“Not a 4star hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Montreux
Montreux
“Not a 4star hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel only for one night and I'm happy about it. The check in is at the royal plaza opposite the street. The room that I got was a joke (room 209). It was tiny and dark and with a view on a wall! I booked it for 2 people but honestly there isn't even space for one.. Staying in this hotel feels like being in a usual budget hotel. There is no staff around so you feel pretty helpless as a guest if you need something. No value for the money. Montreux has many more hotels on that price range therefore I would not recommend staying in this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the train station. It took us a while to figure out that we had to check in at the larger Royal Plaza Hotel, across the road but the information was on the gate outside. When we got back to the room we were taken aback by the size and quality of it for what we paid. The beds were comfortable and gave us all a good nights sleep. Breakfast was served at the Royal Plaza and was very good. You are able to use all the facilities at the Royal Plaza but as this was only a short stay we declined the invitation as we wanted to make to most of our short stay. I would certainly stay here again and knowing what I do now would take full advantage of the leisure facilities.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed here one night and wish could prolong my stay.
Little romantic hotel on main road, Absolutely clean and well maintained though it is little old. I just love my room as it was so comfortable. See the picture attached. Not that far from train station ( about 1 km or less). If no big luggage , anyone should be able to walk. Anyhow, there is free city bus service running around Montreux. You need to get the free card from the hotel. The bus stop is just outside the hotel corridor and runs every 10 mins day time. Can use it from/to train station. I find it really convenient. You can just sit in the bus and go around the city and return to hotel stop. The buses are running till midnight everyday.

The check in need to be done at Royal Plaza hotel which is just the opposite. I guess it is being ran by the same management. Then they give you the room key and secret access code to Villa Toscane .You can use all the facilities in the Royal Plaza Hotel (4 star) as well. Free internet service. The all 3 receptionist staffs that handled me were excellent. Gave me good information about the city and also the city buses. They also helped to store my luggage for free after check out next morning. They were so friendly yet good and I decided to tip 2 euro each upon checking out. Maybe this might not be the case for everyone..!!! Every human is different.

Some guest also gets the oppotunity of upgrading to Royal Plaza when they book Villa Toscane. You got to be lucky for that.. But believe me, you will never regret even staying in Villa Toscane. I enjoyed it.

When we go places , we just need the clean room for changing, shower and good sleep.
They provide more than that......

Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We did not had any reservation and chose this cute villa. It sounded like a romantic hide away. When we arrived at the hotel we could not find the check in. We called the number and heard that the check in is opposite at the "Royal Plaza" Montreux. It took us 10 minutes to check in. Which is far too long for a check in. Then they "upgraded" our room which was with a tiny and long bath. 2 people cannot be in it at the same time. 2 beds pushed together and a tiny closet. The bathroom looked dated (except the LED shower) in it's bahama beige colour and 70s style floor tiles. I am curious what a "regular" room looks like.
I expect more comfort and service from a 4* hotel.

Room Tip: Look at the rooms before. Maybe there are some which are spaceous or not so dated.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Villa Toscane. We felt very much like we were staying at a 5* hotel, not a 4* hotel as all the ammeneties of the Royal Plaza you are invited to use. We took full advantage heading to the sauna, pool and jacuzzi.

Our room (junior suite) was very clean, and seemed modern. Found a few silverfish around the bed though which I quickly squashed to prevent them hiding in our luggage!! Didn't see anymore after that though.

The room was really large and impressive. Bed very comfortable. We were right by the main entrance & road so noisy at times, but nothing that you wouldn't expect of a hotel room. Not at all bad enough to keep you awake at night! And I would happily take the same room again.

It's very well located, a short walk from the train station. We were given a free transport card for our time there to use on all the buses/trains, and to give discount on boats/cable cars etc. It's perfectly situated by the lake, within 10 minutes walk to the town centre. 10 mins bus to Vevey and 10 mins bus to Chillon. Overall the perfect little place to stay.

Room Tip: We had the junior suite which was pretty spectacular connsidering we only paid £80 a night
Europe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We only stayed here for 1 night. Because I read the reviews before we knew what to expect. The hotel is very old. Our room had two bathrooms, funny and practical. We slept very well in the bed, no problems. We havn't had breakfast (very expensive!!). We had a TV and a fridge in the room. Other than that I can not think of why this should be a 4 Star. It needs renovations or should be less expensive. But unfortunately most hotels in Montreux are expensive.. We paid CHF 144/Night.

The hotel is about 10 Minutes walking from the main station.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ayr Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We booked into this hotel through an agent and when we read the reviews we were really worried! However we had a nice large room on the third floor which had been refurbished. We found the staff at the Royal Plaza really polite and helpful and had breakfast included in our room rate. Villa Toscane is a three star hotel in decor and facilities but the hotel amenities at the Royal Plaza make up for it. We were able to use the internet free at the Business Suite and print boarding passes etc.

We really enjoyed the location of the hotel and loved Montreux and the availability of trains and buses. We were given a Monteux Riviera Card which gives you free transport in the area on buses and trains. We travelled using half price Swiss cards and had a great holiday.

I would recommend:
Goldenpass railway journeys to Rochers-de-Naye, Chocolate
train, journey to Gtaad.
We will return but will know which rooms to request!

Room Tip: Phone and request a refurbished room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Toscane? Share your experiences!