“Very interesting” 5 of 5 stars

More attraction details
Attraction Details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Situated in an historic castle, this museum displays a collection of interesting artifacts from throughout Swiss history.
Connecticut
32 attraction reviews
“Very interesting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Located adjacent to train station. Interesting displays. Great collections. Would place it on the not to miss list. Can easily enjoy most of the museum in two hours.

Visited April 2013

• Greek first
  • Indonesian first
canthox
16 attraction reviews
“Eclectic but interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I agree with some of the other comments that the museum feels a bit chaotic but found it an interesting place to visit with the reconstructed medieval rooms of the abbey with their remarkable marquetry and painted ceilings particularly compelling.
The other sections focus on one thing at a time so for example all the clothing from start to finish is in one area rather than being displayed on a chronological tour through the building.
I rather liked this methodology since you could go to a particular room and see all of the related items.

Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
73 attraction reviews
“I wanted to really like it!! I really did!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Although there was some English, and there were guides (I found them difficult to decifer) I really didn't understand much of what I was seeing. There were so many interesting artifacts. It was a bit of a maze going from one topic to the next. The building itself is amazing. I left disappointed. Sorry

Los Angeles, California
68 attraction reviews
“Not my favorite”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I'm not sure how to explain my feelings about this..... The museum is HUGE. There's a ton of information in a very large amalgamation of rooms. Someone else used the term chaotic - that's pretty close to what I felt. Instead of going by time period, the rooms go by subject/category; i.e. you might be viewing political information and history that ends with the current day political structure in one section, then the next section reverts back to the impact of industry on the country; again, starting in the middle ages, ending in current times. And this continued to happen from room to room, so for someone with absolutely zero Swiss history, it was a bit disorienting. In many rooms, there are English explanation boards that you have to pick up and hold from the beginning of the room's exhibit through the end. I'd say that covers maybe 60% of what you'll see, maybe not as in-depth as you want. I did not get the audio guide here, maybe that would help. Although, by the time I got to the Waffen Turm (weapons tower), I had about had it - was pretty bored and did not feel much enlightened about the Swiss. But I went up the tower anyway, and wow - what a great collection of old swords/lances, and an amazing number of old guns (think dueling pistols, the first rifles, etc), even uniforms through the ages -- don't miss this section! I did also enjoy the rooms that had been reassembled from old abbeys/monasteries/churches. I wasn't much interested in the furniture, but that was at the end and I really couldn't wait to get out of there. I almost hate to say how disappointed I was, because it's clear that a ton of effort has gone into the displays, and there is so much there. Perhaps my best advice is to skip what doesn't interest you and move on to the next room - there might be something in there that grabs your attention. I did not get to the two special exhibitions. Remember, if you use your Zurich Card, it's free.

London
3 attraction reviews
“Swiss National Museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Well worth going to - just walk through Bahnhof HB and it is right there. It gives an insight into the history of the Swiss - some fab textiles too. Well designed and fab experience