“Wonderful meal and genuine good service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Samses

Samses
Langstrasse 231, Zurich 8005, Switzerland (Gewerbeschule)
044 440 13 13
Cuisines: Vegetarian
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Gewerbeschule
Canberra, Australia
“Wonderful meal and genuine good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I have been meaning to write this review for a while now as this was by far the best dinner experience we had on our 2014 Europe trip. It was quite a walk to Samses and it started to rain on the way so we arrived a little damp and cold and without a booking. At first it didn't look like we would get a table but as luck would have it someone made way for us and the waiter brought us complimentary shots of the soup of the day which warmed us up. I quickly decided on the buffet as the small selectiion looked spectacular and I wasn't disappointed. My partner decided on the Cordon Bleu something neither of us had tried before. It was not something I would have every day but was a definite treat.

The atmoshpere at Samses was so much better than Hiltl where you feel a bit like you are on a conveyer belt. It has a lovely wine bar feel which inspired me to try the vegan Gwurtztraminer - superb!

After seeing the manager handing out fabulous reuseable takeaway bags we talked to him about waste and his drive to encourage people to bring their own containers and bags. The Samses bag has a clever cartoon designed by a local artist with rabbits having a picnic. He gave us one of the last bags and it is my favourite find from our trip. Samses truely is a compassionate restaurant that lives up to its values and reputation for great food!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, Canada
“Amazing service and great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

My friend had a nut allergy and the hostess was super helpful in pointing out the dishes that contain nuts. Her French and English skills were spectacular. Food was amazing. Would definitely recommend this place.

Finland
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Excellent vegetarian lunch buffet. I would definitely go back. The location should be on the northern side of the railway (tripadvisor map seems to locate it 500 m too south to the southern side, check the restaurant webpages).

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Strasbourg
“Would definitely go back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Good - easy to get to (just off Limmat Platz - we went before going to a concert at X-tra), you can eat à la carte or from the buffet or both, large choice of vegetarian and vegan options (even had vegan wine!), buffet quite large, food delicious and creative, waitress was charming, helpful and spoke English, food from the buffet was heated up
Not-so-good - ate too much to try the desserts :-(, slightly pricey (but good for Zurich), small restaurant (booking definitely necessary)
I'm not vegetarian, but I'm willing to give up meat if I could eat Samses food every day!

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful, creative food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I found this restaurant by accident and loved it so much that I went back every other night that I was in Zurich. I had the veggie burger the first night, it was a bit messy but absolutely, incredibly, delicious. Other nights I had to have take-away since the restautant was fully booked. I sampled a little of everything I could fit into the box and each dish was wonderful... some Indian, some Thai and some Swiss flavoured, each was great. It is obvious to me that the head chef is creative and inventive and can make a complete vegetarian meal healthily. I can't imagine a better veg restautant.

• Visited January 2014