“Excellent hotel - nice quite location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Zurich Messe

You added Holiday Inn Zurich Messe to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Zurich Messe
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wallisellenstrasse 48, Zurich 8050, Switzerland (Oerlikon)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #50 of 123 Hotels in Zurich
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
“Excellent hotel - nice quite location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

LOCATION: The hotel is located a few minutes away from the tram station. It is a nice quiet neighborhood with a coop and other stores within walking distance.

LOBBY: Nice lobby with very helpful personnel. Located beside their restaurant. which serves a nice selection of meals.

ROOMS: Spacious rooms with very comfortable beds and pillows. Free Internet access is a very positive addition. Coffee station was also available. However, there was no mini-bar in the room. The bathroom was nice and spacious, with a bathtub - but there was a sliding glass door which could not be locked, which may be inconvenient for some. Blind in the room were electronically controlled.

Overall, an excellent option if you are visiting Zurich for business or pleasure.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
GMHIZM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Zurich Messe, responded to this review, May 6, 2010
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the very favorable review. We are very happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we thank you for the time you have spent writing down all of your detailed comments. Since it is our philosophy to constantly improve all details of our hospitality and to make our guest's stay as enjoyable as possible we appreciate your opinion.

Positive Reviews like yours are very rewarding for our team, thank you very much for your support.

Michael Deutsch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Jerusalem, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

Located about ten minutes taxi ride (about 16 CHF) from the airport, this is a very convenient business hotel for a short stay. As it is close to the fair grounds the area is "utilitarian". A short bus ride (frequent) into the Oerlikon suburb with shops and food. The hotel is newly built, spotless, quiet (despite location). Rooms are nicely appointed, excellent for a business stay with rapid access to internet. Excellent staff. Beautifully run - like a Swiss clock!!
Less than ideal for meetings in Zurich as it takes about 30 minutes by tram into the city center but that is more than made up for by the far better value for the money.
Food selection in hotel is fairly limited but I did not find that a problem.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
GMHIZM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Zurich Messe, responded to this review, May 7, 2010
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review. We are very happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we thank you for the time you have spent writing down all of your detailed comments. Since it is our philosophy to constantly improve all details of our hospitality and to make our guest's stay as enjoyable as possible we appreciate your opinion.

lancaster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

We needed to be near the theatre11 where the blue men group show was showing..it was 200 yds away. It is only an interesting 20min tram ride from the rail station.The rooms were comfortable and very clean, Great shower..not so sure about the glass door to the bathroom! It was rather hot in the rooms overnite and we couldnt fathom the Air Con but it had been icy temps the week before it was so sunny during our stay ..and maybe the hotel had not adjusted. The duvets made it too warm. needed a seperate sheet The breakfast was excellent. We had read reviews that it was awful and not worth the money..it is to be recommended. All staff were courteous and helpful. Ice machine on the corridor. Hair dryer and coffee machine was welcome as was the safe. Very good thank you

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

nice,clean and safe hotel for solo female travellers. Very helpful staff at the reception. tram stops just 2 minutes walk from the hotel (tram no 11), so its convenient to travel to city centre. Shower and bathtub was roomy compared to other hotels.Very pleasant stay and i would definitely go back again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Dear guest,

The compliments for our staff are very much appreciated and have been forwarded to the relevant people.

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

Dates of Stay: 19 March - 22 March 2010
Room 432
Room Description: 2 single beds, each with two pillows and soft duvet cover. Bedside table in between with phone and access to electric outlet. (No clock) Room smaller than expected for two people at a Holiday Inn, even in Europe. Room had desk with internet access and lamp. Flatscreen tv with about 20 channels mostly in German, French, and English but some also in Russian, Arabic, Italian, and Chinese. Window opened barely and had blackout screen which was controlled by switches next to entrance door. We kept blackout screen closed for the most part due to apartment building just across the way so lack of privacy could be an issue. They worked fine but prevented air circulation. A/C not working in March, and room was stuffy due to outside temperature in 60's (upper teens celsius) and humid due to rainy, cloudy weather. Room had small closet with about 10 hangers. Safe located in closet and ample size for notebook computer. One coat hanger over built-in luggage rack also. Bathroom had tub/shower, sink, and toilet. Room had wooden floor.
Hotel Description: First floor included restaurant, bar/snack area, computer room with two free computers and printer, and front desk. All very clean and efficient. Restaurant pricey and food just so so. We ate there the second of our three nights since it was raining, and we were tired from a day trip to Liechtenstein (highly recommended). The food was bland, the portions small for the money, and the price high. We didn't use the bar so no comments on prices or free snacks during happy hour. Computers worked great as I used them due to slow wifi connection in room(see later section).
Positives: Staff was very efficient and professional. I asked them to make several reservations which they did with smiles. One reservation for Sunday brunch at Bohemia was incorrect-not sure if HOliday Inn's fault or restaurant's. We were to arrivie at 11:15, but the restaurant said they had held the table for an hour and that the reservation was until 11:15. Weird, but they did find us a table 5 minutes later. I had emailed a request for one that did not take internet reservations, and Sara Pester at the front desk made it just perfectly. Ironically, I decided it was too pricey and went to the desk to have it cancelled, and Sara was working. We laughed about it. I thanked her for her prompt and efficeint service. The room was clean and was cleaned to my high standards each day. The hotel, although located away from city center, was in a great place to use Zurich's fantastic transportation system, Two busses stopped at the front door-literally 2 meters. To catch the bus to Zurich center, you had to cross the street to the expo center side and walk about 20 meters or you could walk about 100 meters and catch the tram. The #11 tram goes to the heart of the city. Arriving from the airport, take tram #10 to the Leutschenbach stop and change for #11. Just hop off and wait at the same spot. When you arrive at Messe Hallenstadion, look east to see the Holiday Inn. If you head southeast from the tram stop, there is a gas station about 100 meters up the hill where we bought beer, wine, and snacks at a reasonable price. There was an ice machine just down the hallway from the room as well. To access the rooms via the elevator, one had to have a key card to reach a floor-good security. One more positive, they had a free postcard in the stationery section so I requested 10 more to send-yes, I can be cheap, but it was also free advertising-the housekeeper didn't understand English well or my broken German but called her supervisor, and I received my 10 additional postcards very soon afterwards.
Negatives: Internet was my biggest inconvenience negative. I tried to use my computer, but very often, I would be logged off due to a weak signal. This meant going back to the Connect icon on my computer, deselecting, and then reselecting. Next, I had to relog on to the Holiday Inn connection. 5 minutes or more wasted! The connection was slow also and did not do streaming video well. No ice bucket so had to improvise to collect ice. NO refrigerator in room. As mentioned earlier, A/C didn't work so stuffy at times. Small space for two people also as mentioned earlier. Another negative, which was actually more personal in nature than room related, was the fact that they did not acknowledge my Gold Priority Club status. I expect to be upgraded as I was every night on my Australian trip last September. I at least expect a warm greeting about my status. Even though we arrived very early, just after 8 am, I also expected to be put in a room. The person checking me in said the hotel was full the night before and claimed such for the weekend. Usually, when the hotel is full, there are lots of "Do Not Disturb" signs on the doors in the early morning, and I didn't see more than a couple. Also, I was told that they had no upgrade rooms with two beds. This story just seemed fishy to me! So yes, the staff was professional, made reservations, and was always friendly, but how much was an act and how much was sincere? Some more negatives-there was only one large towel in the room when we arrived-positive side-they brought a second towel in less than 5 minutes when I called.
Neutral (like Switzerland ha ha)-I didn't use the exercise room so no comment there. There was a pool down the street but there was a charge, but I didn't want to swim anyway. The convention center across the street had a home and garden show and was always busy so that could be a positive or a negative depending if you are attending something.
Zurich: Clean, safe, efficient city that ran like clockwork-love the transportation options. We bought 3 day Zurich card which was good for all local transportation including to/from the airport, free museum entrance (only did Swiss National museum which was well worth the visit), some other discounts, and a free welcome drink at several restaurants. Note: It was an honor system, and we didn't get stopped once even though we had a validated ticket-also on the train from Zurich to Sardanz, no one ever checked our ticket which we didn't validate because we could find macine with large enough slot! We went to Zeughauskeller the first night and received a free Kir. We enjoyed the food so much we went back the last night although the service was better the first time. Have the front desk make reservations as it gets crowded, and you have to share tables with others but no problem there. It's just steps from the Paradaplatz tram stop, on the #11 line so very easy to reach from hotel. I also highly recommend a half day trip to Vaduz, Liechtenstein. Take the train to Sardanz and then the easy bus connection to Vaduz. Ask the bus driver to let you off at Vaduz Post. It's so quaint and pictureesque with the castle up above the city. Although I could find no tacky souvenir shops in Zurich, there were several in Vaduz, and some included Swiss items.
To sum up, I would stay here again-the rate of 10,000 priority points and US$30 plus 2,50 CHF tax per day per person was not bad. They need to treat their loyalty program people more special. The breakfast was 24CHF so I didn't try. It seemed very expensive for a buffet. There should be a discount in the restaurant for hotel guests as well. I like the 2 for 1 breakfast at Solmelia hotels with their reward card, but they have no locations in Zurich. It was a great little weekend jaunt, and I'm glad I went. The positives outweighed the negatives, but I would only give the hotel a 3 rating on TripAdvisor.com as compared to other places I've stayed around the world.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
GMHIZM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Zurich Messe, responded to this review, April 1, 2010
Dear guest,

Since it is our philosophy to constantly improve all details of our hospitality and to make our guest's stay as enjoyable as possible we appreciate that you took the time to inform us about your observations and experiences during your stay with us.

Thank you very much for the mostly favorable review and for the compliments on the friendlyness of our staff.

Just a few points where we would like to make a statemement:

Arrival and room assignement:

When you arrived in the morning of the 19th March 2010 we could not immediately give you a room as not only our hotel but the entire city was fully booked the night before. Unfortunately your travel plans coincided with the BASELWORLD the worlds most important Watch and Jewellery Fair. Although this fair is taking place one hour away from Zurich the demand for rooms is so huge that people even book rooms in Lucerne which is more than two hours away from the fair. As for the upgrade it is true what our staff told you: the hotel does not have any Executive rooms with twin beds therefore it was not possible to upgrade you as you had requested a twin bedded room. Also we would like to mention that The Priority Club Gold Status does not entitle you to an upgrade as the Platinum status does. The upgrades you received in Australia were a courtesy of the hotel. We usually also upgrade our guests when they stay on a reward night to thank them for the loyalty towards our hotel chain but unfortunately in your case it could not be done due to the missing twin bedded Executive rooms. As for the roomsize please note that a size of 20 squaremeters for a standard room is normal in Zurich. We fully agree that in other countries this might seem quite small.

A/C:

Zurich is one of Europe’s most environmental friendly cities and the regulations for A/C systems are very strict especially for new buildings like our hotel. It is forbidden to have an A/C running when the outside temperature is below 20 degree centigrade. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do in this case. You will have the same problem in most of the hotels in Zurich.

Food and Beverage:

We are sorry that our restaurant did not meet your expectations regarding quality and size of meals. Your comments have been forwarded to our Food & Beverage Manager & Executive Chef and they will check what you had for dinner and how it can be improved in the future. As for the prices we would like to mention that our restaurant and also our breakfast buffet are priced below comparable hotels in Zurich as we also want to attract people from outside visiting the Exposition Center or the Hallenstadion Event Dome.

These are a few comments just for your information and to answer some of your doubts.

Again we would like to thank you for having chosen our new Holiday Inn Zürich Messe and for the time you have spent writing down all of your detailed comments. We would be very pleased to see you again on your next trip to Zurich. Please let me know and I will do everything to make your stay an enjoyable one.

U.S.A.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

This is actually a pretty good hotel for the money.

No frills + free interest + clean + competent staff.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Dear guest,

The compliments on our staff are highly appreciated and have been forwarded to them.

Tasmania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

Great modern big clean room, excellent conditions, lovely staff, 2 min walk to tram where it's on 15-20 min into city centre. Travelled Europe for 7 weeks and this was the best hotel on our travels. Room was a bit hot at night, but the staff said they could've controlled this and made it cooler, so don't be afraid to speak up! Free WIFI down stairs and use of computers!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Michael Deutsch

Been to Holiday Inn Zurich Messe? Share your experiences!