“Good hotel, but never in summer” 3 of 5 stars

Leonardo Boutique Hotel Rigihof Zurich
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Universitatstrasse 101, Zurich 8033, Switzerland   |
Ranked #101 of 126 Hotels in Zurich
Miami, Florida
“Good hotel, but never in summer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2006

This is nice Bauhaus style hotel, located in a nice area 5 minutes by tram (Lines 9 and 10) from the Main Train Station (Haupbanhof). People at the front desk is correct (swiss are friendly and polite people, but sometimes a bit too cold), some of them can give better information than others.
The Pros: they have free Internet in two computers: one is located in the lobby and one in a business center in the second floor. They have a printer there too, just in case you need to print something.
The other Pro: breakfast is great, and it is serverd in a lovely terrace. They have several kind of charcuterie, good swiss cheeses, home made jam made of different berries, cereals, assorted breads, yoghurt, etc. You will not need lunch after that.
Now the bad things: rooms are too small (althought lovely decoration), and EXTREMELY HOT!!! Althought the temperature dropped down outside to 22 degrees Celsius during the night (70 Farhenheit), the room stayed so warm during all the night that I almost couldn't sleep the four nights I stayed there.
The rooms that you get booking by Expedia are the ones facing the street. The street is nosy, due to the tram that runs from 5 AM to 1 AM, so we couldn't have the window open neither.
I tried to change for a room looking to the quiet back street, but they wanted to charge me 50 extra US dollars (and we still would not get A/C), so we didn't accepted.
My conclusion: it is a nice hotel if you stay from September to May. Avoid it in summer.

Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

Well what can I say? This hotel was a big let down. On arrival, they had cancelled my colleagues reservation without reason. The rooms were below average and old.

It was nice to see some books on Carl Jung in my room, however they were all in the local language - not very useful for foreigners.

Check-in experience was well below average... the restaurant was terrible. I had to approach the staff who were chatting on their mobiles for a menu (after waiting 20 minutes). The food that arrived was terrible and the waiter acted as though he was doing me a huge favour by attending to me (which I had to promt him to do!). I waited 25 minutes before someone took my order (again after being prompted) and when the food finally arrived 45 minutes later it was terrible.

Basically, I felt depressed staying at this hotel. I looked around for other places to stay but they were all booked out so I had to grin and suffer the rest of the week.

If you have alternative options, please pursue them. Do not waste your money here.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2006

The Hotel Rigihof in Zurich was okay. That's the only way I can describe it.
The introduction to the hotel was a bit strange. There was a guy at the checkout desk who had NO IDEA what was going on. When checking in I was told that I had no reservation. I offered by reservation code and told him that I had confirmed the previous day. I also told him that my brother was joining me and perhaps he had already checked in.
He passed me on to his colleague who typed in my name and pulled up the reservation right away.
The hotel is a bit of a walk to Old Zurich and the Central business district is either a tram/taxi ride away. The area around the hotel is dead.
Great if you are visiting the University for a conference, etc.
Rooms were clean.

• Stayed May 2006
Devon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2006

We have just spent a night at the Rigihof. Receptionists were helpful & charming, greeting us with a glass of wine on arrival. Our 2 double rooms however were small, very noisy with a tram running outside the window till late at night, had no dressing table or comfortable chair & a bedside light was broken. The double bed had a single duvet which needed replacing late in the evening. The bathroom was miniscule & very poorly lit & the shower was ancient & difficult to work. This 4* hotel was a great disappointment & spoilt the enjoyment of our first trip to Zurich.

• Stayed May 2006
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2006

We just stayed at the Rigihof for two nights 29/04 - 1/05. It was in a very convenient location from the main rail station ('Hauptbahnhof or HB when you are buying tickets at the airport), with it being a teeny tiny walk from Winkelriedstrasse tram stop (lines 9/10).
The room was light and airy with windows that opened up to let in some cool refreshing air. The washroom was spotless with great toiletries and a perfectly powerful shower!
The explanation of which room you were in, with a written hisptory and the headboard of art made it such a unique atmosphere. The bed was soft and comfortable. I think we lucked out because we didn't get the two twins shoved together.
The staff on reception were very friendly and helpful. They fielded all of our questions, even if we didn't really ask them clearly.
Breakfast was a bonus as it helped sustain us for the long walks we took around the city. We would definitely stay here again... if it is cheaper than Adler's hotel. Not that we think it would be nicer to stay there, but we are addicted to the fondue!

• Stayed April 2006
New England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2006

We stayed at the Rigihof during an overnight in Zurich. It's a terrific hotel, especially if you like unique properties or architectural gems. Getting there from the Hauptbahnhof was quick and easy on the super-efficient tram system. We stayed in the Thomas Mann room. It was smallish (by US standards, though not by European ones), although plenty large enough for two of us. Comfortable bed, clean stylish decor. Very friendly staff at check-in offered us a glass of wine and recommendations for dinner. The breakfast was served in the stylish adjacent Restaurant Bauhaus, and was one of the best we have had in a European hotel. Would have rated a 5-star review except for the lukewarm water in the shower in the morning (although, granted, we woke late when most of the water had probably already been used!). Overall, a great hotel and one we will use again.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2006

We stayed at this hotel in July 2005 for three nights. We booked a standard room for 2 people. The hotel's location is near the University district. Not a bad location, as there was even a laundromat just up the street. The hotel is also a short above-ground metro/trolley ride to the anywhere the system can take you in Zurich. If you choose to walk, things are not far away either and the walks are actually enjoyable. The hotel is well-kept and the free internet access is welcomed. The rooms are very small, howevever, but not so small as to be uncomfortable. However, my major complaint was that there was no A/C in the rooms. Therefore, the only ventilation for the hot summer days was a fan or to open the window, which could be quite noisy. I would like to stay here again, but without an A/C system, it can be uncomfortable sleeping and when you get back from a hot day to a hot room, not very comforting. The breakfast included is fantastic and the nice balcony where to eat is great as well. For the price, this hotel is not bad with the included breakfast. However, until A/C is installed in the rooms, I might try another hotel for at least the summer.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Leonardo Boutique Hotel Rigihof Zurich? Share your experiences!