a review like this? No one. I am a frequent international business traveler and have never had to write anything remotely like a review like this before and frankly would not do so now were it not for the fact that the next morning at breakfast, the owner, who is a woman, and who makes a point of going over to greet every single guest at breakfast, make me the one exception. She never came over to either greet me or ask me what had happened the previous evening. My table was pointedly ignored as I watched her make the rounds of all the other tables. I was surprised (what owner wouldn't want to hear a guests experience positive or negative? How else to gauge what really goes on and how to improve?)and I can't imagine that I can be the only person this has happened to. Clearly the German Swiss culture still has a VERY BIG problem with the way they treat solo women and this was a prime example because they absolutely don't treat single men the same way. Needless to say, I cannot recommend this unprofessional, discriminatory hotel restaurant and by extension its hotel, as they are the same owner and therefor reflect the same culture.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I´d always avoided the Hotel Kindli, perhaps remembering its folk music reputation, and slightly tatty appearance. But looking at short notice for a room in town, I was offered one of their business appartments, which are across the street in another building.

I was more than pleasantly surprised, as these are fully furnished one room appartments in an old building, just round the corner from where I used to live, and close to the river and Rennweg. There´s a table to eat from, a kitchen niche and all the equipment, and a lots of nice electronic equipment to play with. The decoration is tasteful and stylish. In short, despite the price, I would recommend trying them out, since they´re a more than adequate substitute for the standard rooms in the usual hotel chains.

They´re primarily intended for those staying a week or a month, but perhaps they will let you - like me - have one for a night.

Room Tip: Sometimes available for single nights
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We arrived in the evening to stay at Hotel Kindli for 2 nights after a long flight. Due to a mixup (by the hotel), we were given a room for the night with the promise we would move into one of their apartments around the corner for the next night. Our room in the hotel was very noisy and hot, there is no air-conditioning. Obviously fully booked. We gratefully moved around the corner to a luxury apt the next morning.We have stayed in many serviced apts and this was the best we have stayed in. Nothing was missing, even a torch was supplied.Bed very comfortable, work station fully equipped, scissors etc.Our tip, spend a little extra and take an apartment, it is a 1 minute walk to the hotel if you want breakfast, has a river view, close to everything and easy walking distance to the station.Very quiet, no street noise at all.

Room Tip: We had what would have been called a studio apartment. Much bigger than a hotel room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Haus Zum Kindli? Share your experiences!