“Good for tourists (authentic) but not a great business hotel” 3 of 5 stars

City-Hotel Ochsen Zug
Am Kolinplatz 11, Zug CH 6300, Switzerland   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Zug
Reigate, United Kingdom
“Good for tourists (authentic) but not a great business hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

It depends what you want.. I only booked this hotel as all the hotels in Zug were fully booked due to a local Catholic holiday (!?!) so...
What was good... Nice bed, nice room (I had a junior suite-nothing else available - comfy bed, decent bathroom, great TV! Most freeview UK channels -yay! ( not seen this in other hotels in Zug) restaurant was good..but expensive!
What wasn't ..well ... No wifi except in lobby, but you can get Internet via cable ( no good for iPads!). Only 1 lift! And no lift to the 5th floor so I had to lug my heavy case :-( breakfast was awful - didn't bother after the first exposure... Would rather get breakfast at work... The tea was weak and insipid and there was no warm food - no scrambled eggs, bacon or toast :-( bread jam cheese and butter:-(
If I was on holiday I would love this hotel, it was authentic and very Swiss - but when on business this hotel did not fulfil my basic criteria hence the mediocre rating.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hegglin, Manager at City-Hotel Ochsen Zug, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Anna-Lisa

It took a while but finally we’d like to reply to your review. First of all: thank you very much for your review! We appreciate very much any input and feedback.

It is correct that we provide internet access in our hotel rooms just via a cable (that you can borrow for free at our front office desk). We offer free Wi-Fi in our hotel lobby though. Our original philosophy was to provide all our guests a healthy and good sleep with as little radiation as possible. Therefore we didn’t provide Wi-Fi in our hotel rooms so far. Recently we recognized that more and more Business guests are travelling without a notebook and therefore are unable to use the internet via cable. Hence we decided to offer free Wi-Fi in all the hotel rooms from next year.

You’re right, our lifts (probably you didn’t see the 2nd lift-sorry, but there are two) are just going up to the 4th floor and in order to reach our 5th floor you have to walk up a flight of steps. Normally we offer our guests who are up there assistance with their luggage and I’d like to apologize that nobody offered you any help with your luggage. I’ll discuss this matter with my front office staff.

I am very sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy our breakfast buffet. During the past weeks we “worked” on our breakfast offer and can inform you today that we extended it like follows: beside a range of bread and rolls, butter, home-made jams, local honey, cheese, salami, ham, cold meat, home-made Bircher muesli, yoghurts, cereals, fresh fruit, a variety of juices and hot drinks we offer now as well toast and a variety of egg dishes.

I would like to apologize once more for any inconvenience caused and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again to our hotel in the near future.

Regards

Matthias Hegglin
Managing Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We enjoyed this hotel - maybe because we had one of the nicer rooms facing the front, very spacious, nicely decorated, with a little sitting corner in the 'tower' where you could look down on all the action in the square. It was pricey as with everything in Switzerland. Staff was helpful and friendly enough (not overly warm as is the case in most Swiss establishments but very helpful). I would recommend this hotel to someone looking for something extremely well-located in the center of the city with a bit of character and willing to pay for it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

If the hotels in Zug are really as expensive as other reviews here imply (this was my first stay in the city), then the Ochsen probably has value for money in its favour. The staff are reasonably friendly too, although not exceptionally so, and this should in any case be a given in this business. There is little else to recommend it, aside from the fact that, like all Swiss hotels I have stayed in, everything was exceptionally clean and tidy.

At check-in, I was asked if I would require internet access. When I replied that I would, I was handed a coil of ethernet cable, which was of little use with my iPad. I asked whether there was wifi anywhere, to which the receptionist replied that there was wifi in the lobby. She then checked under the counter, presumably where the router was located, and corrected herself that there was in fact no wifi at all that evening.

The room was utterly bare, with minimal furniture and no pictures to adorn the harshly whitewashed walls. Despite staying in the more modern annex at the back of the hotel, the electric cables in the room were contained in plastic trunking round the walls, rather than being concealed behind the plaster. And to complete the overall prison-effect of the decor, the room had only a single bed, which is not something I have seen since I used to sleep in one myself at 11 years of age.

The bathroom was decorated with beige tiling, presumably having last been decorated in the early 1990s, and came supplied with harsh, threadbare towels that would more normally be used for drying dishes. In place of toiletries, there was simply a single, wall-mounted soap dispenser, handily within reach of both sink and shower.

The bed was not uncomfortable, but this was largely irrelevant as the bells in the next door church tower chimed at regular intervals all night, making sleep impossible.

I'll probably put a bit more effort into choosing a hotel if I ever find myself in Zug again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

this is just the kind of place i would have loved to stay in this cute little Swiss town.. I was told that the hotel building is about 400-500 years old..the hotel is located in the heart of the town facing the Zug lake and close to a no. of restaurants..the hotel itself has the wondeful heritage look..Service was good. the hotel staff were very warm and engaging not aloof like a typical european hotel..

Room Tip: One should be careful about choosing the room as the size of the rooms varies considerably. its bett...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I travel to Zug at least once a month and hotels in the town are expensive. This one is right in the heart of the old town and is one of the least expensive within the town itself.

The rooms are funished with stripped pine furniture and pine floors. My room was inside one of the turrets you can see on the photo and it gave a lovely seating area to watch the world go by. The room wasn't big, but it was a single room and all I needed was somewhere to sleep really.

This is one of very few hotels where I slept well and felt refreshed. Great beds!

It was spotlessly clean, the shower room was modern and again spotlessly clean. The room was very warm as the heating was on, but the air con was pretty efficient, although it only works when your key is in the switch.

Also, it's worth noting that the room doesn't automatically lock - you have to turn the lock on the inside, and actually lock it with the key when you leave. I'm so used to doors which automatically lock behind me that this was a surprise!

Breakfast was nice, it's a large bright room and a good cold buffet which is frequently replenished. Loads of cheeses, several yogurts, enough to have something different every day!

I did use the restaurant, the food would have been delicious had it not been swimming in butter. Fabulous service, they really look after you - perhaps a little over the top (I saw the waiter bring the meat joint out to show a family who all swooned over it before he took it back into the kitchen to serve??) but they are so polite and nothing is too much trouble.

The restaurant is a bit pricy: 60 CHF for two courses (the cheapest on the menu) with one glass of wine and water.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Coppell, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

The hotel is a few meters away from a main street so traffic noise is not excessive. Although I did not drive I noticed that parking a car in the hotel's vicinity can be problematic. No fitness center. All staff I spoke with understood and conversed well in English. Room was tight on space. Just under one week set my company back almost USD1,000! I'm not sure this hotel is good value. The breakfast was full, probably my favorite aspect of this hotel. Clean and orderly.

Room Tip: The hotel features a lift. One lift. If the hotel will be fully occupied be prepared to lug your bag...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I have stayed at some expensive hotels in my time. But this one takes the biscuit.
I had to stay here on business for a few nights. Its over priced, the rooms are sparsely furnished, for a similar price one can stay two to three miles outside of Zug and get a lot more bang for buck. Its very close to the clock tower, so don't expect a restful nights sleep.

Room Tip: public transport is very efficient in Switzerland so consider staying further a little outside of Zu...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to City-Hotel Ochsen Zug? Share your experiences!