“Favorite restaurant in Zurich” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Samses

Samses
Langstrasse 231, Zurich 8005, Switzerland (Gewerbeschule)
044 440 13 13
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #51 of 1,383 Restaurants in Zurich
Cuisines: Vegetarian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Takeout, Buffet, Late Night
Neighborhood: Gewerbeschule
St. Gallen, Switzerland
“Favorite restaurant in Zurich”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is a truly excellent vegetarian only restaurant. The staff is very friendly and you can sit at a low or high table or have take-away. There is a menu or what I prefer is the self service counter where a great selection of different foods is to be found, guaranteeing to never get bored as a vegetarian. They really make an effort to create new things and keep a high standard. I heartily recommend this to anyone, even if you like meat it's really worth a try. My favorite restaurant in Zurich!

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Tasty but risky”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

One of our party has a milk allergy and so we asked the waiter to rule out any dishes with milk products. We ordered only items that we were told were completely vegan. It was soon obvious that the waiter had made at least one mistake.

The food was pretty tasty, though.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Canada
“Pure Vegetarian Restaurant and Pure Awesomeness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Zurich is truly a great choice for a vegetarian holiday, with at least four 100% pure vegetarian restaurants. I ended my vegetarian holiday in Zurich with Samses. It was last, but certainly not least. The food here is amazing. It is a small restaurant, and every dish is prepared with love by the 2 owners. And yes, it is a pure vegetarian restaurant. No meat whatsoever in this place, which makes it even more awesome.

I liked it so much, I came here twice! The first time, I stopped by for a dessert: I had this cool vegan chocolate mousse thing. I wish I wrote down its name, so that I could have referred others to it. That was during the day, and I saw that they had their buffet out.

The next day, I returned during the evening, when they have much more choices, through their a la carte services. I ordered their Indonesian Dish, which was one of the best meals I have ever had anywhere. If you can only visit Samses once, get that dish.

The ambiance of Samses is perfect for a special date. It is not as loud as Hiltl, but not as plebeian as Tibits. It has a Manhattan alternative vibe about it, with a bit of darkness, illuminated by romantic candles. This is where I would take that special someone.....or just go and treat myself. The neighborhood is in a young happening place, so you'll have fun walking around. I suggest going in the evening, since a lot more happens there. You don't have to deal with tourists, either. Totally safe and fun area.

The service is great. Every server cares about your dining experience, and one of the owners always checks if you like the food. You are not taken for granted at Samses; you are valued as a customer. The Swiss welcoming nature is totally evident here.

Finally, the price: it is very affordable to eat at Samses. Way cheaper than Hiltl, and about the same price as Tibits. While they may not have as much selection as Hiltl, the food quality and selection are way better than Tibits.

On my next visit to Zurich, I am definitely coming back here for numerous meals. Thank you to everyone at Samses! :)

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lucerne, Switzerland
“A lot of options”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

The place offer the option to serve from a very tasty buffet or a la carte or a mix of both. The atmosphere is nice and the service very friendly
I loved their 'Exotic' courses

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Northumberland
“Great vegetarian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Really tasty food in a buzzing local restaurant, about 20 minutes walk from the central station. Very nice not to have meat shovelled at you as you do in the rest of Switzerland! Nice atmosphere and decor.

• Visited June 2012