“more than i expected” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Special Offer
$61*
and up
Zurich Super Saver 1: Best of Zurich City Tour...
Ranked #21 of 96 Attractions in Zurich
Type: History Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Situated in an historic castle, this museum displays a collection of interesting artifacts from throughout Swiss history.
Medan, Indonesia
5 attraction reviews
“more than i expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

i was on the way back from Bern when I happen to pass this museum. i can enter free with my swiss pass and just do it to pass time before it close down 1.5 hours later. it is a very good and systematic museum, it has almost everything you need to understand about Swiss. the display and layouts are smartly done to make visitors flow and understand and absorb the switzerland history and story. I would advise anybody that go to Switzerland for the first time, make this your first stop and it will give you a lot of enlightenment about the country.
it was at world war history section, we are facing one part with not enough lighting and difficult to read description. both me and the other guy were look each other and wondering why this ection do not have good lighting. then I make a remark jokingly "maybe because this part describe the bad part of switzerland" (because the country has ambiguoulsy backing axis line,taking advantage economically of that and blocking the jewish from the country during the war, it went wrong decades later as Swiss has to pay a lot of fund to settle the issue). the guy just smile, then I ask what nationality he is. He is a Switzerland. Bad joke from me :)

This museum also have special exhibition that held separately, when I was there, it is exhibiting the creation of wealthy country evolution from Netherland time to current time China, it is interesting.

Visited October 2012

• Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Wetter, Germany
14 attraction reviews
“Good thing we DIDN'T PAY!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

The building is magnificent from the outside. I was disappointed when we went in. I didn't understand the flow of the exhibition - it felt like they were put there accoring to which artifact they found first - there were too many things all jumbled up! Don't bother paying 5 chf for audio guide - pointless! Not for children as well.

Thessaloniki, Greece
24 attraction reviews
“A "must visit" place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We enjoyed our visit in this Museum. You can see the History of Switzerland in a very educational way.

Visited July 2012
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
21 attraction reviews
“Terrific place to learn about Swiss history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is a wonderful place to learn about Swiss history. At the start of the self tour, there is a computerized explanation of Swiss history to medieval times provided in several languages. I was impressed by the overview of information provided which made me spend more time looking at the exhibits. In addition to the 'fixed' history exhibit, others are also available. There was a modern art instillation when I was there. I did not attend because I don't care for modern art, but it would be worthwhile for those who are interested in that sort of thing. The history exhibits also provide information on how the Swiss government is structured. It was interesting for me personally to see the differences between how the Swiss exercise democracy and compare that to the US.

Visited July 2012
Lake Stevens, Washington
22 attraction reviews
“Visit if you have nothing else to do”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was covered by the Swiss pass and I am really glad we didn't pay to get in. The layout was clumsy and the attractions only partially understandable in English. It was extremely long and drawn out with either too much information or not enough as a whole. We went in October 2011

Visited December 2011